The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 28, 2015, 06:27 PM   #1
BlackPowderBen

Bullet Mold First Time Use Procedures

What are the proper procedures for preparing a new bullet mold? I have another mold that I have been using and it works great but this new mold will not cast a ball, I pour in the lead and only a small amount goes in. What's the problem? (The mold is hot, I wasn't using it straight from the box, and I blackened all the insides up)
Old December 28, 2015, 08:28 PM   #2
Hawg

Sometimes you have to make the hole in the sprue cutter a tad bigger to get good flow. Are you sure the lead is hot enough? All I do with most of mine is clean the packing grease out then put it to work. It's usually the big bullets and minies I have to open the hole up on.
Old December 28, 2015, 08:30 PM   #3
swathdiver

Sounds like you're temp just isn't high enough.

I'm only familiar with Lee molds so my advice pertains to them.

Blackening the mold is seldom enough. I first take the molds apart and wash the blocks with soap and water, use acetone or mineral spirits if I think there is any oil left and then let them dry before continuing the prep process.

The round openings at the top of the blocks should be checked for burrs or out of round, a drill bit twirled in your fingers will square such a situation away easily, just use one barely big enough to do the job.

The sprue cutter should be removed and stoned flat, along with the top of the mold blocks that contact the sprue cutter. It is good to coat them both with graphite (pencil lead) and use a dab of beeswax or automotive anti-seize compound on the screw threads.

Then smoke the molds well, those 7" coffee sticks are great, they last just long enough to do one whole mold. Get the mold up to temp by letting it sit on top of your pot or furnace for a time and start casting. Don't expect the first dozen or so to come out perfect but after it gets to temp and gets "broke in", it will usually cast fine from then on from the start.
Old December 28, 2015, 08:39 PM   #4
Hawg

Most of my molds are Lee and I've never done any of that.
Old December 29, 2015, 12:25 PM   #5
swathdiver

Well Hawg, many of those steps are outlined in the papers that come with the mold. I'll admit, some of mine ran fine out of the box too.

However, after casting thousands of round ball for the sixguns, those molds were badly galled and stoning both the top of the blocks and the underside of the sprue plate eliminated that malady and made it easier to operate the cutter.

I have a couple newer molds with left hand screws, they seem to come loose more often than the older style!
Old December 29, 2015, 12:40 PM   #6
Hawg

I've got one newer one with the cones for alignment pins. I haven't even used it yet. I took it out of the box but that's it. Still trying to get one of my melting pots working.
Old December 31, 2015, 10:01 PM   #7
North East Redneck

I use Lee molds, soak them in white gas or lacquer thinner when they are new. Let them soak for a few hours. Preheat them on the lead pot and start casting. Tighten screws as needed. Have never needed to do more.
Only been casting for a couple years, so I do not know all the tricks, but I've had no issues. I cast conicals and RB.
My cast stuff is for plinking and practice, not serious target work.
Old December 31, 2015, 10:40 PM   #8
Hawg

I started casting on moms stove with a bean can when I was 12.
Old January 1, 2016, 01:10 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

BlackPowderBen -

You are probably going to get a variety of answers based on the experiences some have had. Some really "get in to it" when casting and are quite "high tech" . . others? . . not so much. I'm a "low tech caster" and have been for 50+ years.

If you or anybody else wants more information on casting, etc. . . .I recommend you go over to the castboolit site. Doesn't cost anything to join and there are not only "sticks" on what you are looking for but lot's of good reading and information the the various threads there.

In a nutshell . . thee are a variety of ways to prepare a mold depending on who you talk to . . . plus a few more things in terms of the actually "casting". Alloy you use (for BP you are using pure lead), getting you mold up to temperature, the cadence of your casting, etc. It's not "rocket science" though and anybody can learn to cast good balls/bullets.

You obviously have been casting so you know what's involved. As far as not filling out . . . if you mold is up to temperature, how about the heat of the lead you are pouring? Also, are you using a ladle or a bottom pour? I probably have about 75 or so molds in my collection that I use for not only RB but conical for reloading cartridges, etc. A wide variety of brands and materials - iron/steel, aluminum, brass. I have never had an issue with the size of any sprue hole as far as cavity fill out . . . but that is with my molds and there are those that i know that have had to alter the sprue plate. I can tell you though that each mold is a creature unto itself. I have some that drop like butter . . and a few that don't!

You don[t mention the size of your cavity you are pouring or if you are using a ladle or a bottom pour pot. I only use a bottom pour Lyman ladle - same one I started out with fifty some years ago. I pour over my main pot (on a gas hotplate) and always fill my ladle full - any "over run" runs off back into the pot - but that puts some pressure on the cavity fill. The largest I pour is a 500 + grain minie ball and I find the above to be the best to pour it and insure good even "fill". Smaller cavities such as a 90 grain or a 158 grain are a cinch - but I'm only using 2 cavity molds. I don't have any 6 cavity molds as I know that keeping the blocks evenly heated and a continuous pour of all six cavities is probably going to be a problem unless I had a bottom pour pot.

Not much help I know, but at least go check out the castboolit site as I think you'll find it an interesting site to look at. Good luck!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 1, 2016, 01:32 PM   #10
BlackPowderBen

Thank you for your help bbb, I'm dont have a botton pour furnace, just a $45 lee 5lb capacity furnace. I'm using a lee .457 2 capacity mold also, as i failed to mention earlier.

I'll go over to the castboolit site and do some reading
Thanks!
Old January 1, 2016, 04:30 PM   #11
swathdiver

I almost bought one of those 5lb pots but paid another $20 for the 20lb bottom pour pot. Reason being, it's much easier to maintain temperature when casting a couple hundred rounds with a larger capacity of lead. Maintaining the temperature is what gets you consistent results, whether good or bad!

I use a six inch plumber's pot for smelting scrap lead into bars and use the furnace only for clean lead. I think it help keeps the bottom pour from leaking due to being fouled with dross.
Old February 7, 2016, 02:48 PM   #12
BlackPowderBen

Just want to let all of you know that I got the mold working right now, thanks for your help
Old February 7, 2016, 03:19 PM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
Just want to let all of you know that I got the mold working right now, thanks for your help
What did you do?
Old February 7, 2016, 09:18 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

What Hawg asked. Waddaya do?
Old February 7, 2016, 11:20 PM   #15
BlackPowderBen

Cleaned out the blackening, held a match under it and blackened it up some. The main thing was i didn't have my mold really hot enough and it had to break in. My .451 mold worked better when i first used it. Got the mold to the point that when i dipped the sprue cutter in the molten lead for 30 seconds it would come off when i took it out. SO after all that i got to make some balls for my walker
Attached Images
File Type: png colt wlaker.png (187.8 KB, 26 views)
Old February 8, 2016, 04:54 PM   #16
salvadore

Crap, so I didn't need to invest in the bean can?
Old February 8, 2016, 05:50 PM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
Crap, so I didn't need to invest in the bean can?
Hey, it works in a pinch.
Old February 9, 2016, 12:12 AM   #18
45 Dragoon

Yap, a "pinch" !!! Bet that's what yer mom did!!! (I know moms!!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old February 9, 2016, 12:48 AM   #19
Hawg

Nah, she didn't care.
Old February 10, 2016, 07:14 PM   #20
johnwilliamson062

I highly recommend you do not go to cast boolits. There is an overwhelming wealth of highly detailed, well written, and time proven knowledge about casting on that site.
Every time I go I just feel smaller.