The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 10, 2016, 06:04 PM   #1
noelf2

What's with all the ROAs all of a sudden?

Went to the gun show this afternoon and darn near picked up another ROA, a Stainless 7.5" barrel. Appeared in great shape and function. Guy wanted $525, offered him $475 and he wouldn't do it so I walked. When I left, I felt I may have passed up a good deal. At the last gun show I picked up a blued 7.5" model, unfired / new in box. If I hadn't already gone for that one, I think I'd have picked up the stainless. Are people dumping these all of a sudden?
Old December 10, 2016, 08:17 PM   #2
Hawg

Probably getting Christmas money.
Old December 10, 2016, 09:22 PM   #3
Beagle333

Is $525 for a SS one considered "dumping"? I thought that the used blue ones go for about 400-ish. I don't have one, but I have noticed that they always commanded prices about twice that of my own favorite cap shooters. If they dumped em for a LOT cheaper, I might consider getting one just to test out, but I have never wanted to pony up the money that a new Peacemaker goes for.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old December 10, 2016, 09:31 PM   #4
bamaranger

best

A friend far more knowledgeable than I, describes the ROA as the finest percussion revolver ever made.
Old December 10, 2016, 09:41 PM   #5
noelf2

Well the SS ones seem to go for above $600 on gunbroker (not asking price, actual bids) for used ones in good shape. They have to tack on a shipping cost to that as well. I think they are desirable now because there won't be any more of them, they weren't made to be a replica of anything so they have all the modern technology of a Blackhawk, and they have the old Blackhawk frame so, while it's not advertised, you can push much more pressure in them if you want to add a conversion cylinder. I was never into them either, and really, the one I have is not as interesting to me as my 1858's and my open tops, but I want to hunt with it and I recon I can load some 45 colt for it that's a little hotter than I could my others. Only way I'd have picked up the stainless is if it was a bargain. And $475 would be close to that.
Old December 10, 2016, 09:54 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
A friend far more knowledgeable than I, describes the ROA as the finest percussion revolver ever made.
It may very well be but it never existed in the percussion era so its undesirable to me. I wouldn't give 5 bucks for one if I had to keep it.
Old December 10, 2016, 10:30 PM   #7
roashooter

"It may very well be but it never existed in the percussion era so its undesirable to me. I wouldn't give 5 bucks for one if I had to keep it."

works for the rest of us.....as the "replica" market is filled with imports that a ROA will out last in a lifetime....
Old December 10, 2016, 10:37 PM   #8
rodwhaincamo

Why not use a Dragoon if you want mildly hot .45 Colt loads?

Judging by the few chronographed results I see my ROA with it's more accurate load of 35 grns 3F Olde E/T7 with my 195 WFN boolit is likely close to 500 ft/lbs whereas my Remington with its accurate load of 30 grns is maybe about 400 ft/lbs. Either would be good to hunt with within 25 yds but my Ruger certainly makes bigger critters a possibility, and I had a custom 285 grn WFN made just for that as it can handle MUCH higher pressures than a repro.
Old December 10, 2016, 11:22 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
the "replica" market is filled with imports that a ROA will out last in a lifetime....
Maybe but I've got one I bought new in 69 and it shoots as good now as it did back then.
Old December 10, 2016, 11:25 PM   #10
noelf2

I was going to use a Pietta 1858 target model. The ROA is just a step up in functionality and dependability, so I got it and sold the target model. The target model isn't a replica of anything that ever existed either. a Walker or Dragoon would have the power, but the sights aren't even close to what would be on a good hunting pistol, IMHO.

Last edited by noelf2; December 10, 2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old December 10, 2016, 11:30 PM   #11
noelf2

Quote:
Quote:
the "replica" market is filled with imports that a ROA will out last in a lifetime....
Maybe but I've got one I bought new in 69 and it shoots as good now as it did back then.
I look at the ROA as a conventional gun, and as such is more functional. But like I said, I don't appreciate it as much as I do my real replicas. On the same note, I hunt with an in-line muzzleloader sporting a leupold scope, but when it comes to taking a gun out of my safe to appreciate or to go on a fun shoot, it's always something less practical.
Old December 10, 2016, 11:40 PM   #12
roashooter

"Maybe but I've got one I bought new in 69 and it shoots as good now as it did back then."

"Well I'll be 60 next month"

my math tells me you were 13 in 1969....how did you make that purchase????

...I have only been shooting my ROA since 1974...without a failure of ANY part...and it has seen thousands...of rounds....and replica as old as yours will shoot as good now...as it did then...as long as you do not shoot it as much as mine!!!

Last edited by roashooter; December 11, 2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old December 11, 2016, 12:56 AM   #13
Hawg

I was born Dec 26th so I was 12. I saved my gas cutting money and got my mom to take me to the gun shop. It may not have been fired as much as yours but it has fired thousands of rounds also. I replaced a worn out hand and a broken loading lever about 10 years ago and it's been through more than your Ruger ever will
Old December 11, 2016, 07:07 AM   #14
foolzrushn

December 26

How 'bout that......Hawg was a Christmas present...heh, heh
Hope you still got a cake, and didn't get shorted like some kids.

certified 'soap welder'
Old December 11, 2016, 08:07 AM   #15
noelf2

I believe I was 14 when I started buying muzzleloaders. I'm 54 now. The only thing my dad had to be with me to buy, was the black powder. I imagine that any replica, if taken care of, will shoot thousands of rounds with some occasional and typical parts replacements. Difference between the typical replicas and well made modern guns like the ROA is that you are less likely to have a broken part in the field (trigger/bolt springs, pawl spring, etc...). That's just my humble opinion.

Quote:
It may very well be but it never existed in the percussion era so its undesirable to me. I wouldn't give 5 bucks for one if I had to keep it.
So Hawg you're saying that if I go back to the gun show, and grab up that SS ROA, you won't buy my blued ROA I have right now for $5.00 plus shipping cost of $18, if I have your word you'll keep it? Be honest now!!
Old December 11, 2016, 08:10 AM   #16
45 Dragoon

Noelf2,
It's the cylinder that takes the pressure not the frame. The strongest frame in the world won't make a weak cylinder strong. I wouldn't put any "high pressure" rounds through it. The standard 45 Colt round is plenty for deer at handgun distances.

Just want you (and others ) to be safe.

Hey, I'm 5 months older than the Hawgster!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old December 11, 2016, 08:13 AM   #17
noelf2

Goon I never intended to put high pressure rounds through it. Just up to standard pressure rounds. Pretty sure the Howell cylinder can hack it, although the thin-ness of the chamber walls is a bit of a concern.

Edit: Would be nice if Howell made a 5 round cylinder just to keep the adjacent chambers a bit thicker.
Old December 11, 2016, 09:02 AM   #18
drobs

I just can't get excited about ROA's especially when you can buy a new Ruger Blackhawk for the same $ or used BH for less $.

I like classic BP revolvers.
Old December 11, 2016, 10:22 AM   #19
roashooter

"more than your Ruger ever will"

as I said...mine has not had any failure of any part...and I have no doubt that as a "12"yo your care of the pistol reflects the "chit" it has been through...and it looks like it...as where my 1974 Ruger Old Army ...still looks like a new pistol...
Old December 11, 2016, 11:38 AM   #20
45 Dragoon

You can't put a cap cylinder in a Blk.Hawk though. But those that have a ROA can have the best of both worlds!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Old December 11, 2016, 11:59 AM   #21
noelf2

Quote:
But those that have a ROA can have the best of both worlds!!
Well, they certainly can be in both worlds, but I don't consider having to remove the cartridge cylinder to reload it quite "the best" of that world. Certainly the Cadillac of the BP world though.
Old December 11, 2016, 12:03 PM   #22
45 Dragoon

Ha!! You're exactly right Noelf2!! I should have said "can soon have the best of both worlds"!!

Thanks!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks
Old December 11, 2016, 12:58 PM   #23
reinert

bamaranger, couldn't help but notice your post #4; I believe I met that same guy back in MN in the late 70's. He, out of the blue, offered me to shoot his ROA in a pistol match, and I placed. He even loaded it for me. His Ruger OA was a wonderful thing to shoot, for sure, and I shot that particular match on a spur-of-the-moment whim. He wouldn't sell that pistol to me, either. I'm sure he probably still has it. And, it's the only time since, or after that match, that I've ever shot an ROA. I can only imagine that they're all like that one.
Old December 11, 2016, 03:37 PM   #24
Hellgate

I'm somewhat with Hawg on this one. I am too much of an history buff to go for the modern designed ROA. I've been shooting against ROAs since I started CAS in 1993 and was told by a good friend gunsmith that "If you want to be competitive go get yourself a pair of ROAs and I'll cut the barrels down to 6" for you". I never took him up on it and later Ruger came out with the shortened ROAs. I've won the state (OR & WA) titles in Frontiersman several times but it has more to do with who shows up for the shoot and do they know how to use the gun they use.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old December 11, 2016, 04:07 PM   #25
Hawg

Quote:
So Hawg you're saying that if I go back to the gun show, and grab up that SS ROA, you won't buy my blued ROA I have right now for $5.00 plus shipping cost of $18, if I have your word you'll keep it? Be honest now!!
Honestly, I'd tell you where you could stuff it.

roashooter yeah it looks it, plus a few years ago I defarbed it and aged it even further so it looks more like a barn find original I once had. I have no doubt if your Ruger had gone through what mine did it wouldn't look so pristine either. Now don't get me wrong I had cartridge guns at the same time that I took very good care of and I had access to most of my dads guns but this one just begged to be roughhoused.