The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 27, 2012, 01:57 PM   #1
xcalibor67

Mauser barrel, 1903 action

Hello!..Been asking around hoping to find someone that has tried/did this before...I have a very nice 1903 action i would like to put a 7x57 barrel on.
As we all know aftermarket barrels for the 1903 are scarce, and or limited in cartridge choice..I wanted to know if a mauser large ring could be turned and have enough OD to rethread for the 03 action?...I dont think you can get 100% full thread when rethreading for the 03, but is it enough?..Have also heard tales of people turning down the shank even smaller on a barrel, then maching a threaded sleeve that fits very tightly screwed on the shank, and the its threaded to the 03 action..?? I was told if the new threaded collar/bushing had very good thread contact, it would be as strong, or close to an original untouched shank..any ideas? Thanks.
Old November 27, 2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Rainbow Demon

Quote:
Have also heard tales of people turning down the shank even smaller on a barrel, then maching a threaded sleeve that fits very tightly screwed on the shank, and the its threaded to the 03 action..?? I was told if the new threaded collar/bushing had very good thread contact, it would be as strong, or close to an original untouched shank..any ideas? Thanks.
Some Italian Carcanos were converted to .308 Winchester using this method. The conversions were done by a UK company and the rifles sold as target rifles or for hunting.
A 7X57 conversion of a 1903 should be okay if done properly.

Some WW1 surplus Gew98 rifles with corroded bores were bored out and fitted with a 7X57 liner. Don't know much about those.
Old November 27, 2012, 03:00 PM   #3
xcalibor67

Now, as far as the bore..it will unchanged, as i will using a Adams & Bennet factory chambered 7x57 barrel...The only thing altered would be the threaded shank where it screws in the action. It would be truned down to X diameter then threaded to what ever u deemed useable..then the freshley made collar would then screw onto the barrel shank, and then screwed into the 1903 action. Not sure were speaking of the same thing? Thanks.
Old November 27, 2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Scorch

Just buy an Adams & Bennett 7mm contoured blank and have it threaded and chambered for the Springfield (Springfields have square threads, you will not clean up Mauser threads). You will be better off all around.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...mensionid=1025
Old November 27, 2012, 05:04 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

Call E.R. Shaw they will supply and install the barrel for you. 412-221-3636
Old November 27, 2012, 05:34 PM   #6
xcalibor67

Thanks Scorch, i some how looked over the barrel blanks at Midway... This is about what im looking for...low cost to put the action back in service..
Old November 27, 2012, 05:45 PM   #7
xcalibor67

I still may try to fix the A&B barrel i have now 1st.. One of things you have to try..I have found several links with this type topic..and naturally they all have different opinions. Some say dont weld on a barrel shank, some you can. I feel the best way, would be to cut doen the shank a bit and make a 2 thousands under bushing, heat and do a press fit.then weld the bushing to the barrel right where it touches the barrel shoulder...You would need to chamfer the buching and the barrel shoulder before putting on the bushing of course...welding would be done with a mig, fast and clean...
Talked to another guy who claims that merely a heated undersized bushing pressed on is enough, no welding neccessary..
Old November 27, 2012, 06:41 PM   #8
jackpine

as stated E.R. shaw barrels can be ordered to fit or send them your action and they will fit any of there barrels for you.
Old November 27, 2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Scorch

Quote:
Some say dont weld on a barrel shank, some you can. I feel the best way, would be to cut doen the shank a bit and make a 2 thousands under bushing, heat and do a press fit.then weld the bushing to the barrel right where it touches the barrel shoulder
Well, if you weld on a barrel shank made out of 4140, it will be so hard you may not be able to cut it, even with carbide. And remember, you still have to ream the chamber, so a hard barrel shank is not a good thing.

If you make an undersized bushing and press it on, it will get driven off by the pressure of firing. If you are going to turn the shank down and put a threaded bushing onto it, thread the OD of the barrel shank and the ID of the bushing, then LocTite it in place. I have done this in the past, it works well.

But all this is going to be a lot of work on a pre-fit barrel, and it will be ruined if you goof it up. I would still get the contoured barrel blank and thread it, and sell the barrel you have in hand. But it's your project.
Old November 27, 2012, 07:46 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

The large ring Mauser shank diameter is 1.10", the '03 is 1.04'. That is not enough to cleanup the threads.

Pre-threaded barrels for the M1903 are hard to find, but any competent gunsmith should be able to fit a 7mm barrel on that action with no problems.

I strongly advise against playing around with welding and bushings. The last time I checked Brownells, eyeballs and fingers were backordered and might not be available.

Jim
Old November 27, 2012, 08:02 PM   #11
saands

What James K said!!!

Listen to voice of reason ... even if it isn't what you want to hear. I have ignored a lot of naysayers, but only when they think that something I want to do isn't worth doing ...

When the majority starts cautioning you about the safety of an idea or a project, it pays to listen. In this case, a safe and effective solution is readily available. Messing with the heat treat of a barrel is a bad idea and even the best welders still heat things up ...

Saands
Old November 27, 2012, 09:10 PM   #12
Rainbow Demon

None of the conversions I've seen have had any form of welding done, they are precisely threaded and locked with pins.
The original equipment barrel shank is used as a bushing, not a bushing made for the purpose. The shanks are cut from condemned shot out barrels.

The only reason these methods were used was because it was easier than setting up to thread an uncommon thread form or size, many European and Asian rifles use the Whitworth thread form. Most U S rifles use either a standard V thread or the square threads of the Springfield and Krag.

I'd sell that Mauser barrel and order a barrel threaded for the 1903.

I had thought you meant you wanted to use a cheap surplus milspec Mauser barrel. Small ring 7mm barrels sometimes show up at very low prices.
Old November 27, 2012, 11:38 PM   #13
xcalibor67

I think you guys have turned my thoughts about the bushing...and the welding. Even though i have read several posts about both, i do still feel a lil uneasy about either methods...Like you, ill not say it cant be done, but the question is...Is my face/fingers worth it...I knew you guys could talk me out of it! Damn fine job..lol.. On another forum a fguy posted a pic of a 6.5x55 chambered barrel threaded to fit the 03...from his pic, it looks as if they merely cut off the existing shank and rethreaded and rechambered...I was concerned about the amount of metal around the case on my F34 contour..This thing has a pencil lightweight barrel... ill deff. not be welding or using a bushing. I will not be using the cone feed on my barrel replacement. It will be a flat faced mauser style setup...Now deleting the cone will not make me hesitant at all,,As an article i found stated, it was merely to help aid in single shots, and to possibly get away from mauser patents...Unless proven otherwise i see absolutely no reason it wouldnt be safe without it.
Old November 28, 2012, 12:37 AM   #14
wyop

I've seen welds done with MIG on guns. They all uniformly look like crap. If you want to weld on a gun, use TIG.

The comments about hardening the 4140 are spot-on. The only way to get the steel to not be hard is to post-heat it to let it cool slowly. Even then, you're going to get the hardness wrong - it will likely be too soft then.

Then there's the issue of the extractor cut. You need to remember that the 1903 has that Mauser-style claw extractor. Well, that requires a cut into the barrel to allow for that - except in your case, you'd be cutting into your bushing and the barrel.
Old November 28, 2012, 04:55 AM   #15
HiBC

I'll throw a whole new suggestion at you.

Go to SARCO and look up 1903 Springfield parts kits.Then look up Criterion 1903 replacement barrels.

You see,there are not many Springfields available out there and you can make yourself a fine specimen of a 1903 Springfield.This rifle is a ticket to shoot in CMP vintage rifle matches.Ypur 1903 has far more value as restored to milspec than it does as a make-do 7x57.

Now,I understand you want a 7x57,cool! Great cartridge!I think if you look around SARCO,J+G,Springfield Sports,etc you can find any number of 98 Mausers actions for a reasonable price.Then you may easily screw your Mauser 7x57 barrel into a 98 Mauser Action.There are more stocks and parts available for Mausers and you will end up with a very nice rifle.

If you have no interest in restoring the 1903,I suspect several folks here may make you some inquiries,and if you make a post in curios and relics,I'm sure you will get support for the idea of restoring the 1903 action.

As far as your ideas on thread conversions,IMO,for safety sake,this is one place you just do not improvise.If you are going to build a rifle,barrel threading,chambering,and headspacing need to be right,period.

Have fun,keep us posted.
Old November 28, 2012, 10:38 AM   #16
xcalibor67

I have in my possession several of the original 03 30/06 barrels.. This is part of my whole issue...I dont shoot nor want a 30/06.. I currently have a 280 remmy strapped to a mauser 98..Shilen 26 tube W/Timney trigger..very fine shooter..Really dont want anything bigger than the 280, no need for it since it will kill anything that walks crawls or fly's. Putting a 7x57 or any other barrel to the 03 action wouldnt have any adverse affects on the action its self( could be merely changed over to the /06 at any time if needed). Most of my builds will actually be used to hunt with, not hide in a closet to impress my buds..Not sure why, but for some odd reason i have allways favored those
lovely 6.5 and 7mm bullets..I suppose its more of a challenge than a need on this project, as most builds are...I am deffinately over the "welding" of the shank..im like you guys, it just has to many what-ifs that come with it.
Old November 28, 2012, 12:40 PM   #17
Jim Watson

Nothing wrong with a 7mm on a Springfield action, but I don't think trying to scab on a Mauser barrel is the way to go. Start over with the right shank.

If I had a fondness for 6.5 and 7mm and the '03, I would be thinking hard about a .256 Newton or a .285 OKH. No real difference in ballistics from a 6.5x55 or 6.5-06 and a .280 Rem, but just going for the nostalgia.
Old November 28, 2012, 12:53 PM   #18
xcalibor67

Read my mind Jim..lol..have ordered both 7mm and 6.5 barrel blanks...And the 6.5/06 is still rambling around in my mind...Very good chance one will be built, whether it be on a 03 or a mauser action...Might do a 6.5/06 on a mauser action, because it would be more tempting to push the loads a bit harder...Not overloads, but using its full potential.lol..its like having a beefy bike, domething just makes you wanna pull that throttle just a hair more...Figured the 7x57 would be just a good solid hunting round W/ moderate loads. After looking through my peices, found i still have about 9 good mauser 98 actions..Maybe santa will bring me lots of barrels..haha.