The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 16, 2011, 05:31 PM   #1
redneck

Would a coyote still have pups with her this time of year?

How likely would it be to find a coyote with 3 small pups this time of year? From what little I know the pups should be breaking off on their own by now.

The reason I ask is that there is a drainage ditch across the road from the end of my driveway that borders about 80 acres of farm gound and I found 4 carcasses dumped in it today(pretty much right at the end of my driveway). They are all skinned. I'm hoping that it is a coyote and pups, but that seems unlikely to me. There is a good bit of fat on the pups and the full sized one is fairly well filled out. I didn't go wading in to investigate too closely, but I'd hate to think its somebodys dogs. If it was somebody hunting coyote, they need to find a better spot to dump carcasses
Old November 16, 2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Pahoo

Oh yes !!

All depends on what you see as pups. I say yes and last year I saw a set of twins tagging along behind their momma. They were fairly small and pretty dumb and confused when momma ran off. I'd guess they weighed no more than 10 pounds and looked identicle so I know they had to be from the same litter. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old November 16, 2011, 06:22 PM   #3
shortwave

Quote:
All depends on what you see as pups
Howdy Pahoo and good point.

How big are the dogs you're calling pups redneck?

Usually, far as I know, in the months of August and September, momma yote will take her pups out and loose them. The pups should be between a half and two thirds grown by then.

I know every Aug and Sept., we are literally kept up at night as seems every year a momma yote picks the ravine right below our bedroom window to loose her pups at. When they realize they are alone, they start carrying on for her and will hang around the house for a couple days waiting on her, howling all night long. A shotgun blast or three(depends on how PO'd I am) usually shuts them up for awhile.

Is it possible that someone dumped a yote and a couple fox carcasses on ya?
Old November 16, 2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Shotgun693

They can breed every 6 months. It's possible to see pups any time of year. Winter or Late Fall pups have a much lower chance of growing up.
Old November 16, 2011, 06:29 PM   #5
redneck

These are maybe 15 pounds, 20 at the most. They're a quarter the size of the adult or smaller. Don't look anything like a fox to me, and all 3 are very close in size.
Old November 16, 2011, 06:34 PM   #6
shootniron

In my area, you are subject to see pups with females anytime of year.
Old November 16, 2011, 08:19 PM   #7
603Country

Hmmm, I haven't seen a pup in months, I think. I've shot maybe 10 or so coyotes in the last 2 weeks, but they appeared full grown or nearly so. I've been seeing them in pairs, and I was assuming that they were Male/Female breeding pairs, but I haven't done a genital check on any of them. Could be that the ones I thought were female were actually pups. And just for info, I haven't weighed any coyotes that I've shot, but there were a couple of big ones (big for this area perhaps). I picked up one or two to judge weight and I'll guess at 25 pounds or a bit more.