The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 14, 2018, 05:28 PM   #1
Wagonman

S&W 645 question.

I just had my 645 reconditioned, I have a question, on the left side of the pistol the same is attach with a Phillips screw. Is there a replacement for the right side safety that I can have installed that looks more appealing.
Picture is not of my particular gun just a representation of what I'm talking about

Last edited by Wagonman; June 14, 2018 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Wrong picture and typos
Old June 14, 2018, 07:13 PM   #2
Sevens

Your picture isn't showing but I assume you meant right side decock lever.

S&W used (for the most part) four different methods across all the 1-2-3rd Gen pistols. Your 645 is a 2nd Gen pistol. In order, they did:

a) single side decock only
b) right lever affixed with ugly Philips screw
c) right lever affixed with better hex-head screw
d) right lever affixed spring loaded pin retainer

Option "d" was obviously the best.

For you to go with option "d" on a 645 would mean that you need to source the entire drum-shaped unit from a 3rd Gen pistol. I know that Brownell's sometimes has these parts, I think you are looking at some $60 or more to get them -if- you can find them. You need the entire left side/right side assembly, you cannot simply attach a 3rd Gen ("d") style right side paddle to a 2nd Gen 645 pistol, sorry.
Old June 15, 2018, 12:33 AM   #3
Wagonman

Thanks.. yes, right side... I had issues with editing and attaching pic. Even a hex screw would look better than. The Philips that’s there. So, I’d have to replace the whole safety mechanism to make it aesthetically pleasing. Is a difficult swap?
Old June 15, 2018, 11:16 AM   #4
Sevens

The swap isn't difficult at all, but finding the parts and getting them for a decent price may be.
Old June 15, 2018, 01:59 PM   #5
Don Dayacetah

Numrich also has HTF parts, from time to time.
Old June 15, 2018, 03:08 PM   #6
RickB

Is the Phillips an odd-ball thread?
Would a specialty fastener company have a slotted or otherwise more appealing screw with the proper thread?
Old June 15, 2018, 05:14 PM   #7
Sevens

I would imagine that is exactly the lowest-cost route to a less ugly right side paddle.

That philips screw has always baffled most folks. WHAT was S&W thinking?! Honestly! It looks like a part stolen from an erector set.
Old June 16, 2018, 05:29 AM   #8
Wagonman

That’s what I mean..it looks like a spare part used in a pinch.