The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 2, 2014, 05:31 PM   #1
racerzeke

Kind of off the wall question/thought

So I was just browsing through the local ads for Curio firearms, and it made me think.... As many Lugers/Arisakas/Etc that made it back to the states and are for sale, are they as common as a collectors item OUTSIDE of the US? I imagine a higher percentage of these old firearms stayed in and around the actual place of war. So are they more common? Were they all destroyed after the war? Just an interesting thought I had. Anyone else have any opinions?
Old March 2, 2014, 06:37 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

If you are talking about Axis firearms, I am confident they are more common in the US than anywhere else.

The reasons include:

US GI's returning home after the war frequently brought back captured guns. The guy on the other side didn't.

During the occupation of Axis countries, we confiscated all the firearms we could find. Even civilians were ..encouraged to turn in all firearms. Many did.

Some stocks of captured firearms were destroyed. After the war, US businessmen scoured the globe, and bought a LOT of stuff for resale in the US.

The US, alone of the nations of the world has a huge civilian market for virtually any kind of firearm. We buy anything that works, and especially if its cheap. We even buy crap that doesn't work, if its cheap enough!
Old March 2, 2014, 08:50 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Some countries have very active collector groups and WWII military long guns are collected. Handguns are generally more restricted (banned in the U.K. if not deactivated), but some countries also have collectors who have some (sometimes many) guns. At one time, I think a collector in Switzerland had a couple of thousand Lugers, for example.

Most of the places Japanese weapons were used either have very rigid gun control laws (China, Korea, and Japan itself) so collections there are non-existent or include only "non-guns." In Japan, I understand, even swords and edged weapons are prohibited.

Jim