The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 12, 2018, 05:46 PM   #1
Buckeye!

Ruger Super Blackhawk 44Mag

Thinking about making my first revolver of 2018..,
I first thought about a SA/DA revolver .. maybe a S&W 69 or even a Taurus Tracker .. ... Both are lighter .. but 5 shot .. and Id like to try some of my brothers 300gr HC that are a bit stout ... He has had a 3 screw SBH for years ..and has taken quite a few Whitetails and a couple of large blackbears ...
So I decided on the SBH , a no nonsense , tuff as nails SA revolver ..
Im leaning toward a 4 5/8 inch barrel ... making it compact and easier to tote ..
Use of the gun will be range fun and woods carry ...

Just wanting to see what you 44 mag shooters think about my choice or have any suggestions..
Old January 12, 2018, 06:14 PM   #2
gwpercle

Sounds like a good plan to me.
I'm sure you will get some flak about a 4 5/8 in barrel, that's too short , you need a longer barrel for hunting , not as accurate , giving up velocity...yadda , yadda , yadda

I like the 4 5/8 inch , easier to carry, faster into action , lots of reasons....but mainly I just like the way they balance and how they look. Don't let them talk you out of it.....
Gary
Old January 12, 2018, 06:20 PM   #3
Steve in PA

I own a lot of handguns, Rugers especially with a 7.5" Super Blackhawk among them. I use it for hunting here in PA. The barrel is a tad bit long for general, all around woods carry, so your choice of the 4 5/8" barrel is a good one.

If I ever get some money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd probably pick up another Ruger with the shorter barrel.
Old January 12, 2018, 06:29 PM   #4
BBarn

I like the look and feel of the 4 5/8" SBH. And I enjoy shooting it with light to moderate loads. But I find it uncomfortable with full power loads. Others like shooting stout loads in them.

Last edited by BBarn; January 12, 2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Typo
Old January 12, 2018, 08:33 PM   #5
Doyle

Well, I own a 5" .44 mag (not a SBH) and I really wouldn't want anything shorter. Yes, it carries a tad better than a 6" but the downside is more muzzle blast and a shorter sight plane.
Old January 12, 2018, 08:51 PM   #6
rodfac

Quote:
I'm leaning toward a 4 5/8 inch barrel ... making it compact and easier to tote .
Yep, so long as it's legal for hunting in your state, it's far better for carrying, and I've not seen any accuracy difference out to 50 yds using a 4-5/8" bbl. vs. the longer 6-1/2". I believe that while handgun hunting deer or other big game with iron sights, shots should be limited to 50 yds to ensure a good clean ethical kill.

The longer bbl. just pokes up into your ribs on any sort of modern conveyance when using a belt holster. The longer tube can be carried in a shoulder rig or even a tanker chest type, neither of which suits me. YMMV, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 12, 2018, 08:56 PM   #7
shootniron

Quote:
The longer bbl. just pokes up into your ribs on any sort of modern conveyance
If this happens, you are carrying the gun upside down.
Old January 12, 2018, 09:24 PM   #8
Northof50

I'm in the minority. With the magnums, I like the longer barrels. Cartridge performance is better, sight radius is better, felt recoil is less. I with S&W would bring the 8 3/8 barrel back for the M29. 45s, 38s 9s, 40s, etc. I like smaller. But, if you're going to shoot a magnum...make it a big one. Just my 2 cents. Good luck. Cannot go wrong with a Ruger revolver - they'll outlast you and your kids.
Old January 12, 2018, 09:33 PM   #9
Sequins

I love my Super Blackhawk. I have a 7.5in model and it's extremely accurate. I also think the dragoon triggerguard 7.5in models look great too.
Old January 12, 2018, 09:37 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

For decades, the only way you got a Super Blackhawk was with the 7.5" barrel and dragoon triggerguard. Today, you've got a lot more options.

I have one. Also 7.5" Blackhawks. Don't care for shorter barrels on hunting guns. Have 5.5" and shorter Vaqueros for play. For serious work, its adjustable sights and longer barrels for me.

Either/all are good guns, all a matter of what you want most, there's no free lunch.
Old January 13, 2018, 12:21 AM   #11
rock185

Sounds reasonable to me Buckeye. Though I've had more than one 7 1/2" SBH, the 4 5/8" - 5" barrels are my favorites. I do prefer the longer Dragoon grip frame to give purchase to my little finger. The shorter barreled SBH variants with the standard short grip frame are too short to be comfortable for me, especially in .44 Magnum. Years ago, I had two 7 1/2" SBHs shortened to ~5" to get the barrel length I wanted, with the longer Dragoon style grip frame. Felt the same when I ordered My Freedom Arms revolver with the 4 3/4" barrel. Fortunately, the FA grip frames are plenty long and relatively comfortable in use IMHO.
Old January 13, 2018, 04:10 AM   #12
FrankenMauser

Seems like a decent plan.
But...
Buy used.
Current Rugers are garbage.
Old January 13, 2018, 07:07 AM   #13
fourbore

I have both 4 5/8 and 5 1/2 SBH. I prefer the 5 1/2 as best over all compromise for looks, feel/pointing, sighting and carry. I was not going to bother posting since the first insulting reply then I read rocks comment on the small grip frames.

Rock is 100% right on and it boggles my mind how ruger would put the single six grip frame on a 44mag just because the barrel was shorter! It looks odd and grip is horrible. I setup both of mine with Pachmayer wrap around rubber grips. Problem solved with an improvement over either grip frame. I have big hands, this may not suit everyone. The hogue does not seem to install and fit as well and it typically scars the bottom of the back strap. The hogue might give more clearance to the middle finger and trigger guard? And, not sure the Pachmyr is still made. I found one on ebay for my 45 black hawk conv. Same deal - small grip frame! I will let you guess the barrel length.

Oh yea, the quality control and new guns do leave something to be desired. I got my recent 45 new, would have been better off with a good clean used example. Things keep changing, it hard to keep up. It is ok though. I will be more careful in the future and no more internet Rugers for me.

Last edited by fourbore; January 13, 2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old January 13, 2018, 07:49 AM   #14
2damnold4this

I enjoy shooting my 7 1/2" SBH and have taken an eight point with it. But it isn't as fun to carry as a shorter barrelled revolver might be.
Old January 13, 2018, 07:56 AM   #15
arquebus357

Nice solid SA revolver. Just don't ever take it apart.

Old January 13, 2018, 08:12 AM   #16
Targa

Nice choice OP. I have the 5 1/2 inch, it is definitely at the top of my favorites list.
Old January 13, 2018, 09:59 AM   #17
Bob Wright

Seems I prefer the longer tubes on my .44s:

Now, for carry, it is the shorter lengths:

Bob Wright
Old January 13, 2018, 10:53 AM   #18
223 shooter

Quote:
I like the look and feel of the 4 5/8" SBH. And I enjoy shooting it with light to moderate loads. But I find it uncomfortable with full power loads.
I've owned Super Blackhawks in 5.5" , 7.5" and even the 10.5" versions and for firing full power 240 grains and heavier I like the longer barrels. The small grip frame of the 5.5" is just like the 4 5/8" and the first time firing it with 240 XTP reloads the revolver pivoted upwards to the point where the sharp edge of the upper grip frame actually cut the base of my thumb.

For the short SBH I would still rather have the longer Dragoon grip frame. The short grip frame is fine for 22 lr Single Sixes and even Blackhawk 357s.

Quote:
Id like to try some of my brothers 300gr HC that are a bit stout
Good luck!
Old January 13, 2018, 11:08 AM   #19
Duster340

Goid choice! Have had my 7.5^ SBH since 1977-78. Great piece, accurate as hell put thousands of rounds through her without a hiccup. I think your choice of a shorter barrel is a good one. I recently switched to a 4" 629 because the 7.5" SBH in a hip holster (my preference) was uncomfortable sitting in my stand, or car. The shorter barrel carries much nicer for me.

Be well
Old January 14, 2018, 09:55 AM   #20
tallball

My 7.5" 44 magnum Super Blackhawk is my favorite firearm. I prefer shooting the longer-barreled revolvers, but I don't prefer carrying them. If the OP is going to carry his, the shorter barrel makes sense.

I also would recommend buying used. They are very sturdy tools. Mine is from 1970 or so and has been shot a lot. It still functions perfectly and is more accurate than I am. I won it for a $399 bid on Gunbroker a couple of years ago.
Old January 15, 2018, 12:50 PM   #21
GeauxTide

I've owned 3 SBH over the years and still have one. If you are recoil sensitive, at all, the short barrel with the round trigger guard will bite you, even though the short one only weighs 3 ounces less. I have a 5.5" Bisley 45 Colt that I just had a SBH grip frame installed because it pounded my middle finger knuckle. If you insist on the short barrel, get some big Altamont Grips. FWIW, I've got six Blackhawks, two with 7.5" and four with 5.5". I've been using El Paso Crossdraw holsters for a while and can sit comfortably in a vehicle with any.
Old January 15, 2018, 01:26 PM   #22
BBarn

Though a little larger, I find the Bisley significantly more comfortable to shoot with stout loads. My hands are a little smaller than average.
Old January 15, 2018, 02:08 PM   #23
ilmonster

I have a blued .44 SuperBlackhawk with the 4 5/8" barrel and unfluted cylinder and love it. I only use it as a range toy, but with my cat sneeze handloads (240 gr SWC's loaded in .44 Mag brass at around 850 fps) it is a joy to shoot all day and shoots like a lazer, second in accuracy only to my Les Baer.

Also, I've taken mine apart for a deep cleaning, and wasn't difficult after watching a youtube video or two.
Old January 15, 2018, 02:24 PM   #24
brian33x51

I have a 9.5" super redhawk. Heavy sucker. As the 5.5" is closer to 6" that's what I'd be tempted to go with at this time if I were going to replace the redhawk.
Old January 16, 2018, 10:26 AM   #25
RedHoundTargets

I’ve got an older Super Blackhawk that I love. I’d go with the longer barrel for the joy of shooting at the range (and hunting) but you’ve got a wider range of use than I do if you’re doing general woods carry. Enjoy it!