The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2017, 06:03 AM   #26
eastbank

i started casting in the early 60,s for all my rifles-pistols- muzzle loaders, and still cast for my odd ball rifles and muzzle loaders. but i buy bulk cast-sized and lubed bullets at gun shows, they can be had in many different calibers- weights- dimaters for 45-60 dollars per 500. that may not work for every body, but it does for me. and i was into casting, i still have 3 electric lead pots and 2 sizers with about 40 or so molds. eastbank.
Old July 14, 2017, 11:22 AM   #27
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
i started casting in the early 60,s for all my rifles-pistols- muzzle loaders, and still cast for my odd ball rifles and muzzle loaders. but i buy bulk cast-sized and lubed bullets at gun shows, they can be had in many different calibers- weights- dimaters for 45-60 dollars per 500. that may not work for every body, but it does for me. and i was into casting, i still have 3 electric lead pots and 2 sizers with about 40 or so molds. eastbank.
Thanks Joe Sixpack, it worked!

I don't use commercial cast bullet's. Did it one time years ago in a 41 Mag. Didn't realize you could get that much lead in a barrel. Over the years, now and then I read of someone else that had a leading problem with commercial cast bullet's. Don't ever want to risk leading up a barrel like that again. I think that if you bought them then took them home and lubed them or PC'd them, they would work, maybe!

Easy to keep zinc and steel out of your lead. Melt about 650* and the steel and zink will float out on it's own. They both have a higher melting temp.

Last edited by Don Fischer; July 14, 2017 at 11:37 AM.