The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 18, 2018, 06:06 PM   #1
Dano4734

Here’s a good one on airline travel

When I came back from my moose hunt in Alaska my hand loads 45-70 were missing in my checked bag. Called delta and they said it has to be inside a factory box like Remington or such. Mine were in plastic box that all of us reloaders have. When did that rule come about or did someone at the airport in Alaska need 45-70 rounds. I do know my fish box is always a bit lighter when I get back. No big deal but what the heck. I am talking checked bag . Inside was a tsa note that they inspected it. Now I never had problems with ammo in my checked bag and a checked rifle
Old October 18, 2018, 06:12 PM   #2
Sharkbite

The regs are written by folks that are usually NOT gun savvy.

I think most airlines say in a “factory box”. Never mind that the plastic MTM type boxes protect the ammo 100 times better then cardboard.
Old October 18, 2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Dano4734

Exactly
Old October 18, 2018, 07:14 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The regulation does not require an ammo maker's OEM packaging. The airline may have their own regulation that does but, more likely, somebody doesn't know how to read. The law is in 49 CFR 175 § 175.10:

Quote:
(8) Small arms ammunition for personal use carried by a crewmember or passenger in checked baggage only, if securely packed in boxes or other packagings specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition clips and magazines must also be securely boxed. This paragraph does not apply to persons traveling under the provisions of 49 CFR 1544.219.
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...l2-part175.pdf
scroll to the bottom of the 5th page
Old October 20, 2018, 08:29 AM   #5
sparkyv

^^^This^^^
Old October 20, 2018, 07:13 PM   #6
Dano4734

At least they stole my ammo on the way home not during the hunt:-)
Old October 20, 2018, 07:19 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I think a sternly-worded letter to the president of Delta Airlines might be in order. Theft is theft and, since you were not in violation of the law, taking your ammo (and the boxes) was theft.
Old October 21, 2018, 11:51 AM   #8
Dano4734

I called them, all i got was we will look into it. Worst than that when i landed they threw my rifle on the luggage carousel. If I had stopped to hit the restroom what would the odds my rifle would have still been there. Everywhere I flown you had to show id and pick up your gun not have it tossed on the belt for anyone to walk off with it
Old October 21, 2018, 01:30 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Aquila has the answer in post 4. Unfortunately, there’s nothing to be done.

The airline has nothing to do with it anyway. They don’t inspect baggage. That’s TSA. I can tell you from personal experience that the training is constant and specific, and routinely ignored. Small airports are far better than large but even that’s a generalization.

Some TSA “officers” will simply make up their own rules. You’re supposed to be able to pack ammo in “unlimited quantities for personal use”, but you’ll find some who say “personal use” has some sort of limit. There’s no implication of such in the rule.

Next time, pack your ammo in the same case as your gun. It can only be opened in your presence and you should be the only one with keys. You are NOT supposed to use TSA locks on gun cases. No one will be able to steal your ammo.
Old October 21, 2018, 05:14 PM   #10
jmhyer

deleted...sorry
Old October 21, 2018, 11:19 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

According to the Safari Club International, Delta adopted new rules for flying with firearms in 2017 ... and it would appear that Delta dod not follow the rules in Dano's case. That's worth a letter (a written U.S. Postal Service letter) to the CEO.

https://www.safariclub.org/what-we-d...hecked-luggage

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ial-items.html

Quote:
Shooting Equipment

Shooting equipment is allowed as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.
  • Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm.
  • Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if there's a security checkpoint before the Delta counter.
  • All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter.
  • Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration.
  • Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard-sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft-sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
  • Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.
  • Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.
  • You are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA websiteopens in a new window.
  • If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit.
  • Until further advised, passengers departing Brussels, Belgium are not allowed to check weapons including, antique, sporting, hunting or toy rifles in their checked baggage.
  • Customer must be 18 years of age or older
  • All firearms checked as baggage must be picked up at the Baggage Service Office upon arrival at your final destination. ID will be required to claim your checked firearm.

The following types of ammunition are not accepted:
  • Gun powder; such as Pyrodex or Black Powder
  • Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles
  • Ammunition, including case, exceeding 11 pounds (5 kg) gross weight per passenger

Pistols and accessories must be included in one case and contain:
  • Pistol telescopes
  • Noise suppressors
  • A small pistol tool case
  • No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case

Rifles and shotguns must be packaged as follows:
  • One hard sided case containing up to four rifles, shotguns, shooting materials, tools
  • The case must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. All areas designed to be locked must be locked.
  • Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.
  • One hard sided case containing up to five handguns, one scope, tools
  • One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container strong enough to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage
  • No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case

An excess baggage fee will apply if checking more than one gun case.
The Delta regulation states in THREE places that up to eleven pounds of ammunition is allowed, and they specifically state that the ammunition must be in OEM packaging OR "securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes". The regulations also specifically provide that the owner must claim firearms at the baggage office ... NOT off the carousel.
Old October 21, 2018, 11:42 PM   #12
Dano4734

Exactly but I won’t hear a word back about it. When I called about the rifle on the luggage carousel I was told it was the airports responsibility
Old October 22, 2018, 10:01 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano4734
When I called about the rifle on the luggage carousel I was told it was the airports responsibility
That is exactly why a letter to the CEO of Delta is in order. The people who take the luggage off the aircraft, put it on the baggage trucks, and transfer it to the carousel are not "airport" employees, they are employees of Delta Airlines. So, two things happened: First, Delta employees screwed up and failed to follow Delta's procedures for handling a firearm. Second, a Delta employee lied to you about the process.

IMHO, neither of those is acceptable.
Old October 23, 2018, 09:22 PM   #14
KyJim

I don't suppose you went through Atlanta did you? A large number of Delta employees there are incompetent and/or rude. In response to a survey request by Delta once, I suggested they fire everybody at the Atlanta airport. I'm still waiting for a response.
Old October 23, 2018, 09:37 PM   #15
SamNavy

Brian said it. Don't set yourself up for failure any more. Put your ammo in your locked (with non-TSA locks) gun case and it won't get stolen.
Old October 24, 2018, 09:38 AM   #16
Dano4734

I did fly through Atlanta
Old October 25, 2018, 02:12 PM   #17
USNRet93

Regards of what ya think of this gent, some good info here.

https://youtu.be/yd6Cc1r7L40

"Tools not Trophies”
Old October 25, 2018, 02:22 PM   #18
Dano4734

There is and I was very nice. However it’s never justified to remove legally packaged ammunition or just toss a rifle on the luggage carousel. Really few airports have anyone monitoring who gets the bags. I could have lost the rifle had I not been there to collect it
Old October 25, 2018, 02:24 PM   #19
Dano4734

All I did was make them aware of the issues in a kind manner