The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 15, 2008, 09:51 PM   #26
Legumeofterror

Federal Flight Control copper plated 00 buckshot.
Old October 15, 2008, 10:03 PM   #27
Katrina Guy

hey D, this is still America!

Thusly, you don't have to defend your RIGHT to bear any legal arm of your choosing to defend your family, this is a good forum, pick a type of gun and get the scoop on it preferably before you purchase, or purchase the wrong one. I'm no gun expert, I don't know what makes them tick really in the inside, but thanks to this forum I was able to obtain sufficient input on the various brands, how reliable etc.

Now if they only had a forum on how to get girls! LAUGH
Old October 15, 2008, 10:09 PM   #28
jheitertusa

Quote:
KRSMRT:
Shotgun Shooting in Butte, Montana Home Preteen vs. Illegal alien November 5, 2007

Two illegal aliens, Ralphel Resindez, 23, and Enrico Garza, 26, probably believed they would easily overpower home-alone 11 year old Patricia Harrington after her father had left their two-story home. It seems the two crooks never learned two things: they were in´ Montana ´and Patricia had been a clay shooting champion since she was nine.

Patricia was in her upstairs room when the two men broke through the front door of the house. She quickly ran to her father's room and grabbed his 12 gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun. Resindez was the first to get up to the second floor only to be the first to catch a near point blank blast of buckshot from the 11-year-old 's knee crouch aim. He suffered fatal wounds to his abdomen and genitals.

When Garza ran to the foot of the stairs, he took a blast to the left shoulder and staggered out into the street where he bled to death before medical help could arrive.

It was found out later that Resindez was armed with a stolen 45 caliber handgun he took from another home invasion robbery. That victim, 50-year-old David Burien, was not so lucky. He died from stab wounds to the chest.

Ever wonder why good stuff never makes NBC, CBS, PBS, MSNBC, CNN, or ABC news........an 11 year old girl, properly trained, defended her home, and herself......against two murderous, illegal immigrants......and she wins, she is still alive.
This is an old and still circulating urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/homeinvasion.asp

However, things like that do happen. It's just that this is a made up story based on bits and pieces of others, and it's been floating around the net for years. There are better examples I'm sure.
Old October 16, 2008, 10:28 AM   #29
Cerick

I have a similar shotgun to the one your gonna get, I think.

I usually load mine with 3" Remington 00 or 000 buck, though now that I put the pistol grip on it I try to stay with 2 3/4" shells. Always with 00 or 000 buck. The best pattern I got was with Federal Tactical 2 3/4" 00 buck with Flite Control Wad. At 25 yards it patterned like this.

my fault for aiming high plus for some reason I only counted 7 pellets hit instead of 9
Old October 18, 2008, 10:03 AM   #30
Caeser2001

Quote:
Just learned that to have it and need it is better than needing it and not having it...
+1 and condoms for us non married folk.
Old November 10, 2008, 07:47 PM   #31
wjh2657

ONEOUNCE:

I live in what should be the safest area in the U.S. A small town in Tennessee. As I sit here watching the 6 o'clock news I have just listened to the description of the fifth house break-in and multiple murder of the preceding night. 5 Houses broken into and 9 innocent people dead. (No, these were not drug deals gone bad, these were middle aged to elderly church going working people.) All of these within 50 miles of my home. Sorry I am paranoid but I'll be damned if I will be the next victim!

Maverick 88 with 2 3/4 " #4 Buck.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:22 PM   #32
oneounceload

WJH - not saying not to be concerned or prepared - BUT, that being said, in reading many posts on many threads here, I believe I'm seeing posts from people who have played too many violent video games and think they need an arsenal greater than the US military....get yourself whatever gun you feel comfortable with, and PRACTICE with it until you can do it from a sound sleep - and so can everyone in your home

JMO, YMMV
Old November 10, 2008, 10:24 PM   #33
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Sure do as OOL suggests but remember you should never "do it from your sleep"
Brent
Old November 10, 2008, 10:29 PM   #34
oneounceload

Most people don't even practice family fire drills, let alone gun/defense drills - which is unfortunate.

Besides hogdogs, I know you're giving me a hard time, buy I believe you know what I mean about that as well...
Old November 10, 2008, 10:42 PM   #35
scorpion_tyr

I recently purchased my first HD shotgun. Got the standard 12g pump w/ 18" barrel. I did alot of research on finding the best ammo for HD. It really depends on where you live. If you live in an apartment or duplex I wouldn't load anything bigger than #4 BK. If you live in a house with other people I would go with the same. If you live by yourself with no close neighbors I would definetly go with 00 BK. It's a proven man stopper. At close ranges for inside the home birdshot and #4 BK are just as lethal as 00. I personally have a FNP .40 S&W with Trijicon night sights for inside the home defense. I have the shotgun loaded with 00 BK and 5 HP Slugs on the stock for outside the home defense because I live right across from a BAD apartment complex and my driveway seems to attract the "suspicious" characters about 3 nights a week. My father was shot (accidental discharge by the drunk next door) by a 12g loaded with birdshot. None of the pellets even penetrated his arm and side because they went through two windows and two thick curtains before they hit him approx 20 feet away. They just stung a bit. That just shows you the penetration power of birdshot. If I lived in an apartment I would use #4 BK. It's not worth killing the bad guy just to kill the 9 year old girl next door to.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:50 PM   #36
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yeah OOL I was just actin' a fool and ribbin' ya'...
scorp, If you approach HD as the serious consideration it deserves than you will keep the shots close and with the best chance of putting them where they belong. Once the round shot load goes into a body the velocity and energy will be reduced so over penetration is much less a concern. I would use 00buck once I buy a short barrel for my Maverick even though I dislike a crossbolt safety for HD application. But since I am relegated to my 20gauge with 18 inch barrel I am stuck with #3 buck.
Brent
Old November 11, 2008, 12:16 AM   #37
wjh2657

I think you and I do agree on some things there, ONEOUNCE. I sometimes also get a little upset with the Heavy Machine Gun and RPG solution to SD and HD. I spent 30 years active duty with the USMC, so I don't scare easily. I have a simple system of SD carry and HD . My SD/EDC ( yes, I do have TN HCP) are S&W J Frames in .38 Spl. At home I have the Maverick 88 12 guage in a Home Back Up bed rack at night. I also keep my EDC in a mattress holster at night. I have no children at home and lock up the guns in the gun safe when they are visiting.

My house has double doors (substantial storm door plus heavy door) both are double locked (key and dead-bolt), windows are very sturdy and placed high from ground. Outside security lights cover entire yard when turned on. House and garage are on ADT. I say this just to show that I have tried to "Harden the perimeter" so that hopefully weapons won't be necessary. 20 years ago I would not have done any of this, but times are different. We didn't have national affiliation gangs wandering around our area then and nobody even locked their doors.
Old November 16, 2008, 11:33 AM   #38
tubeshooter

I actually keep my first load as birdshot for HD - for the reason that if I happen to have an AD/ND, somebody unauthorized (e.g. a kid) is messing around with it, or somehow the gun gets turned on me (due to whatever circumstances), maybe I'll be grateful for every shred of reduced power in that first shot. I can always rack and fire again for a more effective shell if needed. Of course ideally none of these things should ever happen, but you can never say never. So that's my logic and I'm sticking to it.

I also have a few of those #4 turkey loads. It's not buckshot, but it still seems pretty impressive and at HD ranges it doesn't appear to be the same class as standard #6 shot, even though it is still birdshot.
Old November 16, 2008, 07:56 PM   #39
Mannlicher

mixing loads, and using birdshot are not good ideas with a defensive shotgun.

I load my HD shotguns with 00, or #1 Buck. The don't all pattern well with the same load. My solution to the dreaded specter of 'over penetration', is to make sure I hit my target.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 16, 2008, 08:04 PM   #40
Vince1911

Heres a video with allot of info on different shotgun ammo types.

Shotgun Ammunition: 'Rounds of Authority'
Old November 16, 2008, 10:58 PM   #41
dabigguns357

I use low recoil slugs out of my mossberg 500 rifled barrel and if i have enough time to grab my rig too,i'll do just that.If my shotgun gets taken or i can't use an arm or end up underneath the bad guy in a struggle then i still can defend myself.As far as h/d drills go,my wife and i practice what we'll do about every 2 weeks.

Old November 22, 2008, 07:09 PM   #42
540mope

here is a very good article on choosing HD ammo

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

i keep 00, and #1 loaded in the 870.
Old November 22, 2008, 08:38 PM   #43
hasbro_fan

Quote:
Heres a video with allot of info on different shotgun ammo types.

Shotgun Ammunition: 'Rounds of Authority'
Thanks for posting that video link. Very clear the differences between bird, buck, and slugs. Tells me the clear limits of bird.