The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 9, 2017, 08:35 AM   #1626
Joshua 2415

Why Only 6 Rounds?

With the slim profile of the 327 Magnum, I can't figure out why either Ruger and S&W doesn't make a revolver with at least 7 or preferably 8 rounds in the cylinder. IMO, the main disadvantage of revolvers is their limited capacity. The 327 Mag is a good answer to that.

S&W already has the Model 627 with 8 rounds of 357 Magnum, why not give us one with 327 Magnum? That model could probably hold 9 or 10 rounds.

"Limited market" is not a good excuse. If they build it, we will come.

Old July 9, 2017, 10:45 AM   #1627
Glenn E. Meyer

There is the Ruger Single Seven - but a SA is not modern for carry or SD. As far as if you build it - they will come - there is a GAP in your logic - as in 45 GAP.

Haha!
Old July 9, 2017, 04:03 PM   #1628
Joshua 2415

It does depend on what you build

Well, granted, you can't just build ANYTHING and expect them to come!

I'm not knowledgeable enough to participate in the 45 GAP discussion.

But, I'd sell half my modest gun collection to get an 8 round, 3" 327 magnum revolver built by S&W or Ruger. Hope they're listening.

Let's just say, if they build it, I will come, and I'll bet lots of others will, too!

Last edited by Joshua 2415; July 10, 2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old July 10, 2017, 01:17 AM   #1629
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
With the slim profile of the 327 Magnum, I can't figure out why either Ruger and S&W doesn't make a revolver with at least 7 or preferably 8 rounds in the cylinder. IMO, the main disadvantage of revolvers is their limited capacity. The 327 Mag is a good answer to that.

S&W already has the Model 627 with 8 rounds of 357 Magnum, why not give us one with 327 Magnum? That model could probably hold 9 or 10 rounds.

"Limited market" is not a good excuse. If they build it, we will come.
I think the .327 has been a "plus one" in each of its offerings so far. Ruger did release a 7-shot GP100. I don't know how well it sold but there are a bunch of us who missed the boat when it did. If Ruger brings it back, I'll bite. I'd love a fancy distributor's exclusive with a 5" barrel but I suppose I shouldn't be so greedy with my dreams.

For a while now, .327 has felt like it was Ruger's baby. The Henry may change that but I don't know by how much. I'm just not holding out for another toe into the pond from Smith and Wesson. Until then, maybe a high-capacity Redhawk? There I go getting greedy again...
Old July 10, 2017, 11:34 AM   #1630
A pause for the COZ

Woot!!!
I saw that the Henry was starting to ship.
My FFL has two on order so maybe.....I dont know were he lays on the food chain.
But he quoted me a price of $650 ( or there about) for a carbine.
So patients may be a virtue for me.

The long wait for a partner for my Single 7 may soon be over.
Old July 10, 2017, 12:51 PM   #1631
FrankenMauser

Good to hear.
I'll have to check with my preferred purveyor of expensive toys.
He won't be ordering one unless he knows he has a buyer. And, as of yet, my Henry fund has not been replenished.

Quote:
I think the .327 has been a "plus one" in each of its offerings so far. Ruger did release a 7-shot GP100. I don't know how well it sold but there are a bunch of us who missed the boat when it did. If Ruger brings it back, I'll bite. I'd love a fancy distributor's exclusive with a 5" barrel but I suppose I shouldn't be so greedy with my dreams.
I think nearly everyone that has used multiple .327 Federal revolvers, with experience on the GP100, find the GP to be the best all-around revolver for the cartridge.
I sure did enjoy mine, and find it more enjoyable than the short SP101, the Blackhawk, and the LCR.
...Until I got my hands on the 4.2" SP101.
I like them all, but the 4.2" SP101 is my favorite.
Old July 10, 2017, 08:51 PM   #1632
PoiDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post

For a while now, .327 has felt like it was Ruger's baby. The Henry may change that but I don't know by how much. I'm just not holding out for another toe into the pond from Smith and Wesson. Until then, maybe a high-capacity Redhawk? There I go getting greedy again...
I snapped one up when it was available in 2011. Love at first sight I guess. It has a 4" barrel and 7 round cylinder.
Old July 10, 2017, 11:22 PM   #1633
TruthTellers

The .327 in a GP100... I can see that being a good fit for the 3 inch GP only. Once you get into 4 inch and longer barrels, I just think the larger size and weight of the GP is a better fit for the .357.

I have similar thoughts about the new Ruger Redhawk in .357. Given how short the barrel is, I don't see any reason to bother with .357 in it and even with the barrel that short, I'm still not carrying around a brick.

Were it a 4 inch or longer barrel, I'd definitely get a .357 Redhawk in a 5.5 or 7.5 inch barrel. That would make for an amazing plinker loaded with .38, and a nice trail walking gun loaded with the .357.

Back to .327, 3 inch GP is quite small and light given it's size would make for an excellent choice for .327 Mag.

Ruger's shown the past year or two that they're willing to put something other than .357 in the GP100, but I think the overwhelming desire for .327 is in small to medium frame conceal carry guns, not large revolvers that weigh a lot.
Old July 10, 2017, 11:48 PM   #1634
TruthTellers

And while I'm at it, I had a thought about what my ideal .327 Magnum rifle would be. Some have speculated that maybe Ruger might put the .327 in the M77 now that Henry's .327 may be hitting shelves soon. While a bolt gun would probably be more accurate, I would really like to see a .327 Magnum in a Ruger Model 44 type carbine.

I'd want a couple design changes on the original Model 44 though, some updates if you will. One is I'd still want a tubular magazine, but I want it to be a full length and hold at least 9 rounds. The other change is I'd want a way to cut off the gas ports and turn it into a manual ejector. I'd want this just to make it so that if there was any feeding or ejection issues when shooting .32 H&R or .32 Long that I could operate the action myself. Then, if I suppressed it, I'd want to keep the breech closed to prevent any blowback from the gasses.

Oh, also, I want a threaded barrel.
Old July 12, 2017, 04:57 PM   #1635
PoiDog

I checked Gunbroker and both of those listed have sold. One of them sold for under the MSRP shown on Henry's web site. The other was closer to the price.

I called Henry today just for kicks, and was given the end of summer date for the rifles.
Old July 21, 2017, 06:50 PM   #1636
PoiDog

I see there are 2 more rifles on Gunbroker. Neither had a bid the last time I looked. I'm curious how just 4 rifles made it out to the wild.
Old July 21, 2017, 07:25 PM   #1637
saleen322

Quote:
I see there are 2 more rifles on Gunbroker. Neither had a bid the last time I looked. I'm curious how just 4 rifles made it out to the wild.
The steel framed rifles are shipping now. The brass Big Boys are slated for later.
Old July 21, 2017, 08:57 PM   #1638
FrankenMauser

I still haven't found a single distributor that has seen one or has any en route.

Anybody know where this first trickle is leaking from?
Old July 22, 2017, 09:55 AM   #1639
PoiDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
The steel framed rifles are shipping now. The brass Big Boys are slated for later.
Yes, the Henry web site shows the steel rifles and carbines shipping now. My LGS opens if 5 minutes.

I'll see if any of his distributors has them yet.
Old July 22, 2017, 03:08 PM   #1640
TruthTellers

I may have asked this question before, but how well do you guys think these Henry's will feed .32 H&R Magnum? All I've read from others is that lever guns chambered for Magnum cartridges tend to have... issues with the shorter Specials.
Old July 22, 2017, 06:16 PM   #1641
FrankenMauser

Henry claims they're good for .32 H&R, and the nominal difference in length between them is only 0.100" if I remember correctly.
Should do fine.

Certain styles of bullet may be more prone to having issues than others, though. (And I can't offer predictions right now, having not seen the geometry of the action, or fired one at all.)

Last edited by FrankenMauser; July 22, 2017 at 09:12 PM. Reason: I was dumb with words. But then I smarted.
Old July 22, 2017, 09:08 PM   #1642
PoiDog

It's more like .125, at least for the max COL for both. You're right though, Henry does claim the guns will work with both rounds.

I'd imagine they might not function with the .32 Short or Long.
Old July 22, 2017, 09:25 PM   #1643
smee78

So is the 327 taking off again? I just saw Rugers listing for the Single 7 in 327 and with Henrys addition I hope the ball is rolling again. I'm keeping my eyes open for them.
Old July 23, 2017, 02:44 PM   #1644
FrankenMauser

Davidson's has had between four and several dozen, each, of the SP101 4.2" and the LCR for the last month, or so.
The numbers jump and then trickle down, so it seems that they're still shipping some out and receiving small lots to replace them.
Old July 27, 2017, 10:11 AM   #1645
Sudo

Lipseys has a listing for a 632 3" revolver.

No stock yet.

Perhaps S&W is getting back into the 327 Federal business.

There was a ported 632 a few years ago. I'm wondering if this is a left over listing, or a new gun.

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=SM178045
Old July 31, 2017, 03:30 PM   #1646
jason hammac

I believe it is new production. I had a 632-1 in my hand and put it down because I did not like the power port. This time I will actually buy it and have my gunsmith cut the barrel down to remove it. Or, could he move the front sight forward to cover it and have the gases come out on the left and right of the sight??
Old July 31, 2017, 05:33 PM   #1647
Glenn E. Meyer

Not on the SW web site. Interesting to see if this is new.
Old August 1, 2017, 01:02 PM   #1648
Cosmodragoon

The lock hole is always a mark against modern S&W in my decision tree, but it was the port hole that sealed the deal for me as well. If this is a new product and it isn't ported, I'd certainly take a look.

That said, anyone consider contacting Lipseye's and asking?
Old August 1, 2017, 01:20 PM   #1649
Low Friction

The ported bbl on the s&w 632 is a non starter for me also. ~45k psi for the hottest ammo puts a pretty sharp/bright blast in your face. Not good if your eyes are fully adapted to the dark. They did target this weapon to be for self defense.
Old August 1, 2017, 04:59 PM   #1650
Cosmodragoon

^ Indeed. This round is already bright and loud without putting a plume directly into your line of sight. AFAIK, porting is done to reduce felt recoil and allow for faster target reacquisition. The latter is at obvious odds here. The former... is it necessary or even helpful? One of the inherent advantages of .327 is a relatively good ratio of downrange power to felt recoil. So it's already good at that! For instance, consider the non-ported LCR 327. The lighter Hydra-Shoks have felt recoil on par with .38 +p while the heavier loads still come in with less hand-shock than standard defensive loads in .357 magnum. Why S&W ported their only model chambered in .327 Federal remains a mystery. All I know for sure is that it kept me from buying one.