The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 13, 2018, 01:51 PM   #1
bulls n bucks

Winchester model 70 super grade scope mount

So I got a new Winchester model 70 super grade in 30-06 and I got a Leupold vx2 3-9:40 now I'm looking for recommendations on the best scope mount for it. I am leaning towards the Leupold mounts. And some options on alignment and lapping rings.
Old February 13, 2018, 02:16 PM   #2
GeauxTide

I changed to Talley Combination Base/Rings for my 8 rifles. Superb.
Old February 13, 2018, 08:24 PM   #3
fourbore

I used the Leupold one piece. That was what I had taken off another Model 70. I had rings too. I am happy with the setup. I mounted a VX-II 4-12x40. I think I have the same gun, a 30-06 and marked "super" on the floor plate. I got my pre owned.

That M70 is a pretty classy gun and nice candidate for a little better grade of mount. Tally sounds good too. The Leupold has a classic look on a classic rifle.
Old February 14, 2018, 01:23 PM   #4
amflyer

I have four M70's in long action, including one rechambered to the Lott cartridge.

For the first, I bought the Leopold mounts. They fit a bit less that optimum for a Vx-II 2.5-8. About one mm of space available to fit fore and aft. Luckily, it was just right for my view, etc. The front base hangs over the action cutout by a bit. No function problems though.

For the others, I bought Talley. Two detachable and one fixed, but not the one-piece I saw referenced here. They are probably the best, but not all scopes will fit due to the spacing. I can vouch that the Conquest 3-9x40's do, with room to spare, as well as the VX-III 3.5-10's. Your Vx-II probably has available mounting room similar to the latter, but might want to double check.

Tried to do photos with photobucket, no 3rd party hosting.

Last edited by amflyer; February 14, 2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old February 14, 2018, 02:52 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Same rings and bases as any other M70. There is no 'best' anything.
Old February 14, 2018, 05:12 PM   #6
jmr40

I don't like anything that uses dovetails. Especially those with windage adjustments. Those were designed years ago to get the scope aligned with the barrel if the mounting holes were drilled improperly. That hasn't been a problem in over 50 years. If your rifle needs them use them. But a modern rifle having the mounting holes drilled improperly would be sent back to the factory. If you don't need them there are much better options.

From a practical standpoint Talley Lightweights are about as good as it gets. But if you want something nicer looking Burris Zee rings would be my choice.

Winston Churchill
Old February 15, 2018, 10:39 AM   #7
Stubert

If you stick with Leupold for bases and rings, and you have any issues or questions, you only have one company to deal with. There will be no passing the buck. On a side note, I recently purchased a Win. 70 Alaskan in .375 H&H and went with Leupold QR rings on Leupold mounts, with a 2.5-8x36 vx3. I did need an offset ring for the front. I have no complaints, fit was perfect, they return to zero and are holding up to the recoil. I went with the QR because the Alaskan comes with irons.
Old February 15, 2018, 05:37 PM   #8
old roper

I used Leupold 2 piece standard base and rings on model 70 30-06 with 3x9 Leupold scope. I did lap the rings with this.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...nt=749-013-924
NRA Life Member
Old February 15, 2018, 06:34 PM   #9
Lucas McCain

The only scope mounts I use any more are Leupold bases and Burris signature Rings. That is the one that utilizes the plastic ring inserts. Alignment is not a problem, no lapping required, they have rings to handle offset problems. The use of these rings has helped me keep my reticule pretty much centered regarding windage and elevation adjustments. That cuts down parallax. You also won’t see any ring marks if you should remove the scope.
I have a 375 H&H and a 300 ultra mag and have had no problem from the recoil causeing the scope to move.
Old February 15, 2018, 08:24 PM   #10
disseminator

I just bought these with matching bases for my 7mmRM Model 70 and they are the best rings I have ever used and are super strong and look great too.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/P...ing-Matte.aspx

These can be converted to removable with the addition of the wing nut later if you desire. ( I don't on this rifle ) Get the Low model for a 40mm objective scope.
Old February 15, 2018, 09:56 PM   #11
std7mag

One forum i'm on is based in Australia/ New Zealand. They have been saying about issues with the Talley's.
Not sure exactly what the issues are.

Will try to do some digging there.

Myself i use EGW bases and either Vortex Viper or Warne rings.
Old February 16, 2018, 05:24 PM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
I changed to Talley Combination Base/Rings for my 8 rifles. Superb.
Agreed. They are about all I use for new mounts. I have changed three old mounts over to them. They are definitely my Go to mount for hunting rifles.
Old February 16, 2018, 06:52 PM   #13
burrhead

If I were to spring for a Super Grade I'd use Conetrol rings for the bragging rights if for no other reason. Besides, they'd look good with the Kahles or Schmidt Bender. Go big or go home.

http://www.conetrol.com/

As it is I use Talleys.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.