The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 26, 2018, 12:45 PM   #1
Kvon2

People Who Wear Glasses

Hello friends,

After months of squinting at the TV I finally made an eye appointment. I'm assuming once I get my vision addressed all of my accuracy problems with go away...just kidding.

My question is, for those of you that wear glasses, what type of lense do you have? Are any considered to be safe while.shooting or will I need to get safety glasses to fit over my glasses?
Old February 26, 2018, 01:45 PM   #2
MislMan

Yes, there are lenses safe for shooting sports. They are polycarbonate lenses and you need to ask about/for them when ordering your glasses. Should be no big deal to whomever you are getting your glasses made by. One thing to consider in this approach is the frame style and how big the lenses are. Do they cover enough of your eye to protect against side entry? Also, will they impair your use of hearing protection? I wear wire frame with slim temple arms and have no issues with hearing protection and medium/large lenses. Might want to skip photo-gray light sensitive lenses as they may darken when you don’t want that. Also, polarizing may not play well withany red-dot or holographic sights if you use them.
Old February 26, 2018, 01:47 PM   #3
jmhyer

Strictly speaking, your prescription eyewear should be adequate. Having said that, you may wish to consider safety glasses that fit over prescription eyeglasses. I say this for two reasons. Firstly, they will probably do a better job of providing a larger field of protection around your eyes. Secondly, you can get any number of shaded variations that will double as sunglasses and help to reduce glare.

EDIT: Sorry that my response is nearly identical to the one just above. We were clearly responding at the same time.

EDIT AGAIN: I have been very happy with these...
https://www.radians.com/radsite/inde...safety-eyewear

Last edited by jmhyer; February 26, 2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old February 26, 2018, 02:17 PM   #4
cw308

I wear only my progressive glasses for seeing , shooting benchrest , handgun & reloading .
Old February 26, 2018, 02:38 PM   #5
Pahoo

Just request these from your Optometrist

Quote:
I wear only my progressive glasses for seeing , shooting benchrest , handgun & reloading .
You can get progressive safety glasses and they come with removable side-shields. The frames are even stronger. They cost a little more but you can have the best of both worlds. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old February 26, 2018, 05:11 PM   #6
RedHoundTargets

If you’re able to you might want to look into contact lenses. They’re not for everyone but I prefer them for every day usage, not just shooting. Then you can continue to use your current safety glasses and ear pro as you do now. In my opinion the side shields you can attach to normal glasses don’t give adequate coverage. And you’ll have a tough time finding regular glasses that have a close enough fit. Another option is prescription safety glasses
Old February 26, 2018, 05:35 PM   #7
jfruser

One reason I never got Lasik was that I like to have some glass between my eyes and the world. Even Rx lenses provide some level of protection.

But that written, Rx glasses are pretty poor protectors, even the polycarbonate lenses. They tend to shatter pretty easily if not deliberately manufactured as safety glasses to meet ANSI Z87 or MIL-PRF-31013 impact standards. Some part of it is supposedly due to the coatings process and suchlike, beyond the materials properties of polycarbonate.

Now that my whole family has caught the shooting sports bug, I am going to upgrade from my straight Rx glasses to MIL-PRF-31013-compliant shooting/safety glasses with an Rx insert. I also bought some over-Rx safety glasses and upgraded the wife & kiddos to MIL-PRF-31013 eyepro.
Old February 26, 2018, 09:01 PM   #8
Kvon2

Perfect, plenty of good info here.

Thanks all!
Old February 28, 2018, 02:38 PM   #9
marine6680

I second contacts. They generally make the day to day easier. Sunglasses, safety glasses... Overall just easier.

Finding a brand that is comfortable can be tricky for those new to them. They all fit a little different, but a well equipped modern optometrist can usually make good suggestions of where to start.

There are also high oxygen permiable lenses, which can be worn for a month without removal, but generally it is suggested you remove them and clean them once a week just to rest the eyes and reduce chances of issues.

If you do not go with contacts, then I suggest a dedicated pair of safety glasses for shooting. Side intrusion is a big factor.

Ever have a case bounce off of something and hit you? It happens to me all the time at indoor ranges, especially with pistols.

Not fun to have one bounce into your eye from the side.
Old March 1, 2018, 11:00 AM   #10
locknloader

If you have a light script (- 1 or 2) and little to no astigmatism, contacts are the way to go. If you need toric lenses for astigmatism or have a high script, they will be thicker and very uncomfortable.

As someone who just got lasik, i would highly suggest it. I now have 20/10 vision (better than 20/20) and i had some serious astigmatism in both eyes. My eye doc still can't get over the results, she jumbles the letters a few times when i have to go in to prove i am not memorizing them lol.

I now wear safety glasses with pretty much anything i do to protect my new "super eyes" The day i came home from the surgery my eyes burned and were watery, nothing painful just annoying. When i woke up the next morning, no pain and then just had dry eyes for about 2 months, but you are using eye drops all the time so it's not bad at all.

If safety is your priority you should be wearing googles over script glasses or get some that are rated for impact level you desire and provide adequate coverage of the eye from debris.
Old March 1, 2018, 01:30 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

"...safety glasses to fit over my glasses..." Nope.
"...Rx glasses are pretty poor protectors..." Absolutely not true. All prescription lenses are impact resistant. Asked about it when I got glasses 20 some years ago.
However, these days, it's kind of difficult to find prescription lenses that are big enough to cover your whole eye. Mine are aviator style like Ray-bans. Need one new frame and can't find any.