The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 24, 2014, 07:17 PM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

It's your own personal take on getting into a critical incident where for whatever reason your primary doesn't suffice.

It's a low probability event (as using your gun actually is). You have to make the call.

There are no absolutes - just a continuum of risk on which you make a cut criterion that you feel comfortable with.
Old May 24, 2014, 07:35 PM   #27
Model12Win

I don't think you need a backup gun at all.

That is, until you do.

Make your call, your life is in your hands, but there are a number of tiny pistols out there suitable for BUG use.

NAA has a .22 short mini revolver that is about 2" long and weighs like 3 oz. or something ridiculous, and can be worn on the neck. 5 rounds of .22 short will drop any living creature on Earth with just 1 well placed shot.

It will do the job if YOU can.
Old May 24, 2014, 07:54 PM   #28
JERRYS.

what some people fail to realize is that one can have their hand on a gun (bug) in their pocket without alerting anyone. this is far better than walking to your car with your hand on you belt holstered gun.

that said, its already been pointed out that you must decide if you need a bug (with whatever clairvoyance you can muster).
Old May 24, 2014, 08:20 PM   #29
Bezoar

well look at logistics.

if you carry a back up, you have extra weight to carry. say a respectable 13-20 ounces.

then the ammunition in the gun itself, 6-9 rounds of 380/9/45acp or 5-7 rounds of 38 special.

then the weight of reloads, etc.
Old May 24, 2014, 09:00 PM   #30
JERRYS.

Bezoar, most Americans can lose that weight by simply eating smaller portions or walking father than the recliner to the fridge. a BUG need not be an air weight S&W J frame. a Kel-tec P32 loaded to the hilt very light in the front pocket is better than nothing to supplement you primary.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:17 AM   #31
Bezoar

re the weight of extra equipment was not being intended as a "loose 5 pounds, you can then carry an extra 5 pounds in guns and ammo"

even if you have the magical backpack from "the land of the magick troll king" that lets you carry unlimited weight, the unlimited weight has to go somewhere......

it still has mass and shape that has to be accounted for.
if your only spot to hide a gun is the small of your back... where does the extra gun go?
Old May 25, 2014, 01:09 AM   #32
JERRYS.

weak side front pocket. I guess it depends on how many pens, note pads, tooth picks, pocket knives, chap stick, whatever it is you have to carry other than a bug.

please don't carry a second gun because somebody on the internet says its a good idea. if you don't think its a good idea don't do it.
Old May 25, 2014, 09:31 AM   #33
Shadi Khalil

I say, yeah go for it, carry the bug. Why not? If you are comfortable with the weight of another firearm and feel its necessary, why would you need convincing?

I do not carry a bug and never have. I feel comfortable with 1 pistol and a reload, which works out to 30 rounds in my EDC. However, in the winter time, a small LCP type pistol to carry along in a coat pocket wouldn't be so bad.
Old May 25, 2014, 09:39 AM   #34
arizonaopa

A spare is not always bad

I always carry when I leave the house. As far as a backup, that is what the truck gun is for. In AZ it is not always feasible to carry a BUG during the summer since the heat keeps clothing to a minimum. For that reason, I carry an extra magazine and keep a BUG in my truck. I know that this seems ridiculous since I have to get to the truck to get the BUG but when traveling it is the best I can come up with.
Old May 27, 2014, 01:37 PM   #35
kinoons

This one is easy -- there is no convincing. If you feel the need or desire to carry a back up then go for it. If you don't think one would apply for you then don't.

there is a law of diminishing returns as we carry tools for self defense. A single firearm is more than what we need for far more than 99.99% of our life. a second firearm would then be applicable for that 0.001% situation.

If you want to have absolutely every base covered then go for it. If you're okay rolling that dice then that's your choice too.
Old May 28, 2014, 06:11 PM   #36
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinoons
If you want to have absolutely every base covered then go for it.
Wow, I never knew that a backup gun was all it took to cover EVERY possible situation that you may run into!

Or maybe you just have a limited imagination!