The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 25, 2014, 11:37 PM   #1
Gbnk82

Ammo carrier stock for maverick 88

So I'm looking for a stock with a built in ammo carrier..I really like the looks of the speed feed stock as it doesn't seem it would change the base stock ergonomics much but it looks like the shells might fall out rather easy..I also love the feel of a full pistol grip stock but can't seem to find many reviews on the few of those I have found that have a built in carrier..also I'm concerned it may interfere with the slide lock button like the standard pistol grip does..anyway what are some recommendations for a good ammo carrying stock
Old April 26, 2014, 08:58 AM   #2
jonnyc

I just use the standard stock with an ammo band. A small hole in the band will accept the sling stud and keep it from sliding too much.
Old April 26, 2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Gbnk82

I have the band and have used it a bit but honestly I always end up yanking it off if I take the gun shooting because it simply isn't secure enough and after a few shot it gets in the way..that's why I'm looking for something with a built in carrier..I have considered a side saddle but I have heard it doesn't do much good for the long term life of the reciever.
Old April 26, 2014, 11:15 PM   #4
dwaawd

I used the Speedfeed for a short while. Never had a problem with the shells but it's heavier (without shells) than any other stock I have. Another option that I like is the hook and loop velcro attached to the reciever. No damage to the reciever as well and cheaper than a new stock.
Old April 28, 2014, 11:49 PM   #5
hopeinvalor

What about a Mesa Tactical Sidesaddle? I believe a Maverick 88 is the same platform as a Mossberg 500. I currently have six shot sidesaddle on my 590A1. Mesa is the most solid out of the ones I have tried. I had my concerns about hook loop mounting with regard to glue residue and heat melting. Also with a sidesaddle you're not limiting yourself to stock options. I've always had issues with LOP and prefer shorter stocks.
Old April 29, 2014, 12:16 AM   #6
Gbnk82

Yes the maverick and mossberg for all intensive purposes are the exact same gun..I'm not sure about side saddles though I heard they have a tendency to damage the reciever with long term use..how has yours held up so far and how much have you shot with it on??
Old April 30, 2014, 03:50 PM   #7
Gbnk82

I found one that looks interesting it is pheonix technologies it has a adjustable lop like a stock for an ar15 and also comes with a 5 shell holder that attaches right to the but stock..in the descriptions I found they say the stock also has a recoil reducing spring while this isn't a big deal to me because I don't have a problem with the recoil it may be nice for my wife who doesn't like it miuch..anyway has anyone heard anything or used these stocks

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/SHT-278
Old May 1, 2014, 07:07 PM   #8
BlueSmoke14

shotguncard_medium.jpg

I much prefer the velcro hook and loop side saddle cards from SOE or S&J hardware.

The loop material on the side of the receiver is no big deal.

It is easy to have extra cards pre loaded on your person for quick replacement.

Remember shotguns don't have a high capacity. Never under estimate how much you have to feed them running.

Last edited by BlueSmoke14; May 1, 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:33 AM   #9
Gbnk82

I've heard a lot about the Velcro side saddles and while they seem to get decent reviews I just don't think I trust there long term longevity.im really thinking of getting the Phoenix technologies stock I posted earlier with the built in stock carrier and i may try a Velcro side saddle just to try it out..if all else fails I may just get a regular side saddle and install it and just see how it works..if I see any negative side effects I will uninstall ASAP..

As for capacity my shotgun is 7+1 and I'd like to have at minimum an extra 5 on the gun.i also have a 25 round bandolier but that is not exactly something I would want or have time to grab in a home defense situation.i figure with the Phoenix stock and a 6 shell side saddle that brings my total round count in and on the gun to 18 which I believe is more than enough for almost any situation.probably is overkill having all that on the shotgun but then again I'd rather have the problem of to many than the problem of not enough
Old May 6, 2014, 07:58 AM   #10
hopeinvalor

Had mine for quite a few years. Never had a problem yet. But then again I probably don't practice/play with it as much as I should. The hardware seems solid, but I can see what you mean about stripping/stressing the receiver. If I remember correctly one screw replaced the ejector screw and the other replaced an entire pin. The screw that holds the side saddle and the ejector to the receiver can have a problem, but then again it's just there for support. One of my guys shoot an SPX with the Mesa Sidesaddle too. Actually got the idea from him, no problems on his end either.

Also just keep in mind the weight factor as well. Shells to the rear on the stock will make it rear heavy, shells to the front will make the center heavier. And if you have a lighted forend. . . . Now that's all sorts of off balance. If only a lighted forend wasn't such a PITA to keep up for extended periods of time.
Old May 6, 2014, 12:40 PM   #11
Gbnk82

Yeah I did plan on throwing a light on it as it will be my main home defense gun I hadn't considered how it would balance out..I've been shooting it in stock configuration for about a year and love it like that but I feel since it is being moved to mainly a home defense role It could use a makeover to fit the role better..I'll have to see how much the light throws the balance off for me before I decide for sure where to place the carrier..worst case scenario is I keep some loose rounds next to it to throw in my pocket if needed..