The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 20, 2018, 06:05 AM   #1
manders001

9mm AR rifle with full size magazine

I am in the market for a AR 9mm. I would like one with an AR look, to include the magazine. The little skinny 9mm mags, that many of them have, is a turn off for me. There are many .22 choices with full size mags. Name (link if you can) the 9mm versions with full size magazines.
Old March 20, 2018, 07:49 AM   #2
Ed4032

That will be hard to find. The reason the 22LR are in a full size mag is that they are to be shot in a 556 gun. The 9mm is pretty much a different gun.
Old March 20, 2018, 08:07 AM   #3
stagpanther

Somewhere in the bible of AR manufacturing it is written "Thou shalt not make a pistol cartridge AR that is not compatible with Glock magazines."
Old March 20, 2018, 09:10 AM   #4
Fishbed77

What you are looking for doesn't exist because it doesn't make much sense.

Most 9mm ARs use either Glock mags or Colt SMG mags because they are inexpensive and they work. These are "full-size" mags for the cartridge.

As mentioned, the .22LR mags have a similar shape to 5.56mm mags so they can work in either dedicated .22LR uppers or 5.56mm to .22LR conversion kits. Also, .22LR is a rimmed cartridge that needs a curved magazine to feed properly once you stack more than 10 or so rounds. This curve fits well within the general shape of a 5.56mm mag. 9mm is a straight-walled rimless cartridge that doesn't need a curved mag.

Last edited by Fishbed77; March 20, 2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old March 20, 2018, 09:22 AM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
Most 9mm ARs use either Glock mags or Colt SMG mags because they are inexpensive and they work.
They may work--but far from ideal IMO.
Old March 20, 2018, 02:07 PM   #6
Fishbed77

Quote:
They may work--but far from ideal IMO.
What would be more ideal in your opinion?

Colt adopted a mag based on the Uzi mag, because, at the time of the development of the Colt SMG, it was one of the better mag designs out there capable of accommodating a capacity useful for an SMG (at that time, pretty much all double-stack 9mm mags out there were for either submachineguns or the Browning Hi-Power.)

As far as the Glock mag goes, it's not my favorite design, but it is one of the most ubiquitous, affordable, and reliable 9mm mag designs out there capable of holding ~30 rounds.
Old March 20, 2018, 02:42 PM   #7
stagpanther

I know there are tons of them out there they work fine--but they are all designed around making "fitment" into the existing AR lower receiver design (at least all the ones I've seen) Due to the shortness of the pistol cartridges and where the magazines are positioned relative to the chamber--and the lack of ramps in a blow-back design--those cartridges are getting slammed in at the sharp angle that the glock mags are designed to feed at. It works--but it's less than ideal in my opinion. I personally think a better design would position the cartridges closer to the chamber and rely less on "swatting" the cartridge in. The glock mag, after all, was designed to feed within the tight confines of a pistol slide. Just my opinion.
Old March 20, 2018, 04:21 PM   #8
Fishbed77

I won't dispute that. In my Glock magazine-fed PSA 9mm AR, there is quite a bit of distance between the magazine and the chamber. But the magazine is held at the same angle as in a Glock pistol and feeding is reliable.
Old March 20, 2018, 07:40 PM   #9
manders001

Well, Olympic Arms makes one. I was hoping others did too.
http://www.olyarms.com/shop/pistols/...models/k9.html
In this case, it’s too long. Looks silly.
Old March 20, 2018, 08:36 PM   #10
Eazyeach

That Olympic Arms 9mm is an abomination. It’s hideous.
Old March 21, 2018, 06:21 AM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
I won't dispute that. In my Glock magazine-fed PSA 9mm AR, there is quite a bit of distance between the magazine and the chamber. But the magazine is held at the same angle as in a Glock pistol and feeding is reliable.
True but the cartridge starts out at an extreme angle relative to the bore/chamber, so it has to be forced in by the inertia of the BCG--the cartridge is always going to encounter a significant amount of asymetric force upon the bullet, which is generally not going to be crimped to a significant degree if at all. That BCG is slamming the parts hard--the bolt catch can periodically break and even the receiver slot it sits in can deform over time.
Old March 21, 2018, 07:14 AM   #12
smee78

I thought Olympic arms went out of business?

I have a 9mm AR that takes sten mags with a mag block and its pretty reliable, uses a standard lower. May not be to the looks of the OP but I cant think of anyone who makes such a gun with a fuller looking mag.
Old March 21, 2018, 09:02 AM   #13
Fishbed77

Quote:
I thought Olympic arms went out of business?
I did too.

Regardless, that example shows why 30 rounds of 9mm won't work in a 5.56mm mag. 9mm is both straight-walled and wider than 5.56mm, so you end up with a goofy-looking mag.
Old March 22, 2018, 06:47 AM   #14
Mobuck

So, you want a Chicken but you want to make it to look like a Duck?
I don't follow the logic.
Old March 22, 2018, 08:31 AM   #15
stagpanther

Forgive me if I get this wrong--but did you build yourself a DI 9mm AR mobuck? I can't remember for sure but I think someone who regularly contributes here said they were doing that--maybe CoSteve?
Old March 22, 2018, 06:47 PM   #16
stagpanther

Well what do you know--somebody read my mind.
https://www.rainierarms.com/lead-sta...+Star+Arms+PCC
Old March 22, 2018, 08:05 PM   #17
Mobuck

No 9mm for me thanks.
Old March 22, 2018, 08:11 PM   #18
stagpanther

Sorry!
Old March 23, 2018, 02:14 PM   #19
Mobuck

no problem
Old March 23, 2018, 02:40 PM   #20
9x19

stag',

MarkCo built a DI 10mm carbine... maybe that's what you're thinking of?
Old March 23, 2018, 05:16 PM   #21
stagpanther

That's it! old brain cell(s) isn't what it used to be.

Sure would like to hear how his turned out--I built one but it's a blow-back and very touchy about the kinds of bullets I use.
Old March 26, 2018, 05:19 PM   #22
michaelc246

You might consider a different 9mm platform. Personally, I've had problems with AR 9s, especially running Hollow points. So, I switched to the CZ Scorpion. Awesome gun.
Old March 27, 2018, 06:58 PM   #23
johnwilliamson062

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...prod71749.aspx
https://www.systemthree.com/products...5-minute-epoxy
Old March 27, 2018, 09:53 PM   #24
weblance

Quote:
You might consider a different 9mm platform. Personally, I've had problems with AR 9s, especially running Hollow points
I have had issues with hollow points in my Colt pattern 9mm ARs. They seem to need a round nosed bullet, and Remington Golden Saber is the roundest hollow point I have found. I have run hundreds of these through my 9mm ARs and they are 100% reliable. I'm pretty sure the issue is the double stack mag/feed ramp. I also polished my ramps to a mirror with 1000 grit paper. That really helped.

I don't have near the round count through my Glock mag Just Right Carbine, as I do my 9mm ARs, but I think the single feed ramp/magazine lip/hollow point set up might have an edge with reliability.

Tags
9mm , ar15 , ar9