The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2018, 10:14 PM   #26
Armybrat

For $250 I'd jump on that deal. Paid $314 for mine last year and thought that was a good price...

Old February 17, 2018, 05:23 PM   #27
Contrast Man

Alas, I've waited too long. It's completely sold out now. Maybe they'll come back in stock, but I'm doubtful at that price. Now I guess I can take my time and properly debate between a Shield, PPS, or the new budget Kahr S9.
Old February 18, 2018, 07:34 AM   #28
dean1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrast Man View Post
Alas, I've waited too long. It's completely sold out now. Maybe they'll come back in stock, but I'm doubtful at that price. Now I guess I can take my time and properly debate between a Shield, PPS, or the new budget Kahr S9.
Go to a gunshop

Hold the CW9 and the Shield.

Rack the slides of both.

One will feel like a more robust design.....One will have some sharp edges that should be cleaned up before shipment.... (That arent)

It will be clear when you hold them

If the gunshop will allow, take both apart. Look at the internals. Look at how much of the slide rides on plastic vs steel.

Look at quality of build. One is clearly more refined.

Look at the Magazines side by side....... one is of higher quality

Does the magazine stick out at the bottom of the pistol? (The "look" really doesnt matter to reliability, but the Kahr regular mag, and extended mag dont seem to match the pistol)

It will be clear when you look at them closely

As mentioned the trigger in the Kahr is VERY LONG. (but smooth)
(To me it resembles a revolver trigger)

The Reset takes forever to get to, and isnt audible. The later Shields have a close reset, and the shooter can sense the click. This allows a 'tap-tap' accurate 2nd shot. I have shot my whole life, and this was difficult with a Kahr (Maybe my weakness)

Out of the box, i think the Shield trigger is a bit gritty. The Kahr is smooth, right from round one. The Shield trigger will greatly improve with 200, dry fires. (I think this is a weakness of the Shield, I have an M&P40C, that I carry a high percentage of the time, that had the same thing.) Its a pain in the keester, but dry fire is cheap

$250-$300 is a common price for both (The Shield was on sale for $200 w/rebate 3 months ago)

The Shield ships with 2 magaines, the Kahr ships with ONE.

Most people want a minimum of at least 2 magazines. With shipping and tax,
thats another $40-45 to the NET cost of the Kahr

I will add, for me personally, I added a bike inner tube to the grip of Shield,
which made the thin grip a little "fuller" in my hand

I would also add, that the Remora holster (no clip) is by far the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever tried or used. They dont move. it just sticks.

If you plan on CCW, the holster is important

Good luck on your choice........ in the end, (Though I have owned both, I have my preferences) BOTH are good choices, and both will be reliable in the long run.

Buying American made, wherever I still can

Last edited by dean1818; February 18, 2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old February 23, 2018, 11:12 AM   #29
HighValleyRanch

anyone else like the looks of the Kahr CW carbon fiber model?

If my deal on the K40 falls through, might go for that one.

Although the specs looks the same as the shield size, it looks larger to me, but can't find any visual comparisons online so far. The slide looks clunkier maybe because it's more squared off at the top?
Old February 23, 2018, 02:24 PM   #30
Armybrat

The dimensions of both guns are very similar, but to me the Shield is a bit "bulky" like a small Glock. Whereas the CW9 is a lot smoother overall, and not just in the trigger.
The Shield trigger out of the box kinda sucked, but the gun was a b'day gift for my DIL - so I don't know if it has smoothed out or not. The CW9 trigger is really slick, IMO.
The Shield fit & finish is very good for a budget 9mm. Sorry for the quick shot from my crappy iPhone5 camera....

The dimensions for the Kahr are found here:

http://whichgun.com/pistols/view/kah...ufacturer:kahr

And the Shield here:

http://whichgun.com/pistols/view/smi...son-m-p-shield

Looks like the Kahr has the slight edge in being smaller & a little lighter in weight.

Last edited by Armybrat; February 23, 2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old February 23, 2018, 03:07 PM   #31
HighValleyRanch

thanks for the comparison picture!
From what I understand, the K9 and the CW9 are the same size.
But the K40 is slightly wider in the slide.