The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 5, 2014, 09:00 AM   #76
wogpotter

From this mornings news.
90% of the refusing to register are police officers.
Based on that is this really the plan for the state:
1: Have 10% of the officers arrest the other 90% of the force.

2: Have the remaining 10% arrest the 70% of the population that are refusing to comply.

3: Hire the remaining 30% at large as prison guards.

4: Claim a HUGE, WORLD SHATTERING reduction in unemployment across the state.

Yes I know, it's utterly ridiculous when presented in that way, but it IS utterly ridiculous so why not?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 5, 2014, 10:35 AM   #77
scpapa

Quote:
wogpotter: From this mornings news.
90% of the refusing to register are police officers.
Do you have a link?

Rick
Member IALEFI, SCLEOA
Old March 5, 2014, 11:17 AM   #78
steve4102

It is my understanding that CT LEO are exempt from the 13-3 laws, both on-duty and off duty.

If this is true, they have nothing to refuse.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494616
Old March 5, 2014, 11:46 AM   #79
wogpotter

linky:
http://www.callthecops.net/connectic...ps-state-list/
Quote:
Reportedly multiple people in the room in the most sarcastic voices they could muster said “the police”.

The unnamed intern then pointed at the list and said, “my dad’s name is on the list, and he is the police chief. I see three other names on this list of family members, all cops.”

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 5, 2014, 12:00 PM   #80
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogpotter
linky:
http://www.callthecops.net/connectic...ps-state-list/
Quote:
Reportedly multiple people in the room in the most sarcastic voices they could muster said “the police”.

The unnamed intern then pointed at the list and said, “my dad’s name is on the list, and he is the police chief. I see three other names on this list of family members, all cops.”
Just to be clear, wogpotter's link is satire. From the site, which bills itself as "America's 27th Most Trusted Source for Public Safety News:"
Quote:
This site is a satire of the current state of Law Enforcement, Fire Fighting and Emergency Medical work. Stories posted here are not real and you should not assume them to have any basis in any real fact. Heck we tend to leave in spelling and grammer errors just to prove we is not the professional media. No reference of an individual, company, or government entity seeks to inflict malice or emotional harm.
Old March 7, 2014, 07:01 AM   #81
Elerius

I don't own rifles so I don't know a whole lot about that aspect of them. But I used to work in armed security and from all the people I worked with that I still keep in contact with, none of them declared their hi cap pistol magazines. I don't even know anyone who has.

I don't see the lack of compliance surprising given that the same thing happened in New Jersey. It was my understanding that the reason your hi cap mags could be grandfathered in here in CT was to avoid the embarrassment of having nobody turn them over, but they're still having the same problem anyways.

While amusing to me, I don't see any actual use coming of the noncompliance. There are countless cases where political forces just don't get the hint and stubbornly persist in maintaining the laws that everybody ignores and this might just be another one. I have little hope that voting in better politicians is a useful strategy because there are still too many people that don't care about supporting gun rights. What I have more faith in is the single individual that can finally get to SCOTUS with a blanket case on infringement of the 2nd amendment and win, like that one arrow that hits the dragon in exactly the right spot to kill it and thus slapping down the efforts of all states and cities to pass these restrictions. If anything comes my way legally, I'll be joining the lines of people trying to get that far in court.
Old March 9, 2014, 06:16 PM   #82
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeperOath
since most Governments do not have to live under the Laws they dream-up.

...and in the case of the CT 13-3 laws, the LEO that are in place to enforce these laws do not have to abide by them either.
Old March 10, 2014, 08:04 AM   #83
Uncle Buck

http://www.examiner.com/article/conn...e-new-gun-laws

It seems some police officers have decided they would not enforce the law.

Although I see this as a good turn in events there in Ct, At what point is a law unconstitutional? I thought a court had to rule it was unconstitutional.
Old March 10, 2014, 09:45 AM   #84
steve4102

Apparently Dave Hardy the Attorney that first reported this is now saying it is most likely a hoax.

http://ccdl.us/blog/2014/03/09/fake-news/
Old March 10, 2014, 05:00 PM   #85
KyJim

Re police not enforcing the law -- this was covered just a couple of posts up. I know we sometimes skim long threads, but zeesh, this was just posted.
Old March 11, 2014, 10:28 AM   #86
steve4102

A CT Police officer has been placed on adm. leave for his comments regarding firearm confiscation on Facebook. Officer Peterson made comments on his FB page basically saying he can't wait to get the order to kick in doors and confiscate.

http://freedomoutpost.com/2014/03/ct...ZqHK8ChL00G.99
Old March 11, 2014, 04:16 PM   #87
KyJim

I looked at the screen grab of what was apparently part of the conversation. It's not all one-sided on the brusqueness meter but a police officer should act with a cooler head.