The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 7, 2018, 11:37 AM   #26
dogtown tom

FrankenMauser
Quote:
Quote:
Size of the shop has nothing to do with anything.
And there's no "getting caught with your pants down" as no law is being violated if they hand the gun to the buyer. If the transaction comes back denied days or weeks after the firearm has been transferred the dealer just tells the FBI when they call......and its now the FBI/ATF's responsibility.
(...)
There's nothing at risk as long as the dealer complied with the requirements of the law.

Two words: Civil suit.
You can be sued for anything. Which is why it is a good business decision to have insurance. If a gun dealer is that paranoid about what occurs after he has legally transferred a firearm then maybe he ought not be in business to begin with. Transferring a firearm after the three day delay has expired is no different than transferring with a "proceed".......both comply with the Brady law.

And then there's this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protec...ce_in_Arms_Act

Quote:
If the delay turns into a denial, he can find out why during the appeal.
HE HAS NOT BEEN DENIED HAS HE? Until he gets a denial you're just rambling.

Quote:
And if, as you say, "he keeps getting delayed" ... then it is his own fault.
That is what a UPIN is for.
Good grief. You seem to believe that delays are the result of an action by the buyer, that something they did in the past is causing the delay.........that's not at all correct.

Getting a UPIN does not solve all delays or denials.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old March 7, 2018, 11:40 AM   #27
dogtown tom

Quote:
CoffeeShooter You said they may never call back dogtown Tom? How do I get my guns if NICS won’t call the gun store and gunstore won’t sell without a call?
You don't.
Take your business to a different store and before you hand over any $$$ or fill out the 4473 ask about their NICS delay policy.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old March 7, 2018, 11:50 AM   #28
CoffeeShooter

Yeah I lucked out and haven’t paid yet. In a way this delay is a blessing cause i both did more research and found out in getting a little extra on tax return so getting a Glock 17 instead of a TP9SA
Old March 7, 2018, 11:52 PM   #29
SonOfScubaDiver

I have gotten a delay response on every single gun purchase I have made. I've come to expect it. What I've learned is that there are some gun dealers that proceed after the three day delay, and there are some that won't.

Academy Sports is one that won't. I went to one of their local stores during their Christmas sale two Christmases ago and was going to buy a Bersa Thunder and an SD9VE. As usual, I got delayed. After three weeks of calling the store to check on the approval, I was finally informed that Academy will not sell a gun without a firm proceed. Needless to say, I was pissed--not because they have this policy, but because no one bothered to mention it until after I had waited three weeks! I ended up buying the Bersa Thunder somewhere else and ended up getting an M&P 2.0 instead of the SD9VE from the same dealer when they first came out.

Coffee, because getting delayed is a very real possibility when buying guns, I suggest you find dealers to do business with that are willing to transfer guns after the three day waiting period. Otherwise, you could end up waiting for weeks, or months even, for a proceed that never comes. Going through the UPIN process can help, but getting one does not guarantee that you will not be delayed. Neither will getting a gun permit, depending on the state you live in. Welcome to the wonderful world of government inefficiency when it comes to buying guns!
Old March 8, 2018, 12:36 AM   #30
JoeSixpack

SOSD

Since you've had a lot of experience with this I have a few questions, I'll understand if you don't want to answer them.

#1 what is your race? (Sorry, hate to bring it up Im just curious if minorities are being tagged with delays more)
#2 do you provide your SSN?
#3 Have you ever found the reason for any of the delays? is it always the same reason.
Old March 8, 2018, 07:32 AM   #31
SonOfScubaDiver

#1-Hispanic, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. My son has never been delayed.

#2-Yes, but it has never helped.

#3-No, I haven't found out why but that's because I've never gotten a deny status, just always delay. It's possible that my arrest record from when I was young and dumb plays a role in it, but none of that resulted in a felony conviction. I passed background checks to become an insurance agent years ago, and more recently for truck driving related checks including Hazmat and TWIC card.
Old March 8, 2018, 10:04 AM   #32
JoeSixpack

Hmm, I bet your right.. It seems like providing your SSN should eliminate any identity problems so it must be them going over your past.

I wonder if they can put some sort annotation so they don't have to fine toothing your record every time, but I suppose this would require some sort of record keeping and far as I know they're not suppose to.. suppose to be read-only checks I think.

Even so it seems like they should be able to give a proceed rather quickly I would think.. 3 weeks is ridiculous by any standard.
Old March 8, 2018, 10:12 AM   #33
dogtown tom

Quote:
SonOfScubaDiver #1-Hispanic, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. My son has never been delayed.
"Hispanic" is an ethnicity, not a race.
Question 10a asks ethnicity.
Question 10b asks for race.

Old March 8, 2018, 05:55 PM   #34
CoffeeShooter

Delayed one background check at one store and passed at another!

Well 8 days ago one store I was delayed which is a blessing cause I changed mind about what firearm I wanted. Today I went to another while still on delay and I passed and was able to buy a Glock 19. Any reason for this or is all random?
Old March 8, 2018, 06:28 PM   #35
Evan Thomas

Again, merged with existing thread.
Old March 12, 2018, 09:04 AM   #36
riffraff

Posting to an old thread I know, but if you are in a state where long guns and handguns take different paths for the check (& the state does the handgun check) you might have better luck getting down to the bottom of reasons for delay by buying a handgun, observing the delay, and approaching the state agency. Or you might find the state agency does not produce the delay.

It obviously depends a lot on your state. Some states may be a worse black hole than the feds, however others are forced to be accountable and can be questioned directly.
Old March 12, 2018, 09:50 AM   #37
Johny Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
Get a Concealed Handgun License and as long as it is NICS-compliant, you don't have to go through the background check.

Oh really, I have one and have to wait every time. Never use to but the game is even more rigged now. All design to make it more difficult and inconvenient.
A system thrown together under staffed and probably incompetent to boot.

It took my city a month to issue me my permit, after 2 separate approved courses that can only be taken if they are on their approve list. Then you go into the police dept. and fill out a half a books worth of paper work and then pay the fee and wait while they contact every nut-house in the State to see if you where ever a member, this is only good for 4 years, I go again this year and do the same [thing] all over again.

And the permit has to be sign by the Chief of police.
When I got it 4 years ago I had just gotten a parking ticket and called the officer on it at the police dept. When he asked me if I wanted to speak with his supervisor, it hit me like a ton of bricks, I simply smiled and said, "o-know officer I was just wondering why you sited me, where do I pay"

I even lie on my yearly gun club application to say I am a member of the NRA.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; March 12, 2018 at 11:10 AM. Reason: removed vulgarity.
Old March 12, 2018, 12:15 PM   #38
dogtown tom

Quote:
Johny Smith
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
Get a Concealed Handgun License and as long as it is NICS-compliant, you don't have to go through the background check.
Oh really, I have one and have to wait every time.
Yes, REALLY.
At least 50% of my transfers are to holders of a Texas CHL/LTC, which serves as an exemption to the Brady law.

Since you didn't bother to list your state in your profile, I'll bet your permit DOES NOT meet the requirements to serve as an exemption. That's why you get the wait.

Quote:
Never use to but the game is even more rigged now. All design to make it more difficult and inconvenient.
A system thrown together under staffed and probably incompetent to boot.
Uh, what?
While "the game" may be inconvenient, it's not rigged and its not difficult. And I doubt you have any inkling as to whether staffing is incompetent or anything else.

Quote:
It took my city a month to issue me my permit, after 2 separate approved courses that can only be taken if they are on their approve list. Then you go into the police dept. and fill out a half a books worth of paper work and then pay the fee and wait while they contact every nut-house in the State to see if you where ever a member, this is only good for 4 years, I go again this year and do the same [thing] all over again.
And the permit has to be sign by the Chief of police.
Move to a state where they respect your rights. Typically states where they have that much regulation don't have a firearm permit that the ATF recognizes as exempt from the Brady law.

Quote:
When I got it 4 years ago I had just gotten a parking ticket and called the officer on it at the police dept. When he asked me if I wanted to speak with his supervisor, it hit me like a ton of bricks, I simply smiled and said, "o-know officer I was just wondering why you sited me, where do I pay"
Cool story.

Quote:
I even lie on my yearly gun club application to say I am a member of the NRA.
Your parents must be proud.

Old March 12, 2018, 04:48 PM   #39
Johny Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
Just EMAIL me. $20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military,police,fire or schoolteachers)
...and no wait.