The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 22, 2018, 01:33 PM   #1
Old Stony

ATN night scopes...worth buying?

I've been using a Sight Mark digital night scope for years now, with good performance and no issues. A buddy is building me a new AR in 6.5 Grendel and we are thinking maybe we need a dedicated scope for that rifle instead of swithing the one off of the 6.5 Creedmore I've been using.
A local business sells ATN scopes and I know nothing about the models or performance of the brand. I'm sure I can buy online a lot cheaper than the local vendor and would probably order one.
Are any of the models worth buying? I'd like to keep the cost as low as possible.
Old February 22, 2018, 06:40 PM   #2
1stmar

I have an atn 5-20x x2 hd. Overall i like it. Though i dont use the night feature, you will need a better ir Illuminator than what it comes with. It has a lot of very nice features most all of which work well. The one feature that doesnt work well on mine is rav. Recoil activated video. I have 2 issues with this feature. The first is it will not turn on above 15x. The second is, even when it is on, it doesnt activate reliabily. All other features work as advertise for me. The ballistic calculator is excellent and right on accurate. Wifi and Bluetooth work well. I havent used gps much. Range finder is ok. I really the like cant meter.
The downsides for me are:
- support - i called about the issues i had w rav and was going to send it back. The tech was clearly not interested in helping. At the end of the call, he tells me “ok i will email you an rma in 24hrs”. -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-?? So i send an email tbe next day saying no rma Nd i finally get it allmg w a response saying i will get a fedex label in 24hrs. 2 weeks and 2 emails later, no label. I aill not send it back, probably never see it again
- battery life- ok you aill find tons of info on how it eats batteries. But what i didnt find was much info on the side effects of low battery. Generally a voltage regulator will ensure the electronics work above a certain voltage and if below it shuts off. Not in this case ylu just get odd probems. It was a bit confusing but in the end buy a rechargeable battery pack from fox optic for 48$ delivered. Well worth it
- finally it has a lot of stuff- it takes a bit to get proficient with all the features

I do like it and i will continue to use it as a novelty but it does work. Optics are so so.