The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 5, 2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Tallest

Ruger American Predator 223 - New Model - First Impressions

I recently picked up a new model Ruger American Predator 223. It’s the 26944 model that uses the AR style magazines. Also with the newer model, Ruger has done away with the proprietary weaver/picatinny rail that had the odd spacing/size which limited some single piece scope mounts.

A couple positive first impressions. Owning a Ruger American in 7mm-08 that needed some stock work, the first thing I did was look at the fore end to see if there was contact between the pretty green plastic and the barrel. None! Both sides were evenly spaced off the barrel, and a dollar bill traveled easily up to the receiver. I also attached a Harris bipod and positioned the rifle for a shot to check and see if it cause the stock to flex and make contact. I did flex a hair, but never made contact with the barrel. So I assume Ruger did something to give a little more rigidity to the front end, and it worked. I consider that a great improvement considering the price didn’t go up.

It came with one magpul 10 rnd mag which is handled by the same hardware you would find on an AR. There’s plenty of room around it, which allows a little movement on the axis of the retention point. But this didn’t cause any accidental mag drops or any issues cycling.

I put a Nikon P223 Scope on it with the single piece Nikon rings that I had on my AR. It’s a little high, for a bolt action, but I’m tall, and have a tall head, so it works to get things started.

Despite the wind, I was able to take it out Saturday and get it zeroed and groundhog/coyote capable. I ran about 50 rounds of Federal American Eagle 55grain FMJBTs through it, then fine-tuned the last 10 with some Hornady 55 grn VMax. Eventually I'll snag some dies and work up a load with some ballistic silver-tips (but that will be a post for a different day). The target picture is the first 4 shots at 100 yds after I mounted and bore-sited the scope. To be fair, the scope stayed in the rings and the alignment from the AR was very helpful in a quick bore-site on the Ruger. I was plenty pleased with what this gun will do under less than range grade circumstances. After I was pleased with the paper at 100 yds, I shot a 6” gong at 200 yds. and 300 yds. I hit the 200 yd 10 for 10 (which at my level of shooting, is a great feeling). It was a windy day, and I’m still learning to overcome wind, especially with lighter bullets, so I hit the 300 yd target just 4 for 10. But I’ll keep at it.

The long and short of it is that I’m really pleased with this rifle, and I really feel like Ruger is onto something with their American. I would buy a couple more in a heart-beat to have them on hand. I think the 6.5 Grendel in the same model will be the next bolt gun purchase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAP223 218.jpg (15.1 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 223 TFL 3.jpg (34.0 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg 223 TFL 4.jpg (43.8 KB, 148 views)

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old February 5, 2018, 01:04 PM   #2
jmr40

I'm very impressed with the Americans, especially the Predators. I have 2 Predators, 308, 6.5 Creedmoor and a Compact in 223. I'm hoping I can upgrade to the newer stocks that take the AI and AR mags. If not I just may have to buy another rifle soon.

With better ammo and ideal shooting conditions I'm betting you can do even better.

Winston Churchill
Old February 6, 2018, 10:23 AM   #3
Tallest

Quote:
I'm hoping I can upgrade to the newer stocks that take the AI and AR mags. If not I just may have to buy another rifle soon.
Agreed! I really like the standard American I have, and I may upgrade the stock sometime in the future. But the AR style magazine system is a big improvement over the plastic rotary mags!

Quote:
With better ammo and ideal shooting conditions I'm betting you can do even better.
I think so to! The only problem now is patience until the opportunity presents itself!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old February 6, 2018, 01:29 PM   #4
houser52

Thanks for the review. It looks like the majority of the reviews that I've seen have been positive. That's one reason I've been wanting one for awhile.

I went to the gun show this weekend with hopes of trading a NEF Heavy Barrel 223, that's taking up room in the safe, toward a 243 Predator. There were 2-3 dealers that had the Predator but I think they were the old style and all were priced less than $400.

None wanted to do any trading so I brought the NEF back home.

GOA Member