The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2015, 02:08 PM   #1
Model12Win

Worn Latch on SxS?

Hello all!

So I have the opportunity to purchase a double-barrel side by side shotgun off one of the major auction sites, later in the week the auction will end. I will not divulge which shotgun this is.

However, while the gun is advertised as being in great shape and appears to look very fine in the pictures, I did notice one thing. I one of the pictures, it shots tho top of the gun and the barrel latch lever. It appears that the lever is almost straight, but maybe set just bit to the left. The barrels are closed in the picture.

After some reading, it appears that this latch is supposed to be more or less set off the the right somewhat. I've read that if it's centered, or kicked off to the left any, that the latch is worn and needs to be replaced. I sure wish I could post a picture, but I just can't risk losing the auction as this is one of my dream guns!

So can anyone help me? If I need to replace the lever, how much will that cost, and where can I take the gun to get the work done? I will say that the gun is a popular, discontinued "economy" type American made shotgun whose production ended in the very late 1980's. I don't think parts will be terribly hard to come by, but I could be wrong. I am willing to discuss which model this is via PM if anybody is so inclined, but wish to maintain confidentiality to avoid competition on bidding!

If you all could help me, that would be awesome! I love double barrel shotguns, and particularly am interested in this specimen, but if it's going to cost a mint to replace the latch or will be impossible to find a new latch, I'll probably pass on it... if the latch needs replaced at all, that is.

Thanks so much guys!!
Old November 15, 2015, 02:41 PM   #2
Blindstitch

If it's a Savage Fox then it's not a big deal changing the parts. I would check Numrich for parts availability.
Old November 15, 2015, 03:52 PM   #3
FITASC

Center isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but left of center will need attention. It has worn parts that need replacing. If it is the hinge pin, that is strictly a job for a real gunsmith who knows double guns and not some Glock parts changer.

You will also want to check and make sure the gun is not off the face; check for cracks in the wood near the action, etc.
If this is some cheap SxS, repairs might be more costly than the gun costs to buy.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 15, 2015, 06:07 PM   #4
Model12Win

Okay, I guess it's safe to ID the gun.

It's a Savage Stevens 311 Series H. I have sentimental value to this model shotgun, so am looking to get one.

Is it hard to find parts for these guns to replace a worn latch? Also, anyone have recommendations on where to send the gun to get it fixed? Thanks so much!
Old November 16, 2015, 05:39 PM   #5
Blindstitch

I don't know what makes the H model special but Numrich has a lot of parts. The top Snap itself is only $24 and is held in by a flathead screw pointing up from the inside. That's not to hard to replace but if it needs more work you will need a gunsmith to peen the locking surface.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...dFox-33479.htm
Old November 16, 2015, 10:12 PM   #6
FITASC

Of course, first finding out exactly what is wrong should be first and foremost before buying parts you may not need.....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa