The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old March 4, 2018, 01:00 PM   #1
M88

What happens to my rifle after a ban

First post, gotta start somewhere. Newbie on this forum but certainly not new to guns. I was pretty good on the range with my M16 in the military 47 years ago and have been shooting all manner of rifles, shotguns and handguns ever since. However, I'm thinking of purchasing a Ruger AR-556. What happens down the road if they ever DO succeed in banning this rifle (again). Would I still be able to shoot it on my private property? What about on a public or private range? Could I legally transport it to and from my house to another (in same state, PA). Did a lot of searching and reading threads here about banning guns, but so far didn’t find the answer of this specific question, what happens to those who already own them when they are banned? If there is already a post on this, please direct me to it.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:19 PM   #2
JoeSixpack

Typically firearm violations are STIFF.

If they grandfather it then you'll be good, although they may setup a registry which failure would probably be fairly stiff.

If they do not grandfather odds are it would be a felony if you're caught with it.

It's hard to know what the future in your particular circumstances are, So this is just speculation.

If a ban did pass in PA (I Doubt it, And I don't see a Federal AWB passing either) The most likely scenario is grandfather with a possibility of registry..

You'll then have to decide if you wanna submit to a registry or not.

I doubt transportation or use will be restricted.

IMO If you want the gun buy the gun, don't worry about a possible ban.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:47 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Hi. It depends entirely on where you are and what your elected representatives decide.
It'll be far worse if the ATF is once again permitted to make law by regulation though. When they decided that 'Once an MG, Always an MG' would be their policy(no law enacted by elected representatives says that either Federally or in any State.), there were all kinds of small smithies building rifles on surplused M-14 receivers. The ATF confiscated all of 'em with no compensation. That is entirely possible with the assorted AR-15 clones too.
"...a possibility of registry..." You have that now. All those ATF forms are defacto registration. It's how the ATF knew who had purchased a .223 calibre rifle when those criminals were shooting up the DC area back in 2002. Despite the fact those forms are supposed to be destroyed.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:48 PM   #4
JeepHammer

First off, YOUR rifle won't be 'Banned', there will be a grandfather clause for existing firearms.
If you live in a state that went WAY too far, there MUST be a buy back program, they can't just March in and take your rifle.

Second, the issue is the firearms laws & enforcement hasn't kept up with technology.
The last sweeping change was in 1937 when there simply weren't any military battle rifles based on a semi-auto or automatic platform.
The 1937 revision centered on pistol caliber automatics (sub-machine guns).
Battle rifle caliber machine guns were crew served weapons, not single man weapons.

Third, there is no separate designation for military based, detachable magazine, CENTER FIRE firearms/weapons.
The creation of this category of firearms/weapons was first floated in 1968, and was rejected in the 1983 revisions, the creator was dismissed from BATFE for simply suggesting it.

Fourth, SELF REGULATION!
Support a third category of firearms ownership!
A category between manual cycling (bolt, pump, lever) and full automatic.
The semi-auto, detachable magazine, center fire, military based designs.
Simply support a third category that fits in between the two existing categories, that requires a common dealer transfer ($10-$15), and a one time background check that truck drivers, hazmat haulers, port & customs workers, computer IT guys, and countless other workers have to go through.
This background check costs between $150-$200 dollars, takes about 6 weeks & covers Homeland security, FBI, state & local approval.
This card would allow you to purchase & own semi-autos, high cap mags, and all the other 'Goodies' that are threatened now.

Fifth, require a red FP (Firearms Prohibited) or FR (Firearms Restricted) right on driver's licence & state issued IDs so everyone knows who they are dealing with...
This simple & easy act would let law enforcement, private sellers, etc to know instantly who they are dealing with.

Sixth,
Support a federal law requiring mandated reporters to actually report to a central data base.
This would restrict or exclude DIAGNOSED mentally ill folks from 'Legally' obtaining firearms...
Again, FP would show up on ID/Licence, instant background checks would decline a purchase.
This alone would have stopped about half the mass shootings with 'Legally' obtained firearms.

The reason for the third category is simple,
Military based firearms were designed from the ground up to kill as many people as possible in the shortest time.
The civilian versions do a very effective job, even though they aren't fully automatic.
The technology has changed, the law needs to change also...
You can't tell sick/crazy by looking, you can't tell felons by looking, this would give you some idea who you were dealing with, and the guy owning an AR, G3, FAL, AK, etc CAN afford a background check to own thousands of dollars of firearms, mags, ammo, etc, that background check is a drop in the bucket and also gives the owner the moral high ground, and some protection under the law.
Old March 4, 2018, 01:59 PM   #5
zoomie

Nope.
Old March 4, 2018, 02:21 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

I'm closing this as no one knows until legislation is proposed and passed.

You don't know if there will be grandfathering or mandatory confiscation and turn ins.

We don't know.

Perhaps, contacting your legislators might be of some use.

Closed.