The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 18, 2017, 09:13 AM   #1
g.willikers

Anyone need an inexpensive single shot shotgun?

Stevens, the less expensive division of Savage, has a low priced ($180) single shot shotgun in the usual gauges.
Sounds like a great choice for that first shotgun or a lightweight hunting gun.
Not all that much joy to shoot, but great for carrying all day.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...CENSORED-=0717
Old July 18, 2017, 09:36 PM   #2
TxGun

I heard about those. Seems like there would always be a reliable niche market for singles. Obviously just the old H&R design under another name. I suspect the street price will be in the $140-$150 range. Walmart had the H&Rs for +/-$130 just a few years ago.
Old July 18, 2017, 11:36 PM   #3
Model12Win

You can find good condition H&R pardners for $100 all over the country in gun shops and pawn shops.

Without getting political/religious, I don't like to support Turkey.
Old July 19, 2017, 12:55 AM   #4
kozak6

Well, then you're in luck! The 301 is made in China .
Old July 19, 2017, 08:19 AM   #5
lamarw

I agree with Model12Win. There are plenty used shotguns on the market in the places he mentioned. I have a half dozen in my gun case acquired over the last few years from $40.00 up to $250.00. Most are pump action. The last one, an older Remington 870 Wingmaster, was purchased a couple of months ago for $220.00.

There is not much that can go wrong with a single shot or pump action shotgun.
Old July 19, 2017, 04:17 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I'm for light weight toting scatterguns.
My favorite hunting pals. Just a three-some of old Iver Johnsons single shots. One is a 12 ga. 2-3/4s the other is a 410 3-inch and the third I inherited {28 ga. thats a safe queen}. I had the 410s chamber reamed >lengthened so to shot 3"

If a special occasion arises and calls for a modern 2 shot scatter-gun. Have a Citori Lighting 20 ga. for that purpose also..

http://www.browning.com/products/fir...lightning.html
Old July 24, 2017, 01:16 AM   #7
bamaranger

need

Any well run country place, farm, woodsy cabin, lodge or ranch, can likely find good use for single barrel. I've heard such old guns called barn guns, truck guns, etc. Mine's beside the water heater.
Old July 24, 2017, 02:23 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

I picked up an old H&R 1905 small frame in .410 for $105 a little while back.
A few days later, a .44 Shot barrel was on its way to me for $50 (black powder and smokeless powder father of the .410).
And, just a couple days later, I traded a crappy Cobra derringer for an H&R Topper 58 in .30-30 at an agreed value of $65 ... in a gun shop ... with a scope and bi-pod on the H&R!

Almost no one wants single-shots now, unless they are in one of the "exposed hammer, single-shot" primitive weapon hunting states (and it's a rifle in .35 Whelen or .444 Marlin).

Savage is trying to corner a market that's already dead.
The only people still buying single-shot shotguns are people stuck in the past, the few remaining souls that appreciate a single-shot, and the people that are incredibly, stubbornly cheap, but refuse to buy a used gun.

That being said...
I need another 20 ga.
I may have a look at them.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; July 24, 2017 at 02:31 AM.
Old July 24, 2017, 05:42 PM   #9
Model12Win

You can probably look on YouTube for videos about this gun.
Old July 24, 2017, 06:06 PM   #10
godale

Very interested in a 410

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 24, 2017, 06:28 PM   #11
osbornk

Where I live in the remote mountains, single shot shotguns are sitting in closets with no demand for them. They last forever since they are not shot much and are used only for hunting and varmints. I recently sold 2 for $50 each because I'd had them for decades and never shot them because I have two pump shotguns. I agree that they are making a gun where there is very little market for them.
Old July 24, 2017, 06:40 PM   #12
FITASC

Especially when you can get a new Maverick for ~$189...............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 24, 2017, 07:54 PM   #13
godale

Well actually they are not cornering anything , Henry came out with some earlier in the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 10, 2017, 06:57 PM   #14
jstert

Anyone need an inexpensive single shot shotgun?

i like the simple honesty of a single h&r/nef. my under the bed, bump in the night single is a 20ga, 20" that i found last year at a pawn shop for $120. when i cleaned it up i literally found hay under the forearm. singles can be run fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jstert; August 10, 2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old August 10, 2017, 08:28 PM   #15
B.L.E.

Quote:
Almost no one wants single-shots now, unless they are in one of the "exposed hammer, single-shot" primitive weapon hunting states
Trap shooters might beg to differ with their single shots priced in the 4 digit range.
Old August 10, 2017, 09:21 PM   #16
RMcL

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers View Post
Stevens, the less expensive division of Savage, has a low priced ($180) single shot shotgun in the usual gauges.
Sounds like a great choice for that first shotgun or a lightweight hunting gun.
Not all that much joy to shoot, but great for carrying all day.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...CENSORED-=0717
The new Savage single is set up for invector choke tubes
Old August 11, 2017, 06:27 AM   #17
jaguarxk120

I think the days of the $100 single shot are long, what I see at gun shows

start at $150.
Old August 11, 2017, 07:37 PM   #18
FITASC

Quote:
Trap shooters might beg to differ with their single shots priced in the 5 digit range.
Fixed that for ya...............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 11, 2017, 07:53 PM   #19
osbornk

Quote:
I think the days of the $100 single shot are long, what I see at gun shows

start at $150.
Gun shows are for the uninformed. I recently sold a 20 an 16 gauge for $50 each here in the mountains after finding no takers at $75. They were decent and shot well.
Old August 11, 2017, 09:08 PM   #20
B.L.E.

Quote:
Trap shooters might beg to differ with their single shots priced in the 5 digit range.
Quote:
Fixed that for ya...............
Almost makes a man ashamed to put a lowly Browning BT-99 up on the gun rack in the midst of all the Perazzis, Krieghoffs, Ljutics and Zolis. I feel like I want to cover it up or something, pretend it's not mine.
Old August 11, 2017, 10:26 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Almost makes a man ashamed to put a lowly Browning BT-99 up on the gun rack in the midst of all the Perazzis, Krieghoffs, Ljutics and Zolis. I feel like I want to cover it up or something, pretend it's not mine.
Nah.
If it works, it works.
There's no shame in performance.

I'm not a shotgunner, so I have no stories there. But I do have a recent one with a rifle:

I was proudly flying the FrankenMarlin flag a few weeks back, when I took the relatively-untested Glenfield/Marlin/Remlin .307 Win project out for a test drive.
It is comprised of parts from two Glenfield Model 30As, at least four JM Marlin 336s, at least two REP Marlin 336s, at least one 1895 (probably REP), and possibly a Model 444 (or two).

I dialed it in and got less than 1 MoA at 100 yards with five rounds of factory Winchester ammo.

There were three rounds left to fire, so the box would have an even 10 left in it. I pulled a bit high on the 380 yard steel gong.
Bang. - Clang.
Bang. - Clang.
Bang. - Clang.
*Happy dance*

The guys in a bay close by had been trying to dial in their new-looking hunting rifles for the upcoming seasons, and came over to see how I was already done and ringing steel with this crappy-looking levergun while they were still chasing their own tails.
One of them asked what "that cowboy gun" was.
I answered, "It's basically a Marlin 336, built from hand-fitted spare parts, using a barrel that was free because it was slightly screwed up while being reamed from .30-30 to .307 Winchester."

After some discussion about the rifle and what .307 Winchester was, one of them quipped, "He's got a Tasco strapped to $50 worth of used parts, and you can't hit a target with a $1,200 scope on a brand new rifle!"

(At the time of testing, it actually had more tape on it, as well as a beat-to-hell Tasco Pronghorn 4x from the '70s or '80s.)
Old August 12, 2017, 06:59 AM   #22
B.L.E.

Yep, there I am shooting registered trap with a BT-99 single shot trap gun costing in the LOW four digits, and I don't wear a shooting vest or red tinted shooting glasses with horse-blinders on them either. That's like playing golf in blue jeans instead of wearing clothes that would embarrass a Las Vegas pimp.

However, I learned early on in this sport, especially at some of the big zone shoots, you better get used to being beaten by girls shooting semi-autos.

Last edited by B.L.E.; August 12, 2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old August 28, 2017, 06:38 PM   #23
Auto5

I picked up a very nice 20 ga. Winchester mod 37 (Canadian) for $85.00 last year for my grandson.
Old September 1, 2017, 11:27 AM   #24
ocharry

dang Frank,,,that is a nice rifle you put together out of the junk pile,,,,lol

i wish my junk pile had such parts

ocharry
Old September 5, 2017, 06:54 PM   #25
Siggy-06

I decided to order one in .410 with the 22 inch barrel. Neat little single shot under 5 pounds that's easy to take down. Should have it at my ffl in a few days.