The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 16, 2014, 05:45 PM   #1
sbaker10

Does testing pepper spray cause leakage?

I am a college student so I cannot carry a gun on campus, nor am I old enough for a concealed carry license. I bought 2 cans of pepper spray, one larger can in a cone pattern for if someone tries to carjack me or assault me while I have a back pack and a smaller can of pepper gel.

I would like to test both to see how they pattern, the neighbors dog also attacks my car every time I leave and they gave me permission so I would like to give him a quick squirt so he won't get ran over.

That being said, I am worried about testing one or both cans and having the pressure leak out over time faster than if new. Is that possible over a new can? Just talking like a 1-2 second spray.
Old April 16, 2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Sharkbite

No leakage.

Ive used OC as a LEO many times. Use till the can is mostly empty and replace. I never worried about leakage after the first use

You may want to wash the outside of the can after use. Cross contamination aint no joke. Ask me how i know
Old April 16, 2014, 06:10 PM   #3
sbaker10

Oh I know, had a keychain cheapo that I sprayed a few times a year ago, and it either ran out or leaked, well long story short I found it in my drawer, went to throw it away, rubbed my eyes, and well
Old April 16, 2014, 06:16 PM   #4
TXAZ

Define "leakage". If you give a quick shot outside, then come inside, you will likely smell / feel the OC for some time. It's not a classic leak, just the residue left in the nozzle north of the valve. For some people that small amount is still very unpleasant inside.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 16, 2014, 06:18 PM   #5
sbaker10

Propellent leakage
Old April 16, 2014, 08:15 PM   #6
Aer656y9

Have you ever been sprayed yourself with that stuff? I don't recommend spraying any animal with that stuff unless it is actually attacking YOU. I feel for your car but spraying it is not going to teach it a lesson like it would with a person. That dog will be back again and again to go after those cars. In the meantime, all you will really have accomplished is....well, torturing an animal unnecessarily. I think you'd be better off calling animal control in your area and letting them know that the dog is going to end up getting hit and have them give the owners a notice to keep the dog restrained. Poor dog. I use pepper spray in prisons, on murderers and rapists.

Anyway, back on topic, you will be fine. Those cans are not as bad as the cheap aerosol cans that you get elsewhere. I've been working in corrections for a while and that can has never dissipated on me. One day I spray an inmate, wait a month, and its still good to go on the next inmate. However, like that one guy said, be careful with residual spray as you will almost certainly get some on you when you test it out. I don't think I have ever used OC without getting a little bit on me too.
Old April 16, 2014, 08:53 PM   #7
Auto5

Sbaker,

Be thankful you didn't have to scratch an itch in a sensitive area.
Old April 17, 2014, 12:00 PM   #8
Derbel McDillet

Just as with a gun you also need to function test your can of pepper spray to make sure it works like it's supposed to.

If you ever need to use it in self-defense hopefully you can maneuver yourself to be upwind prior.
Old April 17, 2014, 05:11 PM   #9
Doc TH

The original poster stated that he wished to spray the neighbor's dog to prevent the dog from being run over by his car. I did not get the impression that he wanted to do so simply to inflict discomfort or pain.
Old April 17, 2014, 05:18 PM   #10
Corrections Cop

I have never heard of anyone function testing OC? I have never ever had that taught to me in ether in Police or Corrections training. And I would also not spray it on an animal unless it was attacking me. It is still a use of force and could be construed as animal cruelty. And like others have said more than likely you will get some OC on you as well.
Old April 17, 2014, 05:33 PM   #11
stealintv

+1 on not spraying the dog unless it is attacking you. Fwiw, the gel & foam types are better for indoors as they will not contaminate bystanders. The actual spray is good for outdoors.

Definitely wash really good after your testing. Even if u think it didnt get on your hands, go to the bathroom and you will be washing more than your hands in the sink...

For the foam types, more spray does not equal better performance. Too much propellant will actually wash the irritant off the attacker's vital areas.

Finally, try searching for inert/training cans if you want to train with it. Especially with the cone/fog spray. U kind of need a controlled environment to test that stuff. If you have never trained or been sprayed yourself, you are in for a surprise if you misjudged the wind direction ....
Old April 17, 2014, 05:35 PM   #12
357 Python

If it leaks from testing then you should toss it while you can. If you can get the same spray local area law enforcement gets. Most commercial sprays are severly watered down. There are several good and highly reputable police supply dealers who will sell to non-law enforcement. Also after you use or test it wash your hands for several minutes so that any residue that may get on your hands won't cause problems later. One other thing, do not touch your face until you have washed your hands completely. The residue on your hands could get into your eyes.
Old April 17, 2014, 05:35 PM   #13
stealintv

One other thing I forgot.

Google the "kimber pepper blaster"

Its like an oc pistol. They even make a belt clip holster, and a laser sight for it!

Awesome
Old April 18, 2014, 12:18 PM   #14
musher

I always spray test a can before I carry it. Only ever had one lose its pressure over time and it was obvious something was wrong with it as it "bubbled" after releasing the trigger.

Concur with the others about spraying the dog. One spray won't put it off chasing cars. Your neighbors would be MUCH better off investing in a training collar and correcting the dog each time it takes out after a car. Works even better if they aren't in view when the correction happens.
Old April 18, 2014, 02:07 PM   #15
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Google the "kimber pepper blaster"
A couple of caveats -

- Only 2 shots of OC and you're done. Need to practice on aiming techniques.

- Some locales do not consider this to be an OC Spray as its propellant is not compressed gas. It is set off by a gun powder type of propellant. It falls into the same category as a firearm in some places.
Old April 20, 2014, 11:20 AM   #16
Derbel McDillet

Quote:
I have never heard of anyone function testing OC?
The nozzle could have a factory defect and produce an unacceptable stream/spray.

The aerosol propellant charge could have a factory defect.

The cap assembly could have a factory defect that affects proper operation.

Any of this is possible in a new, out of the box canister. (Perhaps more so with the smaller consumer sized units.)

Better to test it and know it works than to need it in self-defense and have it fail.
Old April 20, 2014, 04:42 PM   #17
Corrections Cop

Before a cell extraction we have never function tested the canister. In Leo and correction training we were never told to function test the canister. That's just us maybe others are different.
Old April 20, 2014, 07:47 PM   #18
Fishing_Cabin

No hard and fast rule that I have ever heard of. I do a quick squirt every few 4-6 months when I think of it. Try to take it out and shake it every week or so. Some places try to replace it around every 24 months or so.

Oh, it doesn't do much with bee's the couple of times I tried it.
Old April 20, 2014, 08:26 PM   #19
colbad

OC spray stays strong for a long time. However, it is the propellant that gets week over time. Your spray should have an expiration date on it which you can generally rely upon. Cracking the can by using it should not make any difference. Keep in mind that often there is residue on the trigger that can get on your finger and transferred to areas you wish it wasn't.

I would recommend a GENTLE whiff for your own self edification. OC is good but not effective on all. When we used to be issued OC we had to be sprayed as part of the certification. I personally thought it highly effective on me and was clear in my mind that if someone attempted to engage me with pepper spray I would shoot him because he would most likely have my gun while I was trying to see and breath. Thus the point of being sprayed.

My point to you is to treat that spray like it was weapon and not a toy. You fool with the wrong person, the response may be a bullet.
Old April 20, 2014, 10:26 PM   #20
db4570

Good topic.

What are some of the better brands or types that LE use?

David
Old April 20, 2014, 10:53 PM   #21
markm_04

Sabre Red
Old April 20, 2014, 10:55 PM   #22
colbad

I have use Defense Technologies MK6 & MK4 and that was very effective.
Old April 21, 2014, 08:39 AM   #23
trapper9260

I have read from a post somewhere that a cop stated to use raid bee spray for self defence from someone because of you get the one that shoots 25ft . You will not have to be close to them to spray and get away from them. Also like was stated some store bought that is not used for law that it is water down.and that some people it will not do what you want it to do that raid works better then that.also I would not use it on a dog like was stated because you wil get the law on you for what is said also . The owner of the dog need to take care of there own animal and if not do what is stated on that also. Hope this helps.
Old April 21, 2014, 10:31 AM   #24
besafe2

Best IMO

David:
Fox Labs pepper spray.

Last edited by besafe2; April 21, 2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old April 21, 2014, 12:30 PM   #25
colbad

Don't know about bee spray, but would only buy something from a Cop Shop that is LE quality. If your "threat" is 25 feet away sounds like you have other options..... like running.