The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2013, 04:08 PM   #1
rebs

std or mag primers ?

When you guys reload 223 for your AR's do you use standard or magnum primers ? Can the magnum's be used with all powders for 223 ?
Old November 9, 2013, 09:25 PM   #2
FtrPilot

Personally, I use magnum primers - CCI-41

You should check out the following link:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hlight=cfe+223

Wyoredman conducted a comparison test between standard and magnum primers. The results indicate that magnum primers provide a lower ES (extreme spread) and a lower SD (standard deviation) than regular primers. His test was conducted using CFE-223 powder, which is what I am currently using for my .223 loads.

I don't know about using magnum primers with "all powders" for .223.

FtrPilot
Old November 9, 2013, 10:12 PM   #3
Valornor

Mag primers have more ignition and are designed to more completely ignite hard to ignite primers. With that said it does alter the burn of the powder. Think of it this way if you have an easy to ignite powder that suddenly goes up all at once your peak chamber pressure will be higher then if it was ignited a little less suddenly.

If you are running start loads you probably won't notice a difference. With exception it will probably reduce Extreme Spread....but unless you had a chronograph you won't know the difference. However if you are running hot loads you could potentially run into trouble.

To answer your question in short. Yes you can use them, just be careful working up your loads. Start low and work up looking for signs over over pressure.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/
Old November 9, 2013, 10:54 PM   #4
zxcvbob

Quote:
When you guys reload 223 for your AR's do you use standard or magnum primers ? Can the magnum's be used with all powders for 223 ?
I don't have an AR but I have a Mini-14. I use Wolf .223 primers; they are supposed to be a hot primer with a hard cup (like CCI 41's). All I've loaded so far has been Varget, which doesn't really need a magnum primer. I bought a bunch of WC844 powder (resembles H335) so I will find out soon if they are really "magnum" enough when I switch over to that.

Use can always use a magnum primer with any powder in anything; it may or may not be the best choice but it will work. Don't switch from regular primers to magnum primers in a load you've already worked-up without dropping back and working it up again.
Old November 10, 2013, 05:41 AM   #5
A_Gamehog

I use CCI450's and Rem 7 1/2's for my AR-15 loads. Stick or Ball powder it works fine with either. Wolf SRM are also good.
Old November 10, 2013, 07:25 AM   #6
rebs

My main powder is H335, 24.0 gr with a 55 gr bullet. I have loaded a few of this load with CCI 41's. Is the CCI 41 a magnum primer ?
Old November 10, 2013, 07:32 AM   #7
A_Gamehog

Usage Chart

Quote:
The 41's and 34's contain Magnum priming mix and should be treated as such.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...imer_chart.htm
Old November 11, 2013, 03:30 AM   #8
steve4102

I use Rem 7 1/2 primers (a Mag Primer) in all my 223/5.56 loads.
Yes, the CCI 41 is a Mag primer.
Old November 13, 2013, 09:17 AM   #9
rebs

I have bought the following powders since they were what I could find at the time, CFE223, IMR3031, H335, H322, and AR comp. I have found accurate loads with each of these using a std primer and 55 gr bullet. I am using load data for 223 not for 5.56. None of them are max loads. Recently the only primers I could get were CCI small rifle magnum primers, can they be used with the powders I have ?

CCI says they developed the 41 primer for use in AR rifles and it is a magnum primer, if this is in fact the case then they can be used with all powders in an AR, right ? Also if that is true then CCI srm primers should be able to be used with all powder in an AR rifle, Right ?

Last edited by rebs; November 13, 2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old November 13, 2013, 09:56 AM   #10
zxcvbob

Quote:
I have bought the following powders since they were what I could find at the time, CFE223, IMR3031, H335, H322, and AR comp. I have found accurate loads with each of these using a std primer and 55 gr bullet. I am using load data for 223 not for 5.56. None of them are max loads. Recently the only primers I could get were CCI small rifle magnum primers, can they be used with the powders I have ?
Yes, they will work fine. In cold weather, they are probably even the preferred primer with some of those powders.