The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 21, 2008, 06:51 PM   #1
sig-9

Beretta AL391 Urika2 20ga.

I am looking to pick up a very clean Beretta AL391 Urika2 20ga.
looking for 28" or 26".

Has anyone had any problems with the AL391 Urika's???
Any feedback on the???

Opinion on 28" vs. 26"?

I will be using it for Skeet.
Old November 21, 2008, 07:13 PM   #2
BigJimP

I don't own one but I see lots of them around - and I don't see anybody having any trouble with them unless they don't keep them clean and well lubed ( but that's the same for any gas operated semi-auto, in my opinion ).

I see guys having trouble with reloads on semi's - but its usually a reloader problem (not the machine) - and because they're not resizing properly / or not at all on some of the older machines. But I shoot reloads exclusively in my 12 and 20ga semi-autos.

I prefer to keep my semi-auto, although its a Benelli super sport, on the wet side vs overly dry. I suppose on a gas gun, you don't want to overlube - or it might get gummed up worse than normal.

I would not go below a 28" barrel - even for a skeet gun / but I'm 6'5" and 290 lbs - so I might be a little biased - but personally with any light gun, and all the semi-autos are pretty light, I would go with a longer barrel, even a 30" if they offer it. I also like a gun that's ported - and I don't remember if that model is or not ( I think it keeps the muzzle jump to a minimum - so its easier to acquire the 2nd target ). I also put a little more weight in my semi-autos to get them up around 8 1/2 lbs ( but I don't like that end cap mercury weight / reducer ) it puts the weight too far forward. I tape lead into the stock / inside the foreend on my Benelli - so I don't yank it short on followthru ( which I have a tendancy to do on pairs with a light gun )...

I think Beretta is making a pretty good gun these days.
Old November 21, 2008, 11:40 PM   #3
zippy13

The 391s have a good reputation, and are noted for their light recoil.
Old November 23, 2008, 02:05 AM   #4
olddrum1

Kind of the way I see it is if you are going to be shooting skeet on a regular basis, I would invest in an overunder. If not shooting alot then the 391 is a pretty good gun. My buddy bought a 391 and found out the quanity of shells that we shot he was having to have the 391 worked on a couple of times a year where his over and under never had to be worked on. Just a thought through.
Old November 23, 2008, 08:33 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Youth Shooters program at PGC Trap and Skeet Center near NASA uses the 391s in both 12 and 20 gauge. When kept reasonably clean, they work well.

Unfortunately, cleaning is hit or miss there. Nothing against the guns, they get fired hundreds of rounds each week. They get cleaned whenever.

IMO, the 391's the best semi auto out there for sporting use.

HTH....