The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 5, 2001, 01:28 PM   #1
Aggie

Help ID a Rossi .357 Mag?

If anyone could help me I would appreciate it. I am interested in:
1) Identifying a model number, name or standard descriptive terminology (such as, is it a K-frame size or what?) for this revolver. BTW, POS does NOT qualify as a standard descriptive term! I need this info to help in finding a holster for it. Need I say, NONE of my holsters fit this thing! I am also interested in getting different grips for it.
2) Determining it's aprox. age.

I have acquired a Rossi stainless steel(?) .357 Magnum, 4" bbl, w/ S/Ns :
F046xxx on the right side frame
M7xx on the left frame under the cylender crane
85xx on the inside of the cylinder crane
The same 85xx number is repeated on the front face of the cylinder.

There is nothing that I interpret as a model number or name.

It's also marked:
AMADEO ROSSI S.A. on the left of the barrel and /357 MAG on the right of the barrel
On the forward portion of the right side plate (3 screws), it is labled:
MADE IN BRAZIL
INTERARMS
ALEXANDRIA, VIRGINIA

At the rear of the right side plate, just above the rubber Pachmyr type grips is the Rossi seal & trade mark text.

The cylinder rod is shrouded by a full under-barrel lug.

The sights include a hi-viz pinned front sight with a red insert. The rear sight is elevation and windage adjustable. The top of the barrel is ribbed. The rear sight has a section of ribbing in front of the sight element itself.

The grips are two piece molded rubber, kinda like Pachmyars, and are marked with the ROSSI logo on the right side. One scree, on the right, attaches the grips.

The durn thing is accurate, bullets impacting exactly where I aim. I HATE it when my gun leaves no excuse for my poor aim! hehe

Trigger is smooth with an estimated (guesstimated!) 10 lb DA pull and a 3 lb SA pull.

In advance, thank you. Your time and efforts are appreciated.

Aggie

"CCW is like underwear, you wear it even if someone prefers you socially naked...especially if they do...it is never for your benefit that someone would ask you to disarm." - Oleg Volk
Old August 5, 2001, 05:56 PM   #2
Steven Mace

Aggie, I believe your Rossi revolver is a Model 971 Stainless which was imported to the USA from 1989-1998. The 971 stainless was only chambered in .357 Mag. and offered with a 2.5", 4" or 6" solid rib barrel with full shroud. The grips were rubber combat style. The rear sight is adjustable. This sounds like the handgun you've descibed. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old August 6, 2001, 08:19 AM   #3
Aggie

Thanks!

Thank you, Steve, for your help. Does the 971 conform to a *&* frame size, such as a K-frame, etc.?

Again, thanks for your assistance..............

"CCW is like underwear, you wear it even if someone prefers you socially naked...especially if they do...it is never for your benefit that someone would ask you to disarm." - Oleg Volk