The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 16, 2017, 05:22 PM   #26
Deer hunter88

Quote:
Originally Posted by otasan View Post
Actually, I must ask you. Why not a Glock pistol?
I don’t see any need to spend a butt load of money when I can get something a little less expensive that will be just as reliable and still get the job done.
Old December 16, 2017, 05:26 PM   #27
otasan

I got my G17 used in 1989 out in Los Angeles, CA for $450.00 in 1989. Lots of cops are selling their Glocks (being replaced by newer ones). BTW, my G17 has never jammed on me, and it weighs just 32 ounces fully loaded.
Old December 17, 2017, 12:08 PM   #28
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I don’t see any need to spend a butt load of money when I can get something a little less expensive that will be just as reliable and still get the job done.
But you still haven't helped in getting suggestions by stating what "job" you want the gun to do.
Is it for concealed carry? What type of concealed carry?
Is it for home defense?
Would it be used to just keep in a vehicle?
Is it to be just a range toy?
Or, do you just want to buy a gun?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 17, 2017, 12:20 PM   #29
bungiex88

Not going to recommend a gun for someone else but I own the lcp and I put a laser on it and it seems to be of good quality gun I like it. I use it for backup carry gun. I wouldn't buy it for home defense though get something bigger if it's just for home defense. And when I say bigger I don't mean a 380 isn't sufficient enough to do what you need but bigger as in a full size pistol for home defense but as far as pocket carry gun the lcp is nice and small
Old December 23, 2017, 01:56 PM   #30
Arbrn Rngr

I carry a Ruger LC9 with the built in crimson trace. Laser activates as soon as your middle finger grasps under the trigger guard. at 21 feet can stack ballistic hollow points between optic nerves.

Personally though, I would only carry a wheel gun, unless you put a BUNCH of rounds down range, and practice, practice, practice clearing dead rounds and jams.
Old December 23, 2017, 02:05 PM   #31
brian33x51

Thankfully that's just you on the wheelgun. I have a couple of semi autos that have never failed on me yet. A couple of others that stove piped on other shooters who were limp wristing, and a couple others that have never jammed with proper mags.
Old December 23, 2017, 02:08 PM   #32
Arbrn Rngr

Don't let anyone argue you out of a laser. Most felons are probably not going to attack/break in at high noon on a sunny day.

Crime happens in low light for a reason.

Practice with both sights though.

I spent 13 years looking through iron sights, here to tell you, would rather have a laser then not. Anyone can ramble all the doo doo they like, but when the shooting starts a laser in low light will aquire and HIT your target faster then open sights for everyone except Wyatt Erp.

If you have never been in combat, or shot at....LOADS different then paper targets, combat courses, and x-box.
Old December 23, 2017, 03:16 PM   #33
arquebus357

I would not bother with a red laser. They are pretty useless most of the time. The green laser sights are about 10 times more effective than the red. I have one on a 9mm carbine that will just about light up a dark room and is visible in sunny daylight.
Old December 23, 2017, 07:42 PM   #34
otasan

Lightweight, Compact and Powerful. Ruger LCP.
Old December 24, 2017, 10:33 AM   #35
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Most felons are probably not going to attack/break in at high noon on a sunny day.
And they are not going to happen at distances requiring an electronic gimmick either. Actually, nor even sights for that matter. Money spent on ammo to learn and practice instinct shooting is much better spent than on circuits and batteries that Murphy's Law says could quiye possibly fail at the most crucial time.
If you have the extra $ for the laser go ahead and put one on for that once in a thousand chance you might need it. But more importantly learn, and shoot without it first.
But then who am I to say this in opposition to the "professionals" on TV, anf Youtube that get paid to sell them?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; December 24, 2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old December 24, 2017, 05:49 PM   #36
Arbrn Rngr

Well, I would rather be able to shoot with both, and have both. I have seen men in combat miss at 10 feet. It's real easy to say how you will react when no one is shooting at you. Course I guess your right, TV professionals and those that sell lasers get the last word.
Old December 24, 2017, 05:50 PM   #37
Arbrn Rngr

Brian33x51,

Well, lets hope that auto does not jam when your life depends on it.
Old December 25, 2017, 05:33 PM   #38
Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbrn Rngr View Post
Brian33x51,

Well, lets hope that auto does not jam when your life depends on it.
Not likely. That's why the police, military, and the vast majority of civilians carry, and use semi auto pistols.
Old December 27, 2017, 07:46 PM   #39
otasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
Not likely. That's why the police, military, and the vast majority of civilians carry, and use semi auto pistols.
And over half of the cops in America carry Glocks.
Old December 29, 2017, 02:31 PM   #40
Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by otasan View Post
And over half of the cops in America carry Glocks.
Because they get them for next to nothing, and enter into service agreements. Low bid.
Old December 29, 2017, 08:16 PM   #41
The_Jerkman

Glocks are great if you like ergos of a brick and can't afford/don't want to buy a quality gun like a Heckler and Koch

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old December 29, 2017, 09:10 PM   #42
Doc Holliday 1950

I'll throw my 2 cents worth. Why don't you rent all 3 & then make your decision?
My preference is a 9mm over a 380. But never Taurus. Go for quality.

Doc
Old December 30, 2017, 04:22 PM   #43
Arbrn Rngr

Yep, police and military do carry autos. But we also put thousands of rounds downrange and practice clearing dead rounds and jams. I carry an auto for CCW, but clearing a jam is automatic.....if you practice.

Auto's are awesome, high capacity and fast, but if you bet your life on a tool that will never malfunction....good luck.
Old January 1, 2018, 04:21 AM   #44
hemiram

I have 3 Taurus PT111 G2's, so I would pick that. Mine have been great. I have upgraded to the Lakeline LLC recoil assembly on two of them. Not because of any issues, just for peace of mine, over the plastic originals. The size and capacity of the 111 a perfect blend.
Old January 1, 2018, 01:07 PM   #45
peacefulgary

Another vote for the LCP here.
It is so small and light weight you'll practically forget your're carrying.

But add a Hogue HandALL grip....it will make it feel perfect, and absorb some of the recoil too.
Old January 2, 2018, 10:50 AM   #46
otasan

LCP comes from a great USA gun-maker.
Old January 6, 2018, 06:27 PM   #47
Terry A

Don't know if you made any choice yet, but I would stay real far away from Taurus. My son had the exact model you're inquiring about and after two trips back to the factory, he sold it. It was either a "lemon" or it's just a junker.

The Ruger LCP is a great pistol. We have one in the family and it's never malfunctioned, with any type ammo.

In my opinion, the S&W Bodyguard is the best choice of the three. My wife uses this for her EDC and it's been flawless. Eats any type ammo, never malfunctioned and is an easy shooter for her.

Good luck on your choice, and have fun deciding! That's one of the fun things about our love for guns......picking another one!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old January 7, 2018, 08:53 AM   #48
Nathan

Quote:
I’ve been thinking about buying a new handgun and I have it narrowed down to three so far which are, the Ruger LCP with laser, Smith and Wesson bodyguard with laser, and the Taurus millennium G2. Which of these three would be the better buy?

So you want a super low priced pistol, in a minimalist caliber, with few rounds in the mag. The you want to add weight, awkwardness and $200-$300 in a laser.

Somebody said Glock and you replied:
Quote:
IMO, you should be prioritizing things like caliber effectiveness, capacity, shootability over lasers.

XD, M&P, 320.....maybe Canik...Ruger 9E is $259 right now at Grabagun....
Old January 7, 2018, 09:21 AM   #49
Road_Clam

Here we go again this will end up about 200+ posts of opinionated arguing.