The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 18, 2008, 10:06 AM   #1
H5N1

SBE 2, Scrap Iron

What are ya'lls thoughts on the super black 2? I've had two guys hang the wad in the barrel in my blind! Almost killed us twice! Two diffrent guns!
Old November 18, 2008, 10:12 AM   #2
H5N1

sbe2

This happened shooting drylock 1 9/16. With modified choke. I've never seen one that would cycle much else but a big load

Last edited by H5N1; November 18, 2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old November 18, 2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A pair of hunting buds use and like the SBEII. Both use Hevishot 2s for geese, no probs and a great kill ratio.

Maybe it's the ammo.
Old November 18, 2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Death from Afar

Difficult to see how the gun could be at fault for this- awesome guns, I love them.
Old November 18, 2008, 04:26 PM   #5
H5N1

I've been lucky enough to have been able to waste a lot of my life in duck blinds, and have seen them time after time loose the butt plates and fail to cycle, my huntin partner got his brand new and it would't fire at all! Just wondered what ya'lls respected opinions were, thanks for the comments
Old November 18, 2008, 04:47 PM   #6
BigJimP

A wad sticking in the barrel is never a good thing / and certainly dangerous - but it seems to me everytime I've seen that happen on a funny sounding "blooper" shell - its been an ammo problem ( usually a reload problem / or a reloader problem...).

I have a son in the Marine Corps - and when they had such good results with the Benelli - I took a look at them - and bought a 12ga Super Sport. I liked it so well - last year I bought another one in 20ga / last week I bought another virtually unfired used 12ga Super Sport just to put away for one of the boys someday.

I can't say enough good things about my Benelli's. I do not own a SBE - but I sure don't hear anything bad about them either. The mechanism on the SBE and the Super Sport are identical - but if that shell fired normally, I don't understand how that wad stuck in the barrel either.
Old November 18, 2008, 08:08 PM   #7
H5N1

I will say this, bad as I hate to, the old SBE made by H&K were tough as any I've seen.We left one in the back of the truck and in the bottom of the airboat for a season and it was relentless! These new ones have a lot of advertisement dollars behind them. But they just can't make the grade below freezing in the swamp.
Old November 18, 2008, 10:31 PM   #8
Jeff Mulliken

A stuck wad has exactly nothing to do with the gun.

Jeff
Old November 18, 2008, 10:43 PM   #9
vranasaurus

My SBE will cycle anything from 2 3/4 target loads to 3 1/2 goose loads. Never had a problem.
Old November 19, 2008, 12:32 PM   #10
BigJimP

Leaving a paddle in a boat makes sense / leaving a weapon in the back of a pickup, in the bottom of a boat (and not taking care of it properly), makes no sense... but I still don't think a wad stuck in a barrel has anything to do with the weapon.
Old November 19, 2008, 10:53 PM   #11
H5N1

I agree,I treat my duck guns like a boat paddle.(Only duck guns should be treated this way) But it tests them for shure.all guns work well when cleaned and in a controled enviroment,duck hunting is nasty. And it sux to have a single shot cuz you droped your gun in the marsh on your way in. Aside from the wad stickage the shells have EXACTLY NOTHING to do with the guns poor performance. To the rest of you, thanks for your comments and feedback

Last edited by H5N1; November 19, 2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old November 20, 2008, 11:43 AM   #12
BigJimP

Good paddles are expensive - put that puppy up for sale since you don't like it anyway ... I'll be happy to take it off your hands / I'll even give it a bath ....and take good care of it.
Old November 20, 2008, 09:03 PM   #13
H5N1

Haha! Jim, I would have but its gone already, Have you shot that Winchester that is chambered in 3 1/2?
Old November 21, 2008, 01:13 PM   #14
BigJimP

No problem, I was just being a smart mouth ...no offense meant.

I'm not sure which Winchester you're referring too - but I haven't test fired too many of the new Winchesters except the SX3 semi-auto they came out with a year or so ago / and I only put 10 rounds or so through it. I think the one I had a chance to fire was a 3" but I don't remember - it was at a sporting clays tournament / some of the mfg's had some guns to testfire and play with one afternoon.

I thought the SX3 was a pretty nice gun / had a decent feel to it - but all the semi-autos feel really light and it causes me a few problems on follow thru. I've added about 1 lb to my Benelli Super Sports - so they swing better / or to suit me. I know Browning has a new semi-auto coming out too - and I expect it to be virtually the same gun as the SX3 since they're all the same corportation now. I used to travel to Stuttgart, AR every year to hunt ducks - but I haven't gone for a couple of years. I don't waterfowl as much as I used to - and I've never been a big goose hunter so I've never had a need for a 3 1/2" chambered gun - and I don't pay that much attention to the different 3 1/2" offerings coming out.

What model are you talking about ?
Old November 21, 2008, 11:30 PM   #15
H5N1

I was thinking about the SX3, haven't got a chance to shoot one yet or hunt with anyone who had one. I totaly agree on the added weight for follow thru. Most of my skeet guns have 30 or 32s and it seems to add enough for me.