The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 11, 2004, 02:32 PM   #1
USNavy_233

What are most people shooting at IDPA?

I'm looking at starting some IDPA shooting at the beggining of the year. I've pretty much already decided what gun I'll be using but I'm just wondering what the vast majority of competitors are taking the matches. I figured Glock was high on the list, any other that stand out as making a big appearance? Thanks.
Walt
Old November 11, 2004, 03:27 PM   #2
John Forsyth

The most I see are Glocks and 1911's, mostly Kimber or Springfield.
Old November 11, 2004, 04:44 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Agreed, if you are not shooting a Glock or 1911 variant, you are swimming upstream. You can be competitive with a Beretta, Sig-Sauer, or CZ75; they are a small minority but are shooting some good scores. Not many H&K, Walther, or S&W guns around, but not zero.

S&W revolvers dominate, and I say that as a long-time Python shooter.
Old November 11, 2004, 04:51 PM   #4
RickB

SSR = Smith 625. SSP = Glock, and a smattering of everything else. ESP = 1911s in 9mm and .38 Super, Hi-Power, USPSA-style widebodies in .40, and occasionally, more Glocks. CDP is almost exclusively 1911s.
We have two guys shooting HK squeeze-cockers, but other than that, not many boat-rockers.
Old November 12, 2004, 05:32 AM   #5
faustulus

guns
But seriously, Glocks, 1911s, are pretty much the ones most people gravitate to. (of course this is probably because these people gravitate to them for self-defense as well)
That being said. Almost any gun can be competative. I shoot a CZ 75 and have never lost a match because of the gun.

ultima ratio regum
quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet
Old November 12, 2004, 06:44 PM   #6
LdyAtavist

You see a little bit of everything at our club. Lots of Glocks and 1911's of course, but lots of other models too. Just about anything in the appropriate range of calibers will do for starters. I'm shooting a Para Ordnance single stack single action for CDP, and a 686 for SSR. For SSP and ESP I chose the Walther P99 over the Glock 34 because I pick up my sight picture with this a lot quicker than I do with the Glock because the grip is more natural for me and I come up on target quicker - shooting the same COF the Walther does better for me than the Glock, but that all comes down to personal preference and what you like to shoot. Shoot whatever gun you enjoy shooting most for starters and then decide on what you might want to move into later.
Old November 13, 2004, 12:15 AM   #7
vetts1911

Glocks

I have seen the Glock 17 and 34 mostly in the matches.