The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

Tristar or Stevens O/U 28 gauge???

While I am no longer able to spend days afirld in search of feathered, or fur covered critters, and I don't do any formal clay shooting, I have rekindled my interest in smooth bores. The only one I have had until recently is a still like new Remington 1100 12 ga Magnum. But I have been finding a few examples of shotguns from my youth. From a Stevens 59a 410 bolt gun that is a duplicate of my first ever "all my own", to a Winchester Model 97 like my dad had over sixty years ago. I now have bolt actions, pumps, sise by side, and autoloaders in 410, 20, 16, and 12 gauge.
I have never had an O/U, but think they are kinda cool. Just always way out of my price range. Especially now with it being mostly a just for grins gun. I also have never had a 28 gauge, and think it would be a fun little shooter.
The top two candidates in my self imposed price range is the Stevens 555, or the Tristar Setter.
I think they are both made in Turkey, maybe even the same place. Just wondering what experience anybody has had with these two affordable O/U shotguns.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 15, 2015, 05:46 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Start doing a internet search for the two guns, there should be a lot of feedback on them.
Old September 15, 2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Creek Henry

I have shoulder a couple of 555s. They are light but well balanced. I thought about trading a gun for one but i am done with low end doubles for a while. They are fun to shoot but heartbreaking to use afield sometimes.
Old September 15, 2015, 06:47 PM   #4
FITASC

Cheap O/Us tend to cause more grief thas not. That said, look and see what CZ has from Turkey. I hope you also reload or are only going to shoot a few boxes a year as good 28 gauge ammo runs $10/box and up.

The 28 is a great bore size - perfect for quail and similar, and fun clays as well as serious hunting and clay prospects.

Take your time and try as many as you can.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 16, 2015, 03:35 AM   #5
eastbank

for a hunting gun or a sometime clays shooter they seem alright, but my own personal take from seeing them at the clay ranges is not too good. eastbank.
Old September 16, 2015, 10:22 AM   #6
TomADC

SKB 505 or 585 should be $1000-1200 not sure what your price range is?
Old September 16, 2015, 06:22 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

^^^
Ahbout half that! LOL
That's why I am looking at the lower priced guns made in Turkey. It's just a whim, and a just for grins gun, so $400-$600 range.
Old September 16, 2015, 07:53 PM   #8
FITASC

Won't be many grins if it's too cheap and breaks often though........maybe a nice used semi in 28 (just keep an eye on those empties)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 16, 2015, 09:13 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Won't be many grins if it's too cheap and breaks often though........maybe a nice used semi in 28
1. That's why I am asking.
2. I don't want an autoloader if that's what you mean by semi. Got 3, all be it all in 12 ga. Just getting the hankering for an O/U.
Old September 16, 2015, 09:30 PM   #10
FITASC

From Shotgun World about 4 years ago. A few names mentioned might have changed, but the basics are sound:

Quote:
I've got $0-$600 to spend
Look, I hear you. You want an Over/Under because that's what everybody has. Your options at this price point are limited. Understand what you are getting into and that you're not going to be the next Anthony Matarese with a CZ. There are some guns in this range that have better reputations (like the CZ and other Huglu branded guns). There are others with not-so-great reputations. Understand at this level that there is a greater likelihood that you're going to have problems. For somebody that shoots about 1000 rounds a year or less, you will probably get along OK with a CZ, Mossberg Silver Reserve, or a Yildiz (if you live in the Southeast near an Academy Sports).

For target shooting, I think there are much better options in this price range than an Over/Under. The Mossberg 930 series Semiautomatic is a great choice if you have to have something new. Another great new choice is the Beretta 390 that some big-box stores are selling right around $550. If you are confident in your gun-buying ability or you're just feeling lucky, a used Remington 1100, Browning Gold, Winchester SX2/3, or a Beretta 390/391 are all good choices for target guns.

I've got $600 - $800 to spend
We're into the range where careful shoppers can come out with a nice gun. If you are looking for something new, your first stop is CDNN Investments (http://www.cdnninvestments.com, download the latest catalog). CDNN is retailing a bunch of Lanber 2087 and 2097 shotguns in this range. Lanber guns are reliable and to me handle like a Browning. You can get them in nice target configurations with 30" barrels.

Another new option is the Savage Milano. While these guns are not in production anymore, they have been selling in the $800 range from places like Bass Pro. I don't expect these guns to be for sale much longer. I feel that the Savage Milano (A F.A.I.R. gun) feel most like a Beretta.

On the used gun market, you have more options. Typically in this range you will find older Browning/Beretta/SKB guns with either fixed chokes or short (26") barrels. At one time 26" barrels were all the rage in skeet, so it's not that they're bad, they're just not as desirable today as longer barrels.

I've got $800 - $1200 to spend
This is the sweet spot for bargain hunters. Most of your bargains in this range are going to come from people selling nicely equipped entry-level upper grade guns. Here you're going to start to see things like older Browning Citoris with 28" and 30" barrels. You will also start to see Beretta 68x with Mobilchoke barrels in this range. Another good gun in this range is a Franchi.

Every now and then something will show up in this range that the discriminating buyer will recognize as a deal. Nicely equipped guns like an LL Bean (by SigArms/B.Rizinni) or Weatherby guns (by SKB) will start showing up in this range. Most guns in this range are going to be 28" or 30" barrels.

If you are looking for new, you want to navigate over to CDNN. They have been closing out some Winchesters and Weatherby guns under $1000 with decent barrel lengths. Again, these guns are not current production, but what do you care?

I've got $1200 - $2000 to spend
This is the sweet spot for the target shooter that wants to start getting serious about his equipment but doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg to do it. Toward the bottom of this range ($1200 - $1500) you will be looking at former kings of competition; Browning 425/Ultra/GTi, Beretta 686/687/or a well used 682, and Modern SKBs. In the upper end of this range, you will find the more desirable barrel lengths and better wood.

Most guns in this range are going to be current production guns, but used.

Be educated in this range on what your options are. Some of the F.A.I.R. guns or the B.Riz guns that fall into this range are hidden gems.

If you are patient, you may even find a used Caesar Guerini in this range.

Most guns in this range are going to be 30" or 32" barrels.

Be patient, you will find what you are looking for on the used market. It helps to understand what the gun you are looking for sells for new.

Also, if you are looking for new guns, you should take a look at CDNN Investments again. They run specials on nicely equipped target guns that are closeouts from some of the bigger manufacturers. Recently they have had some very nice Browning Cynergys and 525s in the $1400- $1800 range. In fact, CDNN has some nice JP Saur Sohn branded Caesar Guerinis selling at $1800 or below.

I've got $2000 - $5000 to spend
You're getting serious about your shotgunning now. Here you will be looking at new guns with all the bells and whistles you are looking for. The big names in this range are Browning, Beretta, and Caesar Guerini.

A hidden gem in this range is the Zoli guns from Antonio Zoli.

Feel and fit is important in this range, because you're going to have this gun for a long time. If you are oddly shaped like me, a fitted gun may be in your future and you'll be able to find one in this range.

I've got over $5000 to spend
Dude, why are you asking me? If you're spending this kind of jack, you already know what you want. If you don't know what you want, stick with an off-the-rack gun until you know what you want.
By Jeff Hunter, aka Marist
Old September 17, 2015, 07:00 AM   #11
eastbank

cry when you buy,but laugh when it lasts. i have two 28ga,s and i load for them and they are fine shotguns, a rem 870(200.00 used) and a 1100 sporting(550.00 used). i do like the 20 ga,s as i can go to walmart and buy a box of 20 ga shells (7/8 oz 7.5# or 7/8 oz #8) for a five dollars if i don,t feel like reloading. i just bought a browning xs skeet 20ga and the best i,ve shot at trap so far is 23-25 and the worst 19-25, i hope to shoot a 25-25 very soon if the clays games gods smile or look the other way. eastbank.
Old October 13, 2015, 08:46 PM   #12
OkieCruffler

I bought a Yildez from Academy a while back. I've got 800+ afew rounds thru it so far, not a marathon by any stretch. But no issues so far. I've shot skeet mostly and a little sporting and 5 stand. It's a little lighter than I would like but it shoots where it's aimed and it shoots every time. Don't remember exactly but I know I paid right around $500 for it.
Old October 14, 2015, 12:28 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Well, enter a new candidate......The Mosberg Silver Reserve II. Another import from Turkey, and Gander Mountain shows them on line as being on sale for $589.99. Takeanother eighty bucks off for the points and gift certificates I have, and we're down to $500.
I was able to look at one they had in-store a couple weeks ago. Same gun, but at the regula rprice of $649.99. They will match the on-line price, or at least have on a couple previous purchases. Plus if they no longer have one in stock, they will order one in, with free shipping, and part of the sales tax is not charged.
From everything I have read they are quite nice for the price, and have had very few complaints.
Old October 15, 2015, 06:05 AM   #14
eastbank

if you roam gun shops-gun shows or the internet you can find real deals on older clay games shoguns in very good- ex condition for one half- one third of new cost. it take work. i bought a browning XS skeet 20ga, browning hard case with combo locks-9 invecta plus chokes in ex condition for less than one half of the new cost. i have been offered 400.00 more than i paid for it the first day i had it on the trap range by a follow shooter for his wife. at elysburg this year i did not see any of the mentioned shoguns on the line and i walked up and down the line for 2 hours. if you are happy with your shotgun, good for you. but if my brownings need service a browning repair gunsmith is only 43 miles away(after thousands and thousands of rounds my five o/u,s-two double barrels have only needed to be cleaned, no repairs or parts needed). eastbank.