The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2017, 04:13 PM   #26
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I bought some 135 grain Gold Dot short barrel bullets recently.
Hmm, I've only been looking for this bullet for about five years now - no luck. I have purchased (and extensively chronographed) loaded ammo with this bullet - in 38+P and 357 Mag.

Quote:
How are you liking Power Pistol in 357?
Speaking for myself: a lot. A touch flashy; but potent stuff. Makes bullets go fast.

Quote:
Burn clean?
I think so. At least, how I've loaded with it; which is pumped up pretty good - where it belongs.

Quote:
Magnum primers?
Not necessary; as it ignites easily.

Quote:
Meter well?
Identical to Bullseye (looks identical too); so, pretty good.

Quote:
Sure looks like a winner on paper.
Makes bullets go fast. Yes, it's good stuff.
Old April 3, 2017, 12:42 AM   #27
Hammerhead

Quote:
Hmm, I've only been looking for this bullet for about five years now - no luck. I have purchased (and extensively chronographed) loaded ammo with this bullet - in 38+P and 357 Mag.
They were at Midway a few months ago. They're due back in stock in this week.
Old April 3, 2017, 10:02 AM   #28
Real Gun

Quote:
light or heavy bullets for 2" .357 SD revolver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying to develop some SD loads for a light weight .357 snub-nose revolver. True .357 loads are just too brutal to shoot and +P are not powerful enough. Have tried 125 gr. @ 1050-1070 fps and 158 gr.@920 fps. The 125 gr. load developed more energy but less TKO than the 158 gr. load with less ft. lbs. but higher TKO rating.I figure in the TKO (Taylor Knock Out values) because I don't think lbs. of energy are the only measure to be considered when comparing loads, IE: a 55 gr .223 load has more energy than a 240 gr. .44 magnum load. Would rather have the .44 mag load for short range self-defense.
Anybody out there have any thoughts on which would be the better SD load?
There is a range between where 38 Special +p ends and 357 Magnum minimum starts that makes a good range for the small 357 guns using 357 cases. You do have to find a match in bullet and powder. I make that comparison with Speer Short Barrel loads, although you have to fudge a bit around their 135 gr bullet. I don't use heavy bullets in short barrels, hoping to get enough velocity for bullet expansion. Therefore, I need to use the fast powders, in my case AA#2.
Old April 3, 2017, 07:29 PM   #29
Nick_C_S

Quote:
They were at Midway a few months ago. They're due back in stock in this week.
It's been so long now, I'm kind of "over it."

Perhaps I'll keep an eye on Midway. Thanks.
Old April 3, 2017, 07:32 PM   #30
Nick_C_S

Quote:
There is a range between where 38 Special +p ends and 357 Magnum minimum starts.
Yes, the divide between the two (although what defines "minimum 357" is largely a matter of opinion) is rather cavernous. This area has its place in some applications. This might be one of them.
Old April 4, 2017, 05:55 AM   #31
bluetopper

My favorite is 12gr of 2400 behind a 158gr bullet, jacketed or cast. Very accurate at any range out of any length barrel I've ever tried. Definitly hotter than 38 but not a stem winding 357 either.
Old April 4, 2017, 09:00 AM   #32
FancyDan

I prefer to use heavier bullets and generally go with a 158 grain SWC in my snubbies. You can get some pretty powerful loads out of the snubbie with a little work. Just take a look at what Buffalo Bore is getting out of there 38sp P+ outdoorsman ammo. They are showing it will hit 1027 feet/sec out of S&W642 and that's a 158 grain projectile. I've fired them out of my LCR 38 and it is a handful.
Old April 6, 2017, 09:58 AM   #33
Unclenick
Staff

I called Speer and asked about the 135 grain Gold Dot's disposition. He told me their loaded ammunition demand for that bullet has been very high and with some law enforcement contracts being filled, only about 10% of the ones they make are being made available for the handloading market at this time. He thought that once the contracts were fulfilled, that would change and you'd see more of them available.

I also asked him about the expanding velocity. I noticed Speer's databook only has it in +P loads for .38 Special. He said 860 fps was their recommended minimum. The reason I asked is that Hornady's XTP line has a 140 grain bullet and it requires 850 fps. It's harder jacket will likely mean it wants a little less powder, but its weight is close enough that I expect you could ultimately load it to similar enough ballistics to the Gold Dot in the .357 2" gun to get good performance.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 6, 2017, 07:08 PM   #34
Real Gun

I made up this chart of the load range for a smaller 357 using the gap between 38 +p max and 357 Magnum minimum. I did not use Speer Short Barrel and instead went with a 125 gr JHP that one could actually buy and load.

My current favorite is 7.0 gr SR4756 with Mag primers, but it could be lower, per the chart.

All data is from powder company sources.

Last edited by Real Gun; April 6, 2017 at 07:17 PM.