The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 5, 2008, 12:51 PM   #51
warrior poet

One, I never said to ignore wind resistance. Reread and you'll see that. Two, when speaking about mathematic prediction I assumed tumbling. No one ever specified a bullet type, so I went with what I believed to be a general answer. A hollow base bullet- like an SS109 M16 bullet (one I know REALLY well) would most certainly tumble when falling backwards, greatly reducing its rotational velocity (at least in the original vector). My point was that there are far too many variables to predict where the bullet will land and how it will be pointed when it hits. Bullet shape, crosswinds, temperature, altitude, and so on and on make an accurate prediction impossible- a three shot "group" MIGHT cover a three block radius. THAT'S why I said this isn't a calculus problem, but one for statistics. I'm sorry if I came across confusing. Believe it or not, I was trying to keep it relatively simple. As for whether it would be lethal on impact- I wouldn't want to be hit by it.
Anyway, I think we've veered off the original thread (retained lethality after going through a wall) and I'm guilty of helping push it that way. As such... I'll apologize to the OP for helping hijack his post. SORRY.
Old February 5, 2008, 02:22 PM   #52
nobody_special

Quote:
A hollow base bullet- like an SS109 M16 bullet (one I know REALLY well) would most certainly tumble when falling backwards, greatly reducing its rotational velocity (at least in the original vector).
If it still has a high rotation (seems likely), it will not tumble upon falling backwards. Though incidentally, the larger caliber bullets will have a (significantly) higher moment of inertia, and thus are more likely to retain their rotation.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to be hit by it.
Me either.
Old February 5, 2008, 05:01 PM   #53
Th0r

If I was defending my property this wouldnt be an issue. Firstly, I live in a fully detached 250 year old cottage. If I fired a bullet at a wall in my house, it would probably do damage to the stone work. If I fired a gun at the several wooden doors on my premises it might be a different issue.

Basically. I dont think if I were protecting my home and a bullet went through a door etc it wouldnt be a problem.
Old February 8, 2008, 10:37 AM   #54
jabotinsky

My uncle Phil was sitting in his Brooklyn apartment years ago and the guy in the apartment below had a discharge cleaning his rifle that went through the floor, into the bottom of my uncle's foot, out the top, back into his shin, out the calf, into the back of the thigh, out the top and through a shoulder. He wasn't critically injured (!) suffered no long term effect and never bothered to sue the guy.

Quote:
Which would you rather catch if it were falling from a building, a matzoth ball or a cannonball?
If it was my mother's matzoh ball, I'd rather take the cannonball...less dense...
Old February 11, 2008, 09:27 AM   #55
mpage

Quote:
Had a 9mm go off in my house, went through the carpet and foam padding, through the 2x10 hand cut floor and out of my basement wall
The only AD that I ever had was years ago when I fired an old Colt .32 auto into the floor; I had pointed it downwards, out of habit, when I squeezed the trigger and actually fired twice . Admittedly it was "only" a .32 but it did not penetrate the ceiling of the condo below me. Also, the rounds were Winchester Silvertips which may have had something to do with it. They broke up inside the padding and did not travel far.

Quote:
On New Years, many LAPD patrol units working the late show pull into parking garages at midnight, because of falling lead.
In the last 15+ years it's been a little better since they made it a felony, but good God I was there in 1990 and it was like the Battle of Midway. Full auto, everything; the mad minute. I remember a round kicking up sparks a couple yards from me. Unbelievable.
Old February 13, 2008, 02:09 AM   #56
Ridge_Runner_5

I had an AD in my home late last year with a 9mm carbine. It went through the floor of my room, through a heating duct, the ceiling of the room below and lodged in a wall stud in the room below mine. Fortunately I was the only one home at the time, but as a result, I personally do not keep loaded mags in the firearm. They may be with the firearm in the case, but in a seperate pocket.

My dad keeps his pistol with a loaded mag, empty chamber. Thats how i caused my AD, so I dont do it anymore.
Old March 26, 2008, 11:27 AM   #57
M1911

Yes, a bullet that goes through a wall can kill someone on the other side. Here's a recent example:

Quote:
Woman shot, killed by husband
Man used gun to make hole in wall

By RITA FLOREZ

A Deepwater woman died Saturday after being shot in the chest, according to the Henry County Sheriff’s Department.

Patsy D. Long, 34, was pronounced dead by Coroner Scott Largent just after 6 p.m.

Long was shot by her husband Ronald Long outside their home just after 6 p.m., while she was assisting him with the installation of a satellite television system, according to a written statement by the Sheriff’s Department.

Ronald Long, 39, of 956 SE 1121, Deepwater, told deputies he had made several attempts to punch a hole through the exterior wall of the house, according to the report. When that did not work, Long told deputies he used a .22-caliber handgun to shoot through the wall from inside the home. His second shot hit Patsy Long in the chest, the report stated.

Deputies are still investigating the death, and “Once we complete a diagram of the incident, we will be submitting everything to the prosecuting attorney and let him decide if he wants to press criminal charges,” said Major Robert Hills, of the Henry County Sheriff’s Department.

Hills said he could not speak for the prosecuting attorney, but normally in these types of cases the person would “get charged with a manslaughter of some sort.”

Henry County Coroner Scott Largent declined to release any information about Patsy Long’s death until the Sheriff’s Department finishes its investigation.
Original is here: http://www.sedaliademocrat.com/news/...an_county.html
Old March 26, 2008, 11:54 AM   #58
Glenn E. Meyer

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3312784

Chef shot.
Old April 4, 2008, 07:59 AM   #59
bigbadbowtie

Mythbusters did an episode on the bullet shot in the air scenario. You should be able to find it on youtube. Interesting info.
Old April 4, 2008, 08:43 AM   #60
PT111

Two teen age girls were killed at Carowinds outside Charlotte several years ago by some fellows target shooting over a mile away. They ignored several safety rules and laws including the one about not having their automatic rifle licensed.
Old April 4, 2008, 10:35 AM   #61
pax

Yeah, so what if it goes through a wall ...?

A post from one of my best buddies:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...5&postcount=82

Quote:
Marnie, my high-school sweetheart, and my best friend's sister, was killed by an AD. She was at home lying in bed reading a book. Her nine month old son was lying in the bed next to her. Her husband was in the living room watching TV.

Across the street in a different apartment complex, a young man was excitedly playing with his brand new AR14. With some foolish lack of thought, he chambered a round and for some reason even he couldn't explain, pulled the trigger. The bullet went through his wall, across the street, through the wall of her bedroom and into Marnie's brain. It killed her instantly. The baby wasn't hurt. Not directly anyway.

For a moment of stupidity, the young man spent time in jail and will never be allowed to own a gun again for the rest of his life. Marnie's husband and child both lost even more.
pax
Old April 5, 2008, 06:41 PM   #62
pfch1977

Now I didnt mean just any bullet. Of course, a rifle is not meant for home use.

This brings back one of my original posts where I asserted the CX4 storm would be the ideal home defense weapon.

Usually when I fire off a .40 caliber pistol, I feel as if I am on the deck of the USS New Jersey when a big 16 incher is going off. Lots of flash and bang.

However, the .40 coming from a long barrel is much more satsifying.

Check out this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e2d-MznC9M

Look at how smooth of a operation this is when cooking off some rounds. Not much kick and jiggle from the long gun. Not much flash and bang as if your firing a civil war musket.
Old April 5, 2008, 06:55 PM   #63
DRD

A number of years ago, a neighbor's 12 year old son got ahold of his .22 rifle on Saturday morning when daddy wasn't home.
The kid fired a .22LR at a bird, in flight. The bullet punched through the siding on the house next to me, and continued through the insulation and inside drywall. It then crossed through the kitchen, went through an inside wall (total of 2 layers of drywall) and finally embedded in the drywall at the far side of the living room.
Fortunately, no one was home.