The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 3, 2017, 08:33 PM   #1
FLChinook

DISCONTINUED?? Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 Scopes

OpticsPlanet.com has the following on their site:

Product Discontinued by Manufacturer.
Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 Rifle Scopes - Plex, 4A, BRX, BRH BT Plex Reticle Riflescopes has been discontinued by Swarovski and is no longer available. Our product experts have helped us select these available replacements below. You can also explore other items in the Rifle Scopes category yourself to try and find the perfect replacement for you!

Is this true! Can OpticsPlanet be trusted???
Old December 3, 2017, 10:07 PM   #2
Dufus

Optics Planet is in the business of selling scopes plus a lot of other neat things.

Why couldn't/wouldn't they be trusted????
Old December 3, 2017, 10:46 PM   #3
FLChinook

I certainly hope they can be trusted. We might know for sure if we find the Swarovski scopes are discontinued; since no other sellers are showing them as such. A sceptic might think a seller labeling something as discontinued when it’s not might be out of the item and trying to sell something they have... just wondering...
Old December 4, 2017, 12:20 AM   #4
Dufus

It is called "back order". Companies use this feature when they are out of stock and want your business.

Instead of blasting Optics Planet with doing shady business, have you checked the manufacturers site to verify before raising a stink??

FWIW, I have the highest regard for Optics Planet along with other retailers.
Old December 4, 2017, 01:21 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Isn't according to Swarovski's site, Cabela's Canada, .sportoptics.com, et al. That doesn't mean OpticsPlanet.com still carries 'em though. If you search on their site for other Swarovski stuff, that's not available either. Says OpticsPlanet.com no longer carries 'em. A $1200 plus scope is probably a hard sell.
Old December 4, 2017, 01:38 PM   #6
FLChinook

I just wish they had said, "Product discontinued by this seller..." That would have been less misleading.

Agreed, $1200+ is a heavy lift for a scope but my eyes are old and need all the help from great glass they can get. And I know, the law of diminishing returns says there's probably scopes out there that are almost as good and cost less; some would probably even argue better and cost less... but the purpose of this thread is not to start another discussion about "best scopes"; simply to question a selling practice that rubbed me the wrong way.

No disrespect for those shooters who think OpticsPlanet is a great place to buy...
Old December 4, 2017, 02:51 PM   #7
Dufus

I didn't mean to offend the OP either.

After checking Optics Planet, it is evident that they do not sell any Swarovski rifle scopes, not just the model that you mentioned.

They do sell March Optics, which in my opinion are some of the finest optics made.