The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 16, 2016, 09:36 PM   #1
Pep in CA

Drill Sergeant Dog Training ... Too funny

This video made me laugh so hard I just had to share it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKy02wYzoGs
Old July 25, 2016, 01:42 AM   #2
bamaranger

Labs

You cannot help but admire a well trained Lab and what they are capable of accomplishing.

Here's to my old pal "HanK".
Old August 1, 2016, 12:13 AM   #3
Pep in CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger
You cannot help but admire a well trained Lab and what they are capable of accomplishing.
bamaranger, what the trainer in the video I posted can get his trainees to do is amazing. Watch the other videos on his YouTube channel.

Dogs truly are man's best friend, and labs especially are terrific hunting companions. Sorry for your loss of Hank. I know how you feel.
Old August 1, 2016, 09:52 PM   #4
Model12Win

Those dogs were eating grass... as sign of illness?
Old August 3, 2016, 12:55 AM   #5
bamaranger

Labs

Yeah, I watched that guys stuff, and the dogs he's worked up are first class. I'm not any kind of a waterfowler, only nibbled around the edges of the sport for a few years while in AR, but a pal had a good lab named Doc that we used in our hunts. When Doc got hit and killed, Terry called me up in tears.

My Hank was more of a pet than a hunter, but he was as sharp as a tack and the easiest dog to train I ever had. I was working with him as a bloodtrailer for bowhunting and he was showing real promise. A no good heartless cuss down the road shot him for getting in his garbage. Other than the day my Dad died, it was the worst day in my life.
Old August 3, 2016, 01:06 AM   #6
bamaranger

grass

Grass eating can be a sign of digestive trouble. It can also mean your dog likes to chew grass. Some dogs yak after chewing grass, others just go on being dogs. I don't know if I have ever owned a dog (and I've had a bunch) that did NOT chew grass in some degree.

My own stance is if I have a chewer/yakker, and it persists, or I can see weight loss or other signs of poor health (stool, distension) we see the vet. In some instances I have simply changed dog foods, and that has helped solve such issues.

Hank's replacement "Ace" is a chewer. Pretty healthy at 93 lbs his last visit to the doc.
Old August 5, 2016, 04:17 PM   #7
buck460XVR

Dogs eat grass for a multitude of reasons. Mostly cause they just like the taste of it, especially if they are used to a bland diet. Canines are not true carnivores like cats, more omnivore like bears. Wolves, coyotes and foxes eat fruits and grass and often will eat the half digested contents of their Herbivore prey's stomach.

....and yes, dogs with upset stomachs will eat grass and throw up. But it's the sharp edges of grass and stems that tickles the throat/stomach of the dog and makes it throw up....not the grass itself. Dogs with tummy aches gulp the grass, leaving it basically whole. Dogs that eat grass for the taste/variety chew the grass before eating it, thus it does not irritate the throat/stomach and they do not throw up.

The video, itself, was a waste of 4 minutes, altho it did remind me of many inept dog owners I have known over the years.
Old August 5, 2016, 06:06 PM   #8
Pep in CA

As the OP, I admit that my original post was not exactly firearms related. It was about training hunting dogs and I posted it because I found it humorous ... and I think TFL forums could benefit from some humor.

But I didn't think the thread would morph into a discussion of eating habits or digestive conditions of canines. Silly me. I should have known better.
Old August 6, 2016, 01:55 PM   #9
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Pep in CA :

As the OP, I admit that my original post was not exactly firearms related. It was about training hunting dogs and I posted it because I found it humorous ... and I think TFL forums could benefit from some humor.

But I didn't think the thread would morph into a discussion of eating habits or digestive conditions of canines. Silly me. I should have known better.
Owning hunting dogs for the better part of the last 50 years, eating habits and the digestive conditions of my dogs have been every bit as important as their training. As I said, altho the author of the video may actually be an excellent trainer, the video you posted was 4 minutes of my life I wish I could get back. I was entertained more by the pup nibbling on grass than the bellering trainer trying to imitate a Redneck Bubba Dog Owner. That mischievous pup will probably end up to be the best dog in the bunch.