The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2018, 08:46 AM   #1
GeauxTide

Interesting Article, Unclenik

In the Jan 2019 Rifle issue, they included a copy of the first Rifle issue in 1969. I found an article by Alberto de Castro that made some sense to me. He proposed a simplified alternative to the Kinetic Energy formula (KE=1/2mv(squared), using Potence=Weight times Velocity. Using a 300gr 44mag load at 1100fps, we get a potence of 330,000. Using my preferred 45 Colt load of a 285gr at 1050, we get 299,250. Love to hear your thoughts.
Old December 15, 2018, 09:11 AM   #2
74A95

Same thing as power factor (momentum) used in shooting sports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_...hooting_sports)
Old December 15, 2018, 09:15 AM   #3
ligonierbill

Mass x velocity = momentum. A useful measure to be sure, but no more definitive than energy. You really can't put a single number on bullet performance.
Old December 15, 2018, 09:39 AM   #4
mehavey

Momentum (MV) ~ Penetration
Energy (½MV^2) ~ Destruction
Old December 17, 2018, 03:17 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Momentum (MV) ~ Penetration
Energy (½MV^2) ~ Destruction
Good description^^. Of course, destruction only occurs when the bullet can dump its energy into the target. That's where hollow points come in, etc.

The Momentum or Power Factor calculation in practice favors heavy bullets. That's why most competitive pistol shooters (who have to meet Power Factor requirements) tend to use heavier bullets. From personal experience, a lighter bullet making PF will recoil more than a heavier bullet (all else being equal, blah blah blah). There are exceptions, but in general.

Kinetic energy favors velocity, since the calculation squares the velocity. This calculation favors lighter bullets because you can propel them faster (all else being equal, blah blah blah).

Of course, these two principles are the impetus (pun intended) for most all discussions about the most effective hunting or self-defense ammo.