The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 20, 2001, 04:48 PM   #1
GunFreak

Info on newly aqcuired .357 python

I just recently purchased my first revolver, a royal blue Colt Python .357 Magnum. It has a 6" vent rib barrell, adjustable rear sight, checkered wood grips, a grooved trigger and the hammer is grooved (or textured) as well. The writing on the barrell and the "colt" behind the cylinder are enlayed with a gold fill. The serial # is 453XXE with "H" beneath the serial #. It is in very good condition. My questions are: Is this just a regular Python (I don't remember noticing the gold filled lettering on others I have seen)? And, is there anyway to find out how old the gun is without sending Colt $100 and waiting 3 months.

Thanks for any help

John
Old December 20, 2001, 06:16 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

No. 453xxE would have been made in 1976.

I don't recall any gold fill on Pythons from the factory; I suspect it is the work of a previous owner. It sounds like a standard Python.

Jim
Old December 20, 2001, 06:24 PM   #3
GunFreak

Jim - So the gold fill is either from the Colt custom shop or the previous owner sent it somewhere to have gold fill? Do you know if Colt would be able to tell what guns went through their custom shop? Does that increase the value of the gun?

Thanks
Old December 20, 2001, 11:52 PM   #4
BADSBSNF81

There are kits out there that allow you to fill in bbl markings, etc it gold and silver. It's an easy process with powder and a seaer to keep it in. and I've done it a few times. If, what you are talking about is gold wire that was inlaid, that's a different story and can cost a few bucks. AFAIK, only a Colt letter will tell you if it was a special order.