The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 17, 2013, 06:48 PM   #76
Deaf Smith

Quote:
If you were a soldier during WWII and you had no rifle, sub-machine gun etc. You only had a sidearm available, which hand gun would you have wanted : The Tokarev TT-33, or the M1911A1? Also, please explain your choice, I look forward to your answers.
1911 without any hesitation.

Why? FMJ rounds used in war showed the 7.62 would just leave a clean hole unless bone was stuck. The 1911, on the other hand, just plowed a big hole!

Plus both held about the same number of rounds but the 1911 had a lot better safety to (in fact the TT-33 didn't have one at all.)

Deaf
Old March 17, 2013, 09:09 PM   #77
RedBowTies88

Quote:
1911 without any hesitation.

Why? FMJ rounds used in war showed the 7.62 would just leave a clean hole unless bone was stuck. The 1911, on the other hand, just plowed a big hole!

Plus both held about the same number of rounds but the 1911 had a lot better safety to (in fact the TT-33 didn't have one at all.)

Deaf
Absolutely incorrect, all tt33 variants have a half cock saftey function. It locks the slide and trigger and only alows the happer to be moved back and not pushed forward
Old March 17, 2013, 09:36 PM   #78
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Absolutely incorrect, all tt33 variants have a half cock saftey function. It locks the slide and trigger and only alows the happer to be moved back and not pushed forward
Most half cock notches are NOT made to stop the hammer if the gun is dropped on the ground.

So get a primed 7.62x25 case and put it in the chamber, then using a plastic hammer see if the half-cock notch can be forced (and thus the gun fires.)

You might re-think packing that gun with just the half cock as a safety.

Deaf
Old March 18, 2013, 07:20 AM   #79
RedBowTies88

I've done that test and my gun does not fire. No dimpelling of the primer whatsoever. You can even finger back the hammer and drop it and it will be caught by that notch until the trigger is pulled.