The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 25, 2013, 03:13 PM   #1
LockedBreech

Does anyone else enjoy collecting more than shooting?

I almost feel like ducking even writing that question, but I wonder if anyone is like me in this respect. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love to shoot. I have spent my entire life doing it and never intend to stop.

When I really think about why I pour so much money into firearms, though, I have to admit I get more joy out of maintaining my firearms, examining them, learning about them, and understanding each tiny part of them and how they work than I do from shooting. In a sense, my firearms collection is a lot like a collection of model ships. I'm interested in the most minute details of material and operation. When I clean my firearms post-shooting or after a few months of idle shelf-sitting, I use a massive amount of scrap cloth and Q-tips until I can't pull a single smudge off any part of the gun. This O.C.D. approach may explain why I have never had a failure in any of my weapons that was not clearly and definitely caused by the shooter or brand-X ammo.

So, for you, is the passion collecting, or are they boring until you get to go to the range? Somewhere in between?

Edit: Please note that when I say "collect", I do not mean it as it is interpreted by many - that the guns will not be shot. I shoot every firearm I own and will shoot every one I own in the future. By "collect", I mean just enjoying having a nice collection of guns to play around with, not collect for value appreciation or artistic/museum purposes. Life is too short not to shoot a nice gun.

Last edited by LockedBreech; June 28, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old June 25, 2013, 04:47 PM   #2
g.willikers

I, too, enjoy figuring out how they work, as much as shooting them.
Of all the human accomplishments, firearms provide one of the best examples of human inventiveness.
Think of all the different ways people have come up with to do essentially the same thing - sending a projectile toward a target.
Plumb amazing.
Old June 25, 2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Bluestarlizzard

I'm more like a magpie hoarding shiney objects then a collector. I love shooting, but I also just love having all my "pretties" that go bang.

My dads more like a woman with a closet full of shoes. He has to have a diffrent gun for every occasion and to match every outfit, as it where.

The more, the merrier.

We get a kick out of the variations. In addition to the historical intrest of all the innovations along the way, there is also the varity of diffrent ways. Firearm development doesn't just go from one leap to the next, you've got branches and splits and some really cool dead ends as well.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:03 PM   #4
SIGSHR

Almost all my milsurps and most of my others are safe queens, the champion being my M1898 Krag, bought in the 1972. I bought them to have, when I want to shoot, a 22 does nicely lately. I know a woman who collects sewing machines, doesn't sew that much, people who collect old radios and TVs can't tune in 1935 or 1954 but they can have a piece of history. People buy works of art just to look at, the same with coins or stamps.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:25 PM   #5
David13

I think it's wrong. I don't want to say immoral or unethical. But wrong.
I think it should always be a living collection, so to speak.
If you collect cars, they should run, and drive, at least a little bit.
If you collect motorcycles, they should run, and be ridden, at least a little.
And with guns, they should shoot, maybe only 2 shots a year, if they can. Unless they are just too old, or too delicate or in too poor of a condition to shoot at all.
But I'm not a collector. I'm a driver, a rider, and a shooter.
dc
Old June 25, 2013, 08:31 PM   #6
Bluestarlizzard

Quote:
And with guns, they should shoot, maybe only 2 shots a year, if they can. Unless they are just too old, or too delicate or in too poor of a condition to shoot at all.
But I'm not a collector. I'm a driver, a rider, and a shooter
Whatever floats you're boat is my rule of thumb.

I don't see how it's wrong for people to do (or not do, as the case maybe) whatever they want with their stuff.
I don't have safe queens or collectibles because I don't want them, and, to be honest, doubt I could resist the temptation.
But I think the real collectors are a positive to our community as they are the ones preserving that history for generations to come. It takes disapline and a lot of knowledge to be a collector, which benifits all of us.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:35 PM   #7
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by David13
But I'm not a collector. I'm a driver, a rider, and a shooter.
That is a good point, and it leads me to clarify. I do not keep safe queens. I shoot everything I own. My Colt Detective Special is a carry pistol. If I ever own a $2000+ 1911 I will carry it.

So I guess in that sense I'm less a "pure" collector than I thought.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm a user of whatever I decide to "collect," be it fountain pens or firearms. I'm a truly rotten "collector." It's not for me to say how or why someone else should keep those things, though,

If you are a better collector than I, then collect and enjoy in good health.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:37 PM   #9
kutz

David13 got it right!
Old June 25, 2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Daggitt

I am not much on unfired guns. However if no one saved them unfired there would be no mint condition pythons or colts etc.
Old June 25, 2013, 10:41 PM   #11
myusername

I shoot most of mine. A couple I've just never gotten around to. Like my 2nd AR has never been shot. It's either an EOW backup or maybe for resale in the next panic.

90% of my shooting centers around about 6 guns. My 3 EDC rotation, I put a couple of mags through each month. My GSG .22 - gosh that's a fun gun! My 1911 Gold Cup, love to shoot it. And my AK - there's just something about bump firing an AK to put a smile on everyone's face.
Old June 26, 2013, 10:23 PM   #12
Stevie-Ray

It's a good thing I like having guns. Because I've been in a shooting drought for far too long, even my SD guns. Just haven't had the time.

I do love shooting, though.
Old June 26, 2013, 11:23 PM   #13
JWT

I enjoy 'collecting' guns as much as I do shooting them. I also enjoy disassembling the and cleaning them after I return from the range.
Old June 27, 2013, 12:03 AM   #14
jag2

Collecting, shooting, reloading. Kind of hard to separate the three. Total is over 50 now and there are only two that have not and will not be shot. Some get shot more than others but I always take 3 or 4 to the range every week. Usually shoot pistols but take a couple of rifles along in case the pistol range is crowded.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:09 AM   #15
FoghornLeghorn

I've got several firearms I've never shot, so, I'd have to say yes.

Some day though, I'll retire to a sprawling ranch and will shoot from sun up to sun down, and ...........
Old June 27, 2013, 04:36 PM   #16
Skans

Quote:
I have to admit I get more joy out of maintaining my firearms, examining them, learning about them, and understanding each tiny part of them and how they work than I do from shooting. In a sense, my firearms collection is a lot like a collection of model ships. I'm interested in the most minute details of material and operation
I fit that description. Yes, I like shooting, but I only shoot about 25% of the guns I own. The others I purchased because there was something unique and irresistible about them. I have disassembled all of my firearms with a notable few exceptions:

2 Pythons - nothing good is going to come from me taking those beauties apart
Detonics Pocket 9 - I've tried, and tried and tried - still trying to get it apart
Beretta Gold Pigeon O/U - leave this one to the experts

The most difficult gun I ever took apart, and eventually got back together again, was an old H&R .32 Selfloader.
I love uniquely designed firearms.
Old June 27, 2013, 04:57 PM   #17
AL45

Personally, I would rather own 1 gun that I can shoot often, than 10 guns that I never shoot. Actually I feel that way about everything. If I'm not going to use it, I don't want it.
Old June 27, 2013, 05:20 PM   #18
Jo6pak

I used to collect just for the sake of having a collection.
At one time It was trying to get all Swedish Mausers, (I had 4 at one time)
Then it was acquiring all general US service rifles since 1900. (just needed a M1903.)
Then it was having one of each type of action.....

I got to be way too much money in the safe that wasn't doing anything except collecting dust.

In the past few years I have sold many of the "collection guns" in an effort to keep only what I actually use and shoot, or that have a significant meaning to me.
Old June 27, 2013, 05:47 PM   #19
TheNatureBoy

Not into collecting firearms. If I purchase one it will be used.
Old June 28, 2013, 11:05 AM   #20
LockedBreech

I feel like I should edit my OP to clarify that "collect" does not mean "not shoot". I don't believe in safe queens either.
Old June 28, 2013, 11:52 AM   #21
Clark

When I was a kid I went hunting every day with a BB gun.

Now I am an old man, and I go to the gun show every month and buy old guns.

I go to the range every 3 months.

I go hunting once a year and shoot a deer.

But what I really do a lot of is reading gun forums... a couple hours per day.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 28, 2013, 12:47 PM   #22
SHE3PDOG

I may actually enjoy collecting more than I like shooting. I'm especially fond of milsurp. That being said, I shoot all my guns. I only own one gun that I have yet to shoot, but that's only because I haven't had the chance.

Anyways, I really like learning about the inner working of different types of firearms in general. The history of particular guns, especially milsurp, is also quite enticing to me.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old June 28, 2013, 08:50 PM   #23
colbad

You are not alone my friend. I too "collect" in a similar way. My life if pretty hectic and I do not have the time I would like to shoot all my guns. However, when I come across something interesting I add it to my collection, to be shot at a later date. I know I have at least a half dozen in the safe right now waiting to be shot. Bought a new SS Ruger Single Six today because it was a good deal and I have recently gotten interested in SA revolvers. Need to shoot that one soo

Sometimes just cleaning and polishing with a beer is a great way for me just to shut off my mind for a while......unless I forget how it goes back together
Old June 28, 2013, 09:50 PM   #24
ranchito457

Collecting is my second favorite hobby right behind shooting and just a tad ahead of reloading,but I do follow one rule nothing goes in my collection if it isnt gonna get shot.Doesnt have to come out the safe every trip but it does need to make a trip to the club every once in a while.I also follow one other rule once its in-its in to stay.
Old June 29, 2013, 10:32 AM   #25
Pahoo

Shooter and Collector, mostly

I'm sure, somewhere it is written that a gun owner, goes through different phases along this "Great Adventure". ....
In my youth, I started out as a hunter and guns that fit those requirements. Now, most of what I shoot are M/L's and collect them as well. A fun time at the range, is shooting one of my SideLocks. .....

You Have;

Hunters; They usually don't collect.
Shooters; They usually don't hunt.
Collectors; They usually don't hunt or shoot.
Sellers; They usually don't collect, hunt or shoot, only make a profit!!

I guess, to varying degrees, I'm a little of all the above. ...

Be Safe !!!