The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 31, 2018, 05:50 PM   #1
Deer hunter88

Sccy

Does anyone have any experience with the sccy handguns? Been thinking about buying one but haven’t decided yet.
Old July 31, 2018, 06:02 PM   #2
blchandl2

search is you friend.....

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...highlight=sccy
Old July 31, 2018, 06:49 PM   #3
Pahoo

Meeting your expections is your answer

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with the sccy handguns?
If you have done some homework on this pistol I suggest that you shoot one at a range before you commit. Save some time and ammo and shoot from a rest. You should have some expectation and if it meets or exceed those expectations, this will answer your own question. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old July 31, 2018, 08:49 PM   #4
jonfon10

I have some experience with the SCCY. For the price range it is in it is not a bad gun. The trigger pull is long and if you are not used to double action only you might get a false reset when firing quickly. My fiancé wanted one for her first gun because it was inexpensive and she liked they way it felt. She enjoys shooting it. The gun does have a little bark behind it but the recoil is controllable. Like I mentioned the trigger is nothing to write home about but does smooth out over time. We have put about 1000 round through hers with no malfunction. They do come with a life time no bs warranty which is nice. Like mentioned if you can find someone who has one give it a try. I have sold a few while working at shops and people tend to like them but again it comes full circle back to that long trigger either you love it our hate it.
Old August 1, 2018, 06:28 AM   #5
Ibmikey

I have one in my truck that is shot often by friends who will shoot anything they do not need to buy ammo for. The SCCY barks loudly but has never failed to function properly!
Old August 1, 2018, 10:02 AM   #6
Deer hunter88

Thank you all for the replies. Now I’m looking at the Taurus millennium G2 but both look like great handguns.
Old August 1, 2018, 10:03 AM   #7
pblanc

The pistol is a double action only, hammer-fired pistol with and internal hammer. Like all other DAO hammer-fired pistols, it has a long and fairly heavy trigger pull coupled with a long reset. This is necessary since the hammer spring is in no way cocked or partially tensioned by the slide action. If you don't like DAO hammer-fired pistols, you probably won't like the SCCY.

I shot one twice but it was the same pistol, not owned by me. The owner had purchased it new a few weeks earlier and was trying it out. We shot it on two separate occasions two weeks apart.

The trigger action is somewhat gritty in addition to being long and somewhat heavy, but for its price range I did not find it terrible. I do own two hammer-fired DAO pistols so I am familiar with the mechanism. The pistol is small and was not easy to shoot with any accuracy beyond 15 yards or so. Unfortunately, on both occasions the pistol malfunctioned in both my hands and those of the owner with fairly frequent failures to extract and double feeds. The owner was planning to send it back to SCCY. I don't know what transpired with it after that.

Granted, this experience was with a single pistol, but it did not make me want to rush out and buy one. I have read accounts from quite a few SCCY owners who are happy with their pistols, though.
Old August 2, 2018, 11:05 PM   #8
Deer hunter88

I found a sccy today that I’m interested in but the guy at the pawn shop said that they take the extra clip that comes with the gun and sells them separately. Is that right or wrong?
Old August 2, 2018, 11:17 PM   #9
Ibmikey

I guess it is right if that is what they do, Interarms had an agreement with Star to send the extra mags separately from the pistol and they packaged them for individual sale. As the price of an SCCY is not astronomical I would suggest they put it back in the box or buy elsewhere.
Old August 3, 2018, 02:14 AM   #10
indie_rocker

I have a CPX-2. The trigger pull is long but very smooth. I don't understand how it could be described as gritty. That definitely sounds like a defect. I've had a couple issues with it but the customer service has been the most pleasant and attentive I've ever encountered.

Even with the problem I had, it is still carried on the occasions where I know I'll be sweating a lot or it might get roughed up. I trust it fully to work when it is supposed to.

Extra magazines can be purchased for pretty reasonable prices. Pretty sure the one I bought was less than $20.
Old August 3, 2018, 07:34 AM   #11
Fox84

Mine suffered with light primer strikes. It was picky on what ammo it would run. I sent it to Sccy and it is better but I would not trust my life on it.
Old August 5, 2018, 08:22 AM   #12
Buckeye!

I have owned three .. All worked well ... The trigger is OK , for me .. I cut my teeth on DA revolvers... They all went in trades ,.I like SCCY pistols ... and been pondering picking up another one , to keep this time . I do like the lifetime warrenty, that follows the pistol..
Old August 5, 2018, 08:41 AM   #13
BILLG

Mine works perfect.I pocket carry daily when at work.
Old August 5, 2018, 09:40 AM   #14
unclenunzie

My CPX-2 works fine from NIB to just under 300 rounds, all 124 grain of various types. About 30 of those rounds were +P, but afterwards I made the decision to use only non +P, in line with SCCY's cautions and because they can accelerate wear and tear.

Loose fit between barrel and slide won't support tight groups, but is sufficient for it's purpose in my opinion.

The trigger felt gritty so after a good cleaning I gave it some tetra grease - I am sure any good grease would do - and the pull improved a great deal. Highly recommended to clean and grease the action.

The trigger reset seemed weak to me so I tightened the trigger spring an additional half-turn. Now the reset can be heard and felt. This increased the trigger pull but feels better for me. While I had it apart I rounded the trigger so wasn't quite as edgy on my finger.

My bottom line: At a proper price, it's worthwhile. On occasions I carry it.
Old August 5, 2018, 09:07 PM   #15
MoArk Willy

Deer Hunter88
I bought the Taurus PT11 G2 a few months ago. It's similar to the S&W Shield in size and weight. Other than a failure to return to battery, which required a stronger recoil spring it does what it is supposed to.