The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2001, 12:24 PM   #1
imq707s

I've been making some loads for my 7mm Rem Mag with 64gr. of H-4831 powder and 139gr. Hornady SST bullets. I started with a group of 20 new cases and I'm now on my 5th re-loading for the same 20. The primer pockets are not loose,there is no visible signs of any kind of problems with the cases. Should I call it quits with these 20 7mm RM cases and start a new batch, or are these good for a few more reloadings? Thanks.
Old April 10, 2001, 02:08 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

Inspect the cases for stress marks. You may also strighten out a paper clip, insert it into the case and scrape the inside of the case wall searching for an indentation above the case head that could indicate an imminent case head seperation. Other than that, keep using them. I very seldom throw brass away from too many firings. Usually it just gets stomped on or otherwise lost or damaged first!
Old April 10, 2001, 03:15 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

concur with Poodleshooter.

It wouldn't hurt to measure the length of the brass, and trim if necessary. (And re-chamfer)

Art
Old April 11, 2001, 07:50 AM   #4
TZEAZAS

Brass Life

Concur with Poodleshooter and Art. I have gotten over 40 Reloads on some Brass.
I would think that if you understood what communism was you would hope, you would pray on your knees, that we would someday become communists. - Jane Fonda, speaking to a student audience at Michigan State University; as quoted in the Detroit Free Press of November 22, 1970.
Old April 11, 2001, 10:40 AM   #5
Mikul

My Lee manual recommends tossing the brass after the 8th firing.
Old April 11, 2001, 12:21 PM   #6
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Unless they have been fired with very warm loads there is no reason to toss em after 8 firings. Inspect,and if they look good, trim if needed, load and shoot them.
Old April 11, 2001, 12:50 PM   #7
Cheapo

Annealing the case neck/shoulder area may be in order, and would increase your case life if all other factors are favorable for continued use.

The fabled "dull red in a dim room" rule results in using far more heat than needed or even wise (over-anneals 'em). Molten lead is just the right temperature--hold them mid-case, dunk in to just immerse the entire neck, and remove them just as your fingers get uncomfortably warm from the heat transfer.

Otherwise, get a hold of one of those heat crayons in the 750 degree F range.

NEVER anneal case heads. Soft brass in that area has been documented to let go in Mauser actions, with predictably disastrous results directed towards the rear.