The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 30, 2018, 08:24 PM   #1
3Crows

Ruger Blackhawk with +P

I have a Ruger Blackhawk single action pistol, 4.6 inch barrel. I purchased it new in 1982. It has never been used for anything but fun shooting with standard LC45 ammo.

Now, come forward several decades and I need an anti-bear, hog putter downer. The later more than the former. I am looking at the HSM LC45 Bear Load ammo. It is my understanding that the Blackhawk is plenty strong enough for this +P load.

Is this a true assessment? I do not wish to damage the revolver or myself. Just though you guys would have a better idea on this from experience.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 30, 2018, 10:16 PM   #2
AL45

As long as it is the New Model Blackhawk and not a flat top Blackhawk. I have a load that fires a 350 grain cast lead bullet at around 1100 fps that I fired many times from my Blackhawk. As long as you keep pressures 30,000 or less you are fine. There is plenty of "Ruger Only" loads in various reloading manuals that will work well in your Blackhawk.
Old March 31, 2018, 07:23 AM   #3
tallball

The "New Model" Blackhawk is full-sized. The "flat top" or "Vaquero" is medium-sized. The full-sized models are more than adequate for +P loads. They are rugged revolvers.
Old March 31, 2018, 07:53 AM   #4
3Crows

I do not think they made these "medium" size Blackhawks in 1982 when I bought this one. It is a regular, plain old, blued 45 Colt Blackhawk. The good kind of one.

Thanks, I will see about loading some rounds up for it. Meanwhile I am a fan of HSM ammo, been using it in my 45-70 Marlin as well as home loads.
Old March 31, 2018, 08:19 AM   #5
peterg7

Ruger Blackhawk with +P

I haven’t tried HSM but shoot Buffalo Bore 325HC, 260JHP +P out of my Blackhawk.45 convertible. It thumps me a bit but I use them in moderation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 31, 2018, 08:37 AM   #6
smee78

Your Blackhawk should be fine for your wants. A Blackhawk in 45Colt is a fine revolver and a favorite of mine.
Old April 2, 2018, 09:51 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The "New Model" Blackhawk is full-sized. The "flat top" or "Vaquero" is medium-sized.
Small correction needed here...

The Vaquero (discontinued several years ago) was made on the large (44mag) sized frame. Same frame size as the New Model Blackhawk 45, just made for fixed sights. The guns say "Vaquero" on the frames.

The New Vaquero is a different, smaller frame size gun. The New Vaquero replaced the Vaquero in Ruger's production line. The New Vaquero (note the name is two words) is the approximate size as the Colt SAA and is NOT rated to take the heavier .45 Colt "Ruger Only" loads. The frame says "New Vaquero" on it. Despite the nearly identical name, it is a different gun than the Vaquero, and it is important to know the differences.

Another thing to consider, #1, Ruger NEVER rated any of their .45s for anything but standard SAAMI spec ammo. Officially.

#2) There is no SAAMI spec for .45 Colt +P.
So a +p load is anything over standard pressure. It is entirely up to the ammo maker just how much over standard pressure their +p load is. It could be 3%, or 15% over, or even more if that's what the maker thinks is safe, and everyone who makes a +p .45 Colt load can have a different opinion.

I got my first (new model) Blackhawk in 1983. .45 convertible 7.5" barrel. I've made and shot loads in the .44 Magnum class. The gun will take it. After a few years of that, I settled on a load lighter than full house .44Mag, but heavier than the standard factory load by a little bit.

I shoot a 250gr SWC at approximately 1100fps. Works really well for me, is accurate, and not unpleasant to shoot. Its a personal choice, I don't shoot heavier bullets than the 250gr. If I need something heavier, I go to a heaver (larger) gun, such as the .45-70...
Old April 2, 2018, 09:58 AM   #8
45Colt_Man

Single action Ruger .45 Colts are my passion.

I have 12 Blackhawk's and Vaquero's that are all capable of Ruger Only loads.

I do reload and label each box as to them being Ruger Only loads. Heaviest are 335 grain LBT bullets with a near max load of Hodgdon H110.

Of course I have the option of making much lighter loads if I desire to.

Enjoy your Blackhawk they are made to shoot.

Dana
Old April 2, 2018, 10:05 AM   #9
Jim Watson

A friend wore out a .45 LC Blackhawk with heavy loads back in the 1970s. Ruger overhauled it for a reasonable fee.
Old April 2, 2018, 12:32 PM   #10
GeauxTide

You don't need a hand number......

If it's Black Bear and Hogs, then the 280SAA SWC, from Matt's Bullets, will be plenty. With 10gr of Unique, it comes out at 1050, and will blow through a hog at any angle to 40 yards. Brian Pearce's son put six fist sized exits with this bullet at 1100 through a large Black at 40 yards. My son shot a 150# hog from eye through tail at 20 yards.
Old April 2, 2018, 12:53 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

"...need an anti-bear, hog putter downer..." Any cast bullet BP load will do that. You don't need +P ammo for hunting either critter. It's about using the right bullet and placing said bullet. H
owever, the Ruger, Freedom Arms, TC only loads(250 grain XTP) on Hodgdon's site are considerably hotter in both velocity and pressure than their 'regular' .45 Colt loads. The Titegroup load, for example, starts 244 FPS faster with 11,400 CUP less pressure.
Old April 2, 2018, 02:48 PM   #12
ligonierbill

3Crows, I am not familiar with the "Bear Load" you mention. But, like others here, I have loaded my BH to the "saints preserve us" level. I can assure you that you won't damage the pistol. You, on the other hand, may feel a bit damaged after a couple dozen of these rounds. The nice thing about the Blackhawk, compared to the Super BH, Redhawk or Super RH, is that it is lighter and pretty handy. The downside of that is felt recoil.

My .45 Colt BH can match my .44 Mag RH, but the equivalent load is comfortable from the RH and a knuckle buster from the BH. I mostly shoot 255 "Keith" bullets at just under 1,100, and that's a nice load you can shoot all day. And it will put down any hog right now. Would I pack the Blackhawk with thermonuclear loads in bear country? Sure. It's easier to pack than a bigger pistol, and sometimes a bruised knuckle and numb palm are worth it. Not mostly, though.
Old April 2, 2018, 03:28 PM   #13
tallball

"Small correction needed here... The Vaquero (discontinued several years ago) was made on the large (44mag) sized frame. Same frame size as the New Model Blackhawk 45, just made for fixed sights. The guns say "Vaquero" on the frames."

Thank you. That detail had slipped my mind.
Old April 3, 2018, 07:03 AM   #14
jackmoser65

Quote:
You don't need +P ammo for hunting either critter.
Don't agree at all. There's a whole world of effective loads beyond a standard 45 colt. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be facing a grizzly with a 255gr bullet. Al the big bores do their best work with heavy bullets over 300grs at 1200ft/sec.
Old April 3, 2018, 11:52 AM   #15
GeauxTide

Pretty sure the OP was looking at Blackies because Hogs don't live in Grizz country.
Old April 3, 2018, 12:26 PM   #16
jackmoser65

The point remains. People seem to convince themselves that there is no utility in something they don't like.
Old April 3, 2018, 01:55 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
People seem to convince themselves that there is no utility in something they don't like.
Don't forget the other side of that coin, which is people trying to convince other people that they have a need for something that they don't.

I'm not going to argue about big bores doing their best work with 300gr+ bullets at 1200fps or more, but I will question whether or not one has a need, or even a use for such.

The only grizzly I'm going to run into is either one of the local school football teams, or my .45 Win Mag LAR Grizzly pistol.

My biggest issue with the touting of uber heavy bullets is that it implies that the standard weights don't work, or don't work well enough.

ever see the Pedersen polar bear? Beautiful beast, mounted standing, 12 and half feet tall!!! Taken with a .44 Mag using 240gr (the standard weight) bullets.

I cannot conceive of a plausible situation where a 300gr bullet would work, and a (properly constructed for the task and velocity) 250/255gr would not.

I'm not at all against people using the heavy bullets because they want to. I'm not against saying they work better, when and if they do, what I object to is people saying you need to use X as if nothing else would work.
Old April 3, 2018, 05:14 PM   #18
jackmoser65

Quote:
My biggest issue with the touting of uber heavy bullets is that it implies that the standard weights don't work, or don't work well enough.
It implies nothing of the sort. Nor does it imply that everyone needs to use them for every purpose. Nor did I say anyone "needed" anything. However, the comment I responded to said there was NO NEED for anything heavier or faster than standard loads. To say that there is no use for them or that there's nothing a good +300gr bullet can do that a 250gr can't is just purely false. A good 300gr bullet can DOUBLE the penetration of a 250gr. We don't know this from internet speculation, we know it from experience. Remember, the comment I responded to threw any over pressure load under the bus, including getting those standard weight bullets to 1400ft/sec. if you're going to hunt with the 45 colt, as many do, getting more velocity than 900ft/sec is critical if you want to shoot beyond 50 yards or if you want jacketed bullets to work properly. If you're going to hunt animals larger than deer, bullets 300gr and heavier become VERY useful. I don't care who killed a 12ft grizzly at any point in history, to do so today is foolhardy. Sure, it 'may' work but why risk it when vastly superior choices are readily available. If you need to defend yourself against the great bears, you need a whole hell of a lot more than standard weight bullets at standard pressures.

Not to even mention that the heavier bullets are much more efficient and likely to get the job done without excessive velocity. A 335gr poking along at 1000-1100ft/sec is more effective than a 250gr at 1400ft/sec and worlds apart from the same bullet at 900ft/sec.
Old April 3, 2018, 05:22 PM   #19
LilPewPew

You might need + P for critters bc the 45 are so goddamn slow
Old April 3, 2018, 06:55 PM   #20
saleen322

Quote:
Another thing to consider, #1, Ruger NEVER rated any of their .45s for anything but standard SAAMI spec ammo. Officially.

#2) There is no SAAMI spec for .45 Colt +P.
So a +p load is anything over standard pressure. It is entirely up to the ammo maker just how much over standard pressure their +p load is. It could be 3%, or 15% over, or even more if that's what the maker thinks is safe, and everyone who makes a +p .45 Colt load can have a different opinion....

...I shoot a 250gr SWC at approximately 1100fps. Works really well for me, is accurate, and not unpleasant to shoot. Its a personal choice, I don't shoot heavier bullets than the 250gr. If I need something heavier, I go to a heaver (larger) gun, such as the .45-70...
This ^^. I sent an email to Ruger once asking about +P or Ruger only loads and they said nothing above SAAMI spec should ever be used. The favorite load from our Ruger 45 Colt is a 265 grain @ 980 fps. It will group well under 2" @ 25 yards and if that is not powerful enough then I use a bigger gun. YMMV
Old April 3, 2018, 07:28 PM   #21
jackmoser65

No manufacturer will condone the use of handloads in their guns, regardless of pressure rating. Ruger is just covering its rear. That doesn't mean the guns can't handle it. They've been tested to destruction and we know how strong they are. That these loads are featured in many handloading manuals including Hodgdon, Speer and Lyman, should be proof enough but it never is for some.
Old April 4, 2018, 01:19 PM   #22
black mamba

I have fired 345 grain gas-checked cast bullets over 296 and 4227 that approach 1200 ft/sec with no pressure problems. However, a 300 at 1100 is easier and more pleasant to shoot accurately, and will CERTAINLY penetrate a hog at any angle.
Old April 4, 2018, 06:05 PM   #23
cjwils

Keep in mind that some of the +P loads mentioned above create massive recoil. After I tried a few of those in my Blackhawk, I got some aftermarket grips that fill my hand more completely and have finger groves. That helps me handle the recoil better.
Old April 6, 2018, 09:07 PM   #24
3Crows

Thank you each for your replies, I have read through them and will do so again. I have recovered my BH from my father. I just moved him and my mother into assisted care. I am certain the place would not take to him running about with the Black Hawk or any of the other assorted weaponry he used to have at his disposal.

You are right, I mostly meant blackies and primarily back up for hogs. I do on occasion hike in griz country and will visit, again, Alaska for some more hiking and exploring. The BH may or may not accompany me on such trips, more likely, my 45-70 or some other weapon I may yet have purchased. The BH 45 Colt will mostly do standard duty as a back up for deer, hogs and possibly black bear. Big browns might need the Marlin as unhandy as it's 7 pounds of stainless may be, it packs a George Forman punch even down loaded.

The HSM Bear Load in 45 Colt is potent but not a maximum +P load as are some of the other fodder. I shoot their 45-70 Bear Load in my Marlin and while potent it is not in the BB or Garret power levels.

J
Old April 7, 2018, 11:00 AM   #25
3Crows

Put some HSM Cowboy through it this morning. Ringing my gongs at 50 yards. Just getting reacquainted with the old fella. Shoots good as a Ruger should!

Wood grips, blued frame, transfer bar safety, two screws. Removed a little rust from the sides of the hammer, purtied her all up and gave it general cleaning and lubrication.

I will need to get dies so I can hand load for it. I will want something stouter than cowboy loads for hunting back up but no need to punish the thing with full on bear rounds. I am sure I can build a load as many of you have that is potent but well within the design strength that will shoot pleasantly but still knock a horse down. Not that I want to knock a horse down, just a saying of course . I like horses and cows.