The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 19, 2007, 08:05 PM   #26
UniversalFrost

RCBS makes a nice powered case prep center (for $98) that is really slick. I don't have one (yet) but have used other folks ones.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old July 20, 2007, 05:15 PM   #27
kirbymagnum

I loaded some bullets and now I just have to wait till I have time to try them out at the range. After I weigh two charges in my RCBS scale I have to zero it, is this normal? Maybe I bump it and it throws it off?
Old August 1, 2011, 12:02 AM   #28
Herand

I am looking for load data for wenchester 80g PSP and Hordny 95g SST for my 243. Thanks
Old August 1, 2011, 04:16 AM   #29
Shoney

Herand

WELCOME TO TFL!

You have opened a thread that is 4 years old. That could get some nasty responses from some members, however, don't let that discourage you. If you want to get feedback on your request for information, you should start a new thread.

Quote:
wenchester
Isn't that an old hag named Ester????

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 1, 2011, 09:26 AM   #30
JerryM

Having killed a few mule deer, and several antelope with a .243 my opinion is that it is an excellent cartridge. I did not prefer Nosler bullets as deer and antelope are not difficult to penetrate to the vitals. I used 100 gr Sierra or Hornady bullets. My favorite load was 45 gr 4350. That is above what current handbooks recommend so I would start at 42 gr.

Chronographed velocity was 3150 fps from a 22 inch M70 pre 64 FWT.

For the 95 gr Nosler I suspect I could go to 45 gr 4350, but work up slowly as the books say. I would start much lower.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old August 1, 2011, 09:48 AM   #31
Shoney

JerryM

Here is the data from Hodgdon for 243.
100 gr SPR BTSP*__IMR 4350 __ Start 38.5gr____ Max 42.0gr __Vel 2958 fps*

I find it interesting that your barrel
Quote:
Chronographed velocity was 3150 fps from a 22 inch M70 pre 64 FWT.
while the Hodgdon 24" barrel got substantially less velocity using the same load.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 1, 2011, 01:38 PM   #32
Doodlebugger45

Jerry mentions that he was using 45 gr, beyond the max published of 42 gr. Maybe that's why he got higher velocities.

I also have had very good results with 100 gr Hornady BTSP bullets as well as the 95 gr SSTs. The most accurate load in my rifle used Hunter powder, although a few other powders like W-780 and RL-22 worked fairly well also. I don't have my load log with me right now, but it was a bit below Ramshot's max load.