The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2010, 01:45 PM   #1
TXAZ

Lee Turret Press

What else do I need to order to reload my first rounds? I've never reloaded before, and have watched the reload threads here and elsewhere. I like and have settled on the Lee Turret Press, to reload:

.380 - For certain
9mm - For certain
7.62 x 39 - possibly

I have access to Bass Pro, Sportsman Warehouse, Cabelas, WalMart, and a fair number of other gun sellers, but I'd prefer some input from you guys that actually use these.

Which dies and types? Carbide, Titanium, ??? and from which manufacturers?

Is it worth getting an extra turret for each type of round?

Scale: I understand the Lee Safety scale stinks. Several have recommended Ohaus. Which model? (I'd prefer to not pay $300 for a scale)

Which primers and powder?

What other tools are actually needed

Are the reloading manuals available on-line good or should I look elsewhere?

What am I missing / else do I need that is not listed above to produce the first rounds?

Thanks in advance.

Please have a joyful, safe, happy and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 23, 2010, 02:28 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

Here's a bit of reading to help you out:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

and

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428050

I couldn't be happier with my Lee Classic Turret press!! Get the classic turret, not the regular one. I got mine for $89 at cabelas.

Here's two video reviews on the Lee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM54KBOf4IY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRn_twi9B0g

Enjoy

Last edited by mikejonestkd; December 23, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old December 23, 2010, 02:42 PM   #3
bozhoz

I haven't actually used the Lee Turret yet, but I did just order the kit from Cabelas yesterday. I was doing research for a friend interested in getting into reloading, and upon reading various posts/options available, I decided to upgrade from a Hornady LNL single stage to the Lee turret. So, my answer may be a little pre-mature for the Lee Turret, but in general they should work:

First of all, if purchasing, check out Cabelas, they have the Lee Classic Turret kit (with powder thrower, various other components, scale, etc) on sale for $189.

As far as dies go, I have hornady dimension dies, but am purchasing the Lee 4-die pistol set for two reasons... 1) Powder through expander die, which basically allows the auto powder dispenser to drop powder into the empty case at the same time that you are belling the case. The hornady die does not do this. 2) The lee set comes with a factory crimp die, which I have been seeing that many people like to seat the bullet and crimp in separate steps. As for material, I have used carbide always, as you do not need any lube with it.

I plan on buying a turret for each round, only so I can set my dies up in one, and never have to touch them again. It's not necessary, but I think they only cost something like $8 at midwayusa, so it's a convenience I am willing to pay for.

Ok, other equipment- You need calipers to measure the final length of the round. I think I got a nice digital one on amazon or something for like $25 and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I also bought a jennings digital scale on ebay or the like for around $30 and it is accurate to within .1 grains, which is a necessity when loading a tiny cartridge like the .380. The scale that comes with the lee is probably not very good, thus my desire to have a second to double-check. I think it is the XV-50 series

http://www.jscale.com/product/_xv_series.html

You want to get the manuals, as what I have found online varies wildly. I usually like to confirm a load in 2-3 manuals + online postings before deciding where to start, so the more the merrier. For other tools, you may eventually want a tumbler to clean your brass, maybe a case trimmer for the 7.62 rounds, chamfer and debur tool ($3-$4), primer pocket cleaner ($3-$4), case lube, maybe a few other odds and ends.

For primers, you need small pistol for 9mm and 380, brand is not so important to me. Not sure on the 7.62, maybe small rifle primer??? Powder is a matter of choice and there are hundreds... I use IMR SR4756 for 9mm, 380, .38, and .45, but may switch to Win 231. Again, probably 100 different combinations, try to find one that will work in several calibers to avoid buying lots of it. Once you find one that works best for you, you can buy big 8 lb cans if you want.

Ok, that should be just about it. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old December 23, 2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I love my Classic Turret.

Yes, it's worth getting an extra turret for each cartridge.

You want carbide dies for handgun rounds.

When I bought mine, Lee Factory Sales had the lowest prices. I understand that Graf and Sons is also well-respected and fair priced.
Old December 23, 2010, 05:05 PM   #5
TXAZ

Thanks,
does the Lee 3 vs. 4 dies set make a difference? The 4 die set is available for the 9 mm. The 3 die set is available for both the 9mm and 380.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 23, 2010, 05:35 PM   #6
BombthePeasants

I would vote for the 4-die set, the Factory Crimp Die is worth the extra money, in my opinion. I use the 4-die set for my .45ACP, and they are dang near flawless.
Old December 23, 2010, 05:49 PM   #7
vico512

The Lee 3-die set will turn-out very usable rounds, if set-up correctly. However, the additional cost of the 4-die set is minimal, and the FCD takes the guesswork out of the equation. That die also does a final sizing on the cartridge, to insure factory specs.
Old December 23, 2010, 05:57 PM   #8
kyle663

I have the lee turret 3 hole, yes buy a turret for each set of dies. It makes changing calibers so much easier. I wouldn't reload the 7.62x39 till you get some experience in reloading, pistol is much more forgiving than rifle. as for manuals, get 2 at least, lee reloading manual and lyman reloading are very good books and have a good section in the front for reloading tips and procedures. the lee scale is a good scale for reference, but i would get a digital too. the rcbs 750 ranger is a good scale and not too expensive. read lots before you start, this is a very rewarding hobby but also a very unforgiving one if you rush or try to cut corners. When in doubt about anything ask or check your manual.
Old December 23, 2010, 06:11 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I started with a 3 die set. It doesn't seem to make any difference for the handgun cartridges that I load, except 357sig, but some people prefer to seat and crimp in separate dies. Now, I use the 4th die basically because there's 4 holes in the turret so you might as well use 4 dies.

For my rifle cartridges, which are all bolt or single shot, I use a Lee Collet neck die along with the Lee "Dead Length" seater and also a Redding Body/Shoulder die. It works great in my guns but I understand that you need a full length die rather than the Redding body die if you load for an auto. I also don't crimp any of my rifle rounds but you would likely need to for an auto.
Old December 23, 2010, 07:56 PM   #10
rdmallory

You will also need a Lee expanding and powder drop die for each caliber if you are using the Lee auto disc.

Well worth it.

Doug
Old December 23, 2010, 10:40 PM   #11
Jim243

Quote:
I wouldn't reload the 7.62x39 till you get some experience in reloading, pistol is much more forgiving than rifle.
Actually rifle is more forgiving than pistol. But neither are fool proof.

What you need is for someone to show you how to do it and what you need.
Or buy some books and read them.

Jim
Old December 24, 2010, 12:52 AM   #12
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmallory
You will also need a Lee expanding and powder drop die for each caliber if you are using the Lee auto disc.

Well worth it.

Doug
Pardon me for jumping in with a correction, but Lee pistol dies are already set up to drop powder from the Lee Auto-Disk powder measure (or, optionally, from a hand-held measure or even a scoop/dipper) through the hollow center of the case-mouth belling die.

You do need the expanding and powder drop die, but it is not an extra. It is an integral part (die #2) of the 3-die and 4-die Lee pistol die sets.

Basically, the case mouth belling die is a small funnel communicating directly with the interior of the case. You can either put a larger plastic funnel in the die top or unscrew the die top and screw in the Lee Auto-Disk powder measure. Very convenient.

Lost Sheep

p.s. (edit) rdmallory is right. Where I said "pistol dies" I should have said "straight-walled cartridge dies". Dies (and the loading sequence) for bottlenecked cartridges is slightly different than for straight-walled cartridges. Since most pistol cartridges (but not all, by any means) are straight-walled, I made the common mistake.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; December 24, 2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: see post-script
Old December 24, 2010, 10:19 AM   #13
rdmallory

Quote:
Pardon me for jumping in with a correction, but Lee pistol dies are already set up to drop powder from the Lee Auto-Disk powder measure (or, optionally, from a hand-held measure or even a scoop/dipper) through the hollow center of the case-mouth belling die.
Most of the time Lees do. The rifle dies don't come with a powder drop and some of the pistol dies are a 2 die set. I know my 5.7x28 did not come with a powder drop.

And the OP mentioned other brands of dies. I like Lee for everything but the .223. The my Lee sizing die on the .223 had issues with crimped primers.
Old December 24, 2010, 10:24 AM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
Which dies and types? Carbide, Titanium, ??? and from which manufacturers?
Carbide on the straight wall cartridges. Lee is fine, and Lee expander die will accommodate the Lee powder measure mounted on top. You might want to get, but do not absolutely need, Lee's Factory Crimp Die.

Quote:
Is it worth getting an extra turret for each type of round?
Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
Scale: I understand the Lee Safety scale stinks. Several have recommended Ohaus. Which model? (I'd prefer to not pay $300 for a scale)
Ohaus makes scales that other people put their name on. Like the RCBS 505. Hint, hint.

Quote:
Which primers and powder?
For 9mm or .380, Bullseye or Winchester 231 should be fine. T.62x39, I don't know.

Quote:
Are the reloading manuals available on-line good or should I look elsewhere?
Get at least one printed manual. I like Lyman's.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 25, 2010, 11:21 PM   #15
coptersteve

Lee 4 hole turret

All the suggestions are good. I recommend Midway USA for all the Lee supplies. Figure out what kind of bullet you are going to load, then buy your powder. I started off with Titegroup for my 45 acp, it was all there was available, now I have Win231 and clays. I love the titegroup for Hornaday 230 grain FMJ,also all that was available. Win 231 for all of my 38 special loads. I started using Clays when I started loading 200 grain roundnose lead from Ore Trail Lazer cast. Titegroup was filthy, jam my gun in no time. I saw someone on this forum was using clays, found a nice load data for it, absolutely love it. I have two manuals, Lee Modern Reloader, since I use their equipment and Speer because I like it. Good luck

Coptersteve
Old December 26, 2010, 01:09 AM   #16
jmortimer

Lee Precision Classic Turret is a fantastic value. I use my turret in single stge mode with the auto-index deactivated. The turrets are great and you set them up and swap them out in a few seconds. I like to hand prime and recommend the Auto Prime (many get two one for large and one for small primers.) You need a set of special shell holders to use them . I like using powder dippers and for that reason the Lee Precision scale works fine for me as I only use it a few times a year. It is a PITA but very accurate.
Old December 26, 2010, 08:16 AM   #17
rdmallory

I would also compare prices at Midssouthshooters and Natchez.

Doug
Old December 26, 2010, 09:24 AM   #18
Qtiphky

Love Lee

I have all Lee equipment from 25 years ago for shotguns and about 3 for pistols and rifles. Lee press, lee dies, lee safety scale, lee powder hopper, lee autodisk etc. . . I reload for 9 different rifle calibers and 7 different pistol calibers. I have one turret and just change the dies out, it's really not a big deal.

The scale works. I don't understand why people have problems with it, it is just like every other balance scale out there. Every now and again I will double check its accuracy and adjust as needed. Again, not a big problem for me.