The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 4, 2001, 05:17 PM   #1
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Rusty Sherrick lives about 15 minutes from my home in Lancaster County. I first met Rusy at Trop Gun Shop's open house. He had a table displaying many of his holsters. Prior to that first meeting, I had bought a pancake holster for a Colt LW Commander.

After talking to Rusty, I found out all his holsters are made out of horsehide. They're very soft yet will not collapse. The speed on the draw was unbelievable! With the slickness of horsehide, it was almost as quick as Kydex.

His holsters quickly became my choice for IWB carry. For OWB, I still use Lou Alessi's CQC/S. In the near future, I'm going to purchase the Tom Givens Model for OWB carry. For IDPA, I've used both Lou's and Rusty's holsters. Both work extremely well for competition shooting.

In addition, I found out that Tom Givens at Range Master has been wearing one of Rusty's holsters. Ken Knull is another big support of Rusty's products. The list goes on and on but you really don't care about that do ya? You just wonder what his holsters look like and cost! Read on...

Finally, why do I bother writing a review for this leather guru? There are plenty of good holster makers out on the market. I write this review simply because Rusy makes some outstanding holsters and belts ABD is one hell of a nice guy.

Rusty's web site is http://www.c-rusty.com/ . Along with the other fine leather gurus around (Alessi, Kramer, Rosen, the Marks, Sparks, etc), don't forget Rusty and his horsehide holsters. His shop maybe small but his goods are outstanding. The holsters range anywhere from $75 up to several hundred dollars depending on how custom you want them. Typically, his holsters average around the $75-100 price range.

fwiw
Son

Mag holder is by Rosen. Both holsters are IWB but one is a straight drop and the other is canted. The gun is my Les Baer 1911 and knife is an Emerson CQC-7.

MOLON LABE!!!

[Edited by ArmySon on 02-05-2001 at 09:42 PM]
Old February 4, 2001, 07:12 PM   #2
JohnO

I like the Bible. Nice touch!
Old February 5, 2001, 01:21 AM   #3
Advanced Glock Armorer

Rusty a stand up guy and a hell of a leathersmith

I was first introduced to Rusty at the N.T.I. and have had several dealing with him since. Rusty is one of the few leathersmiths in the business who is willing to listen to his customers and build what they want. He is *** extremely talented, cost conscious and has rapid turn around time.

Rusty is definetly on the cutting edge and deals alot with Federal & Municipal Law Enforcement Officers.
I highly recommend him.

Jimmy Ward
Old February 11, 2001, 06:11 PM   #4
Staff
Staff

I just found out this week that Rusty Sherrick now produces a very good leather conditioner. It's called Hyde Glyde. The stuff is water based so it soaks into the leather very nicely. Most people have tried Leather Lightening made by Mitch Rosen. However, Rosen's LL is silicone based. In other words, it's like applying vasoline on your holster.

The best part is the price! Leather Lightening costs $10 for a 1/2 oz bottle. Hyde Glyde costs around $8 for a 4 oz bottle! I bought a bottle and tried it on my old holsters. It works exceptionally well.

BTW
I neither work for or associated with Sherrick Custom Leather Works. I just really like his products.
Old February 11, 2001, 06:12 PM   #5
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

OPPS! I forgot to log out as Staff when I made that post.
Old February 13, 2001, 07:56 PM   #6
ShooterJD

Sherrick leather

I just received my gear from Rusty.Outstanding is a good description of his work. I got the Rangemaster model holster, double mag pouch and a belt.Delivery was just what he told me when I ordered 4 weeks, can't beat that compared to most others.All of his gear is made from horsehide which is much thinner and stiffer than cowhide.The draw from this holster is extremely quick partly due to the front cutout design.I will be using the rig for IDPA matches. Can't wait to try it out. I highly recommend Sherrick leather products.ShooterJD