The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old June 11, 2018, 11:58 PM   #1
wild cat mccane

Online store ripping me off -- help?

I know, wrong thread and not our problem.

But I'm a contributor and I need help.

I made a purchase with https://www.fwtguns.com/. I immediately cancelled the order May 7th with well wishes email back from FWT.

Nothing.

May 31st I receive this email (below--it's not true, don't feel false anger over the anti gun message). I look it up online, and I'm not the only one that doesn't get refunded. FWT is refusing to contact me now, more than a month after the cancelled order.

Unfortunately I hosed myself by using a new HSBC credit card. HSBC is totally refusing to help me with the dispute. They keep sending me email addresses to send the below documentation of the refund but all the address bounce their server.

What is a guy to do? What can a person do to a firearm company? Contact ATF?

"
Hello,
I am reaching out to let you know that today we tried processing a refund for your order with us, and the transaction was declined.
There has been a very big push on the Credit Card processors to not do business with companies who sell firearms, and they are not allowing us to process refunds at this time.
This has caused a huge problem for us as well as our valued customers, and we apologize for the inconvenience. Since we are unable to process the refunds through the Credit Card processer we kindly ask that your credit card company cancels this transaction for your order. We know that this could negatively affect our company, but unfortunately our hands are tied.

We are so very sorry
Thank you for your understanding.
We hope that you have a wonderful day

-God Bless-
"

Last edited by wild cat mccane; June 12, 2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old June 12, 2018, 12:48 AM   #2
HiBC

I'm not a banker or a lawyer.I can't give you "The answer"

If I understand correctly,you placed an order,to a firearm business,with a new credit card.The money went out of your account to the firearm company.

Then you canceled the order.

The firearm company tried to refund your money,but the credit card company refuses to do business with the firearm company.

The firearm company would like to refund,but they can't at this point.

Is that correct?

If the firearm company is willing to refund,they just lack the means,they aren't the problem. A friendly,civil phone call might be the answer.
In the Old Days,we wrote checks and sent them snail mail.
PayPal can transfer money. So can Western Union.

So long as there is a will,there is a way.You might review FWT's FAQ's.

The CC company...I guess you could go to your bank and ask for a meeting with a manager. Face to face sometimes works. They DID let the money go out.

Last edited by HiBC; June 12, 2018 at 01:10 AM.
Old June 12, 2018, 03:05 AM   #3
Hal

Quote:
You might review FWT's FAQ's
That right there....
I just looked at them myself &,,well,,all I can say is....I hope you didn't need the money for something like rent or a car payment or something like that.

Those FAQ's would make me real leery about spending money with FWT..

Last edited by Hal; June 12, 2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old June 12, 2018, 05:12 AM   #4
1stmar

Maybe cut your losses and have them fulfill the order then sell it on gunbroker.

Those faqs are telling.
Old June 12, 2018, 06:08 AM   #5
kymasabe

Or....If they your money, fulfil the order, get the gun, sell it locally, privately, maybe take small loss but it's over.
Old June 12, 2018, 06:37 AM   #6
wild cat mccane

HSBC said they did not receive an refund request as FWT said they requested. FWT is the problem. HSBC tried contacting FWT with no result. FWT isn't telling the truth because all purchases through their external credit processing system wouldn't work and they wouldn't be in business. Couple this with it's been over a month and only one email from FWT.

HSBC keeps sending me different emails to send this email to them because they haven't received any word from FWT on this being an inaccurate charge. For disputing a charge, HSBC is terrible. In a written email I was told to send the FWT email stating they couldn't refund to "[email protected]" which bounces back as deliverable in outlook and gmail.

I would be leery of intentionally buying something just to purposefully resell it without an intent to keep it. Plus, I can't get contact from FWT to even have this be an option. It would just be another charge I'd be responsible with HSBC to pay.

I've purchase every gun I own online. This is an absolute first. FWT doesn't answer their phone or respond to my emails.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; June 12, 2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old June 12, 2018, 03:27 PM   #7
Sharkbite

Quote:
If you have to put anything on a credit card...you cant afford it..
Thats total BS. I carry a couple CC’s with me all the time. Use em and pay em off that billing cycle. Get some that earn points or miles and pay em off. Reap the rewards of al the people that max em out and only make min payments.

Im all for paying cash for stuff. Paid cash for the last 5 cars, paid cash for my house. Hard to pay cash online for stuff. The cc’s are only a trap if YOU let them be
Old June 12, 2018, 04:21 PM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
Like I said.... If you have to put anything on a credit card...you cant afford it...
It's amazing how many people don't understand how a credit card works.

In addition to the ability to dispute charges (exactly what HBSC claims they are trying to do in this case ) a credit card is usually the most secure way to buy online (far safer than using a bank-issued debit card). If you pay off before the billing cycle, you aren't paying any additional interest, and depending on your card, you may be earning points or miles.
Old June 12, 2018, 05:25 PM   #9
Evan Thomas

It's a pity that no one bothers to read the Feedback Forum rules any more.
Quote:
Namecalling and unacceptable language must be avoided in Retail Deals & Feedback just as in any other part of TFL.

If you are not involved in a dispute then DO NOT INVOLVE YOURSELF!
Please feel free to add your experience to a thread if you see feedback for a member or business that you have personally done business with. IF NOT, LEAVE IT ALONE! FIRST TIME VIOLATION WILL RESULT IN A 7 DAY BAN.
Consequences are on the way, for some more than others.