The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 13, 2017, 09:46 PM   #1
Bwillsonhunter4

Snow goose gun

I am looking at a snow goose hunting trip and I am wondering somethings. First what shot size is best? What choke? And finally the big question is would my beretta 302 with a max capacity of only 3+1 be okay or should I buy something with more capacity and if I do that would a pump be ok? (Pump to stay cheap) Or would that be to slow? What about the Winchester pump assist?
Old December 14, 2017, 03:44 AM   #2
NHSHOOTER

I may be wrong but I do believe that Federal Migratory law states, no firearm shall be capable of holding more than 3 rounds total.
Old December 14, 2017, 07:42 AM   #3
Mobuck

"I may be wrong but I do believe that Federal Migratory law states, no firearm shall be capable of holding more than 3 rounds total."
"Light geese" (snows/blues) in the spring season have different regulations and most often no shell limit in the guns is one of the perks(?). A local dirt contractor here is big into the snow goose hunting. He told me last spring he and his hunting group shot 10 CASES of shells. My shoulder is throbbing just thinking about that.
From what I've heard, the semi-auto is helpful from the recoil standpoint as the amount and rapidity of shooting beats the shooter up. Shot size may be slightly smaller in the spring season since the geese may not be as fat or as heavily feathered as in the fall.
Old December 14, 2017, 08:06 AM   #4
Bwillsonhunter4

“I may be wrong but I do believe that Federal Migratory law states, no firearm shall be capable of holding more than 3 rounds total."
"Light geese" (snows/blues) in the spring season have different regulations and most often no shell limit in the guns is one of the perks(?).”

In the fall the 3 shell thing is true but in the spring you can have as many as you want in the gun I’m sorry I should have stated that in the original post
Old December 16, 2017, 09:30 AM   #5
samsmix

A good 3" magnum pump or auto is the bread and butter of waterfowl hunting, with the ultimate expressions being the 3.5" guns. The Mossberg 835 and Benelli Super Nova in a pump, or the Super Black Eagle in an auto.
Steel #1 or BB should be about the right shot size.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old December 16, 2017, 10:41 AM   #6
kraigwy

The area across the Knik Arm in Anchorage has some of the best goose hunting in the world. Hunting in Alaska sucks now days, lots of people no roads, so the rivers and roads are bumper to bumper with hunters.

The Waterfowl is the exception.

I've shot a gazillian Canadians and Snows there but that was before the the steel shot rules. I used nothing but a 2 3/4 chambered 12 ga. Remington 870. Loaded my own shells, 1.5 oz of #4s. Never had a problem bringing down the birds.

I dont know much about steel shot. Talk to a waterfower and find the steel load that will match the above load. If that wont get your limit of geese the head to the skeet range and learn to shoot.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 16, 2017, 02:03 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Migratory bird laws are not seasonal. It's 3 rounds in the gun, period. If a State says otherwise, it's violating the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. Highly unusual for there to be a spring hunting season too. Not seeing ANY such season on any of the U.S. hunting regs.
Anyway, a snow goose is smaller in the body than a Lesser Canada(A Greater Canada, aka Giant or Brant's, can have a 10 foot wing span and weigh 16 pounds or more. Lotta friggin' bird. Seem 'em that big in Downtown Toronto.), but the same gun, choke and shot will do nicely.
Old December 16, 2017, 03:42 PM   #8
krimmie

https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/hunting-...-seasons-hours
Old December 16, 2017, 07:45 PM   #9
Mobuck

"Migratory bird laws are not seasonal. It's 3 rounds in the gun, period. If a State says otherwise, it's violating the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. Highly unusual for there to be a spring hunting season too. Not seeing ANY such season on any of the U.S. hunting regs."
Sorry Sir, you're misinformed. No bag limit, no limit on mag capacity, electronic calls are legal, AFIK shooting on the water(not flying) is OK, also. As the above post indicates, Feb 07- April 30 it's a free for all on "light" geese.
Old December 17, 2017, 11:40 AM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

There have been a few occasions with snow geese where I wish I had a 10 ga. in my hands verses the (3" 870.) If goose hunting became my favorite hunt and doing allot. No doubt I'd have that BPS 10 ga. at arms length. (Just like the one seen in the link.)

http://www.browning.com/products/fir...e-stalker.html