The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 20, 2007, 11:39 PM   #1
Mantua

Is this abnormal?

Sorry about the picture quality, this is the best I could do.
It looks like brass is wearing the finish off of the slide on my P99 when it's being extracted.

It's a little blurry, but theres a big silver spot where it used to be black. Is this normal wear-and-tear, or is it excessive for a pistol with about 2k rounds through it?
Old August 20, 2007, 11:41 PM   #2
Axion

Mine is doing the same thing for what it's worth.

*edit* After shooting I do see some shininess in the area you indicated. After further inspection it appears that after thorough cleaning and oiling (I'm fussy about keeping my guns clean and well oiled) the mark in question is barely visible and I have just shy of 2000 rounds through mine. I'd say that some wear there is normal, but it shouldn't be anything excessive.

Last edited by Axion; August 21, 2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old August 21, 2007, 12:01 AM   #3
hottbarrell

The tenifer finish on your slide is harder than the brass, I believe what you are seeing is the brass filling the mach marks,intentionally left,for a machinist's anvil effect,"on a microscopic level"for any variance in the casings.
Hard to tell from the pic. with that being said, this the only part of my P99-40cal that is showing "any" wear after 1300+ rounds mostly 180gr white box tried the corbon 135's saved a clip for carry they are hot,any comparison between them and 357sig?
Old August 21, 2007, 12:36 AM   #4
Axion

hotbarrel: If I'm not mistaken the tenifer is NOT the black finish but rather a grayish colored surface treatment that is applied under the aesthetic black coating.
Old August 21, 2007, 12:46 AM   #5
FS2K

A little solvent, a toothbrush and some elbow grease..

And those marks should come right off.
Old August 21, 2007, 12:47 AM   #6
Mantua

^^I thought the same; Tennifer is what's covering the steel, and some kind of paint is covering the Tennifer. The steel coating is fine- I'm losing paint
Old August 21, 2007, 12:55 AM   #7
AmesJainchill

Uh, this isn't an exterior part, correct? So it just looks bad when you disassemble the gun?
Old August 21, 2007, 01:07 AM   #8
Mantua

No, it's external. This pic might be a little better:

What I circled isn't glare, it's bare metal
Old August 21, 2007, 01:26 AM   #9
Axion

Are you sure it's the black finish scrapped away and not brass on the finish. I think I'm getting very slight wear on the finish were you indicate, but after a day of shooting that area will be shiny with brass that apparently scrapes off onto the slide. But like I said, after cleaning and oiling the marks are barely there.
Old August 21, 2007, 01:27 AM   #10
hottbarrell

That seems to be just from ejecting the shells,the rivits on my levi's put rub marks on my slide, I thought I ruined the finish but the brass or copper rivit material came off no damage done, If you havent helped the removal with say scotchbright or another abrasive ,contact walther and see what they say about possibly getting the extractor adjusted,but if it works fine, a little gun blue goes a long way,the finish on my gun appears to be more of a greyish color compaired to the black on your gun.it's a mil.40
Old August 21, 2007, 01:48 AM   #11
hottbarrell

Axion,there is a cosmetic black on some P99s mine is just tenifer,I too thought from the first pic.your problem was just on the bolt face, after a day at the range there is brass on my gun in the same place with just a dry cloth this comes off with a few seconds of wiping same as the rivit marks. I use dri slide graphite on my gun It has never failed me in the past
Old August 21, 2007, 03:40 PM   #12
Dj Dust

Tennifer is actually a metal treatment that penetrates the metal. it doesn't COAT it. you could polish the gun down to bare metal and the Tennifer will still be there.

the black is just paint basically.