The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 22, 2018, 12:34 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

Anyone have the LCRX 3" .22?

What's your opinion on it? How is the DA trigger pull?

I have the .38 +P and pondering getting a .22 companion for it.
Exact same size and weight, but cheaper ammo.
Old April 22, 2018, 01:44 PM   #2
Wheel-Gunner

I have both, the .38 and the .22. I have no complaints. The DA trigger pull is a bit heavier on the .22, not unlike my other .22 double action revolvers namely my SP101 and 617. Gotta be a bit heavier to strike the rimfire.

Go for it, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. I use both regularly, but the .22 LCRx sees more light. Both are great companions while working out on the acreage.
Old April 22, 2018, 02:01 PM   #3
WheelGunMan

Been looking at purchasing a LCRx 3 inch .22WMR while I'm waiting on Ruger to offer them in .357. It just looks and feels like it would be a fun gun to shoot.
Old April 22, 2018, 02:05 PM   #4
TruthTellers

I had waited for years for the 3 inch LCRx .22 to come out and when it did and everybody complained that it was too light and was hard to hold on target, I didn't buy it and looked for alternatives that were DA/SA.

The Charters are less, the trigger pulls are equally as good/bad depending on how you feel about DA .22 trigger pulls, but they only hold 6 rounds and I hate .22 revolver that only hold 6 rounds.

S&W's aren't worth the money IMO. H&R's are cheap and crappy. Taurus may well be the only other revolver manufacturer who makes or has made a DA/SA .22 revolver that's affordable and worth buying.

The only issue is that it's tough to find the exact Taurus you want unless it's a Judge, PT111, or Model 85. I would say look into what Taurus has made in the past, they made the model 94 and 992 Tracker, both hold 9 rounds, and see if you'd be interested in them.

It's a very slim market for DA/SA .22 revolvers right now and it's likely to stay that way.
Old April 23, 2018, 01:01 AM   #5
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Been looking at purchasing a LCRx 3 inch .22WMR while I'm waiting on Ruger to offer them in .357
I'm in the same boat waiting for them to release a 3" LCRx in .327 Federal. (The versatility of such a gun would be fantastic, in a kit or wherever.) I'm guessing these would happen together if they do since it's only a matter of adapting the heavier-framed magnum LCRx to the longer barreled design. I've watched the LCR grow from its original inception and if the trend holds, this dream could become a reality.

In the meantime, the only reason I haven't jumped on the 3" .22 WMR version is that I haven't seen one IRL. It might have a heavier trigger than the centerfire LCR models but compared to other rimfire guns in this size or weight class, it still sounds like a winner. It'd be a handy kit gun and it's probably a lot of fun. It's not as versatile as the fantasy six-shooter I'm waiting for, and it certainly can't approach the power levels of either of our awaited dream guns, but it actually exists. Now it just has to exist at a local shop or gun show where I can get my mitts on it.
Old April 23, 2018, 08:58 AM   #6
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
I'm in the same boat waiting for them to release a 3" LCRx in .327 Federal. (The versatility of such a gun would be fantastic, in a kit or wherever.) I'm guessing these would happen together if they do since it's only a matter of adapting the heavier-framed magnum LCRx to the longer barreled design. I've watched the LCR grow from its original inception and if the trend holds, this dream could become a reality.

In the meantime, the only reason I haven't jumped on the 3" .22 WMR version is that I haven't seen one IRL. It might have a heavier trigger than the centerfire LCR models but compared to other rimfire guns in this size or weight class, it still sounds like a winner. It'd be a handy kit gun and it's probably a lot of fun. It's not as versatile as the fantasy six-shooter I'm waiting for, and it certainly can't approach the power levels of either of our awaited dream guns, but it actually exists. Now it just has to exist at a local shop or gun show where I can get my mitts on it.
I currently own a LCR in .22WMR, so I have a good idea about the trigger pull...pretty stout but smooth. I'm fortunate, as my LGS has one along with the .38 special on display so I have been able to fondle it on a couple of occasions (Okay, every time I go in there). I actually want to use mine in the defensive shooting comp that I attend weekly in the warmer months. Just need to check with them to make sure it's permissible. Either way I'm pretty sure it will be a fun gun to shoot. I will probably sell the 2" once I get the LCRx 3". I offered it to my wife but I think she's leaning towards an LCR in .357 after shooting mine.
Old April 23, 2018, 01:57 PM   #7
Blade37db

I got one. It came out about 2 months after I bought a Charter Pathfinder

Anyway, my journey to find the right .22 revolver started with the SP101. Felt it was too front heavy for a .22 and sold it.

Tried the Charter but wasn't thrilled with just 6 rounds. Had the cylinder bind up on me once with snap caps. Their CS was very helpful and took care of it right away (I live near their HQ).

Bought the LCRx. Checked all the boxes for size/weight/capacity. Took it to the range once and wasn't very accurate. Rear sight needed adjusting and (if I recall) windage and elevation screws are different sizes. Didn't have one of them (the smaller of the 2) so wasn't able to fine tune that session. Haven't taken it out since.

While every other revolver I have is a Smith, the cost for their .22s was more than I wanted to spend for one.
Old April 25, 2018, 06:41 PM   #8
vizslas

22 revolvers

I have a High standard Sentinel MK1. Bought it used in very good condition.Except for a turn ring it looks new. The 3" barrel and adjustable sights make it a lot of fun to hunt rabbits and plink with.
Old April 26, 2018, 02:32 PM   #9
Obambulate

At 17.3 ounces, the 8-shot LCRx 3" weighs 7.5 oz less than my stainless S&W 63 and costs $190 less. It certainly looks like a great candidate, especially if you intend to carry it.